• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Deluxe Hosting collapsed in to a crater

SomeGuy

Veteran Member
I hate to ask, but I don't have a lot of time to burn. Can anyone please recommend a good host for a simple web site?

Some of you might know I have a little personal web site. It has been hosted by an awful company called "Deluxe Hosting" (It had previously been with Liquid Web which was OK).

I knew Deluxe Hosting sucked, but after Liquid Web decided to tell shared hosting users to die, dumping them on Deluxe Hosting, I just left my web site on it because it "worked".

Apparently now DeluxeHosting has just collapsed in to a smoldering crater or something. Their main site is still up and gleefully claiming there are no network issues, but no one is there, and my site's server (and, I noticed, others) are completely down.

It has has been down for a number of days now (since mid day on Tuesday, I think), and that includes my site e-mail, which is very important. I don't even know how a modern hosting company manages to let servers stay down this long unless they have gone out of business and didn't tell anyone.

Which means... anyone know of good web hosting for a fairly simple site?

Requirements are:
At least 2GB of file storage (a tad more would be nice)
Direct site admin file access with SCP.
Supports plain old HTTP (so far redirecting https to http with htaccess has worked).
Not sure what the current bandwidth usage was (Deluxe Hosting's stat reporting was always borked) but it could spike at times.
IMAP/POP/SMTP e-mail
Servers that don't go down when their janitor unplugs the box under their desk. :p

have a look at TSOHOST, i've had a lite hosting package with them for several years, Not sure if they still do the "Lite hosting package" though, They have servers in the USA and UK.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those as soon as I can.

A funny thing: Their web page claims they have 24/7 tech support, but when I tried calling that number other other morning I got an automated "our offices are closed right now *CLICK*" until 9:00am at which time it just rang forever. (Their alleged office location is in a time zone with one hour difference, so that would be 8am for them). Also tried calling them yesterday and their 24/7 support is also closed on weekends!

Another interesting thing - on the previous billing cycle earlier this year, I did not get any billing notification e-mail from them until they sent me an "overdue" notice.

Deluxe Hosting is probably one of those tiny one man shows that operates on an unsustainable zero margin reseller model, where they find the absolute cheapest colocating or shared hosting service and overloads as many customers they can fit on one box without it going on fire. These scummy "hosting" companies go under all the time, usually without notice.

If you only need 2 GB of hosting, I'd suggest hosting it at a small server at home. Get a raspberry pi or something and put in a 32/64 GB SD card. If that isn't possible, Namecheap has cheap shared hosting for $2.88 a month for 20 GB.

Avoid any host owned by Endurance International Group (EIG). They are terribad. A list of hosts owned by them is in the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group
Avoid 1&1 as well. Their billing department consists of sending anything one day late to a collections agency on top of their poor customer support.

I've used StableHost in the past for a project without any issues.

Haha, yeah, 1&1 is ludicrously bad. A company I work(ed) for used them for hosting, and one time they just straight-up lost one of our servers - as in, "*shrug* We don't even know where that is, somehow."

Back