• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Fanboyz boodle

I wonder how long until somebody actually digs him up and sells pieces on ebay with "L@@K Steve Jobs for real"

I need to meet the real Steve before he passes (or I do). Missed meeting Stan Lee and George Romero....... Screw all the Jobs movies! (except The pirates of Silican Valley.. I love that one)

I suspect that a letter signed by John Mauchly wouldn't go for a tenth of that.

There was a discussion over on the VAPS forum about why boxed and graded console games were selling the tens to hundreds of thousands recently (with one guy trying his boxed copy of Super Mario 2 on ebay because "why the hell not if this is actually happening" and he walked away $11000 richer) and it's suspected that with all the crypto-generated money floating around recently there's a bunch of Gen-X's and Millennials walking around with no idea where to put their money. I would not be at all surprised if this is the same case here as opposed to your usual brain-fried RDF specimens.

I've heard that it's a bit more sophisticated than that.

Supposedly a lot of the top-tier prices on things without an established market history (think of the $100k+ game cartridges, some art, or the entire NFT ecosystem) involve transactions that aren't completely arm's length.

You sell to an accomplice, knowing full well that you'll never actually see the 100k. But you've already established a paper trail that the item is worth a packet. Then you have several pivot options:

* Simple money laundering.
* Creating a backstory for a large tax write off. You donate a similar item and use the sale history to justify claiming it was worth $100k.
* Bootstrapping a pump and dump market. The first few sales are to insiders at a wash behind the scenes, but the media and paper trail makes it possible for a real sale to a sucker outside the con.

A typed signed letter on Apple letterhead by Jobs saying nothing more than he doesn't give out autographs went for about $370K.
Wonder if anyone kept Steve's toenail clippings...

A typed signed letter on Apple letterhead by Jobs saying nothing more than he doesn't give out autographs went for about $370K.

The cultists trying to clone an army of them for the Emperor.

Can you imagine what piece of you know what tissue would bring?

Back