• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A little discussion on modern shipping practices and trends...

VERAULT

Veteran Member
I ship constantly. Large boxes with computer systems packed to go all over the world. I am not new to shipping at all. But something happened today that boiled my blood and led me to start this post.

Like many sellers I try to use the best service at the best price. Most of my packages are 50lbs to 70lbs and I pay anywhere from $50 to $80 in shipping fees. I have been going back and forth with UPS and Fedex as thier rates fluctuate to and fro with one being slightly cheaper than the other. USPS unfortunately is doing everything to shoot iself in the leg with rates; for instance I just got a quote for a 51lb box and these were the rates I received {FedEx $67.00 UPS $57.00 and USPS $166.00]. I went with UPS. Now a few years back I used to be able to just contact UPS or FedEx for a pickup once I purchased the shipping bill. They charge for that now,, they charge alot for that. I live somewhat rural so I dont know if its area based but someting tells me they do this for everyone now. So when it comes time to drop off my ready to ship item fedex is easy. There is a center in town and I can just leave it there with all the other outgoing items and its usually picked up mid afternoon. UPS unfortunately makes me goto a UPS store and wait in line behind all the folks who are returning things they bought from Amazon and didnt have the forward thinking to keep the packaging, and are now aggressively complaing to the cleark to wrap it up and ship it as if they were the ones who wronged them.. Yeah I really cant abide the seemingly commonplace event of people berating clerks in the hopes they get something out of it.. I see it all the time. So Im waiting in a line with my 50+ lb box and I need to go to the counter so it gets weighed and I get my check in bill. Been doing it that way for some years now.. Its a pain but what can you do.
Well today was different. As soon as I got to the counter the clerk started with a barage of questions of which I had to let out a small laugh... "Who packed this?" "How was it packed" "what was it packed with" My answer was simple "I did, been doing this alont time. Its packed WELL, with lotsof stuff." What am I going to go into great detail of what a CRT is and my methodology of shipping antiquated picture tubes in plastic bezels? I got a reply back of "Your using the wrong kind of box, UPS will not honor a claim from you. You are not adhering to UPS packing Guidelines"
I said This is a double corrugated box. Its the thickest walled box I can find and I have been using them specifically for a while. "they dont have a UPS guranteed freight testing stamp on them" "and again you did not pack it correctly!"

These are boxes I use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home...oduct-overview

Now the clerk doesnt know me. Nor doe they know how often I pack shipments, how I pack them, etc. So this was pretty off putting to me. The box is sealed and without touching or opening the box they are claiming its badly packed. And again UPS will not honor any claim I submit. Now keep in mind up until this point the clerks have been relatively the same in regards to checking in a package, simple greetings and pleasantries and they weigh the box and print my receipt. I always offer to move the larger boxes anywhere they would like to make it easier for them. Today was the only time this type of incident has happend. After they regurgitate those lines a few times I stare at them awkwardly as if encountering a mechanic who is obviously trying to rif me off. I reply back with "you keep mentioning UPS guidelines. May I please see these guidelines so I actaully know what specific things you are talking about?" They walk away at this point and dont come back.

Now I was polite, I always was. My wife was waiting and I just wanted to drop it off and leave as I normally do. This whole thing was strange, and frustrating. I was unprovokingly getting accused of things out of the blue with no real answers to anything. The only thing I can get out of this is the obvious. UPS wants you to pay them to pack your package. They want you to buy thier packing material. They want you to buy thier boxes. Doing anything outside of this will in fact lead to a denied claim if one is submitted.

Now there is no way in hell I would trust these people to pack the types of things I am mailing. They will ALWAYS arrive damaged if that was the case.

I pride myself on my packing. I pack better then most and It costs me. Extra time, materials, etc costs more but my items arrive safe and sound if unmollested.
Now FedEX has never lost/damaged a package from me yet. UPS has. And they denied my claim. I had a package going to Maryland which isnt far and it arrived horribly smashed. Unfortunately the buyer didnt have the wherewithall to have it take back or refused delivery... so that was a process.

Anyway what I got out of this was simple. I am now done with UPS forever when it comes to my shipping needs. I will just pay slightly more to deal with FedEx.

This unfortunately is just another example of capitalism trends today where it becomes a self defeating cycle. Im sure more than a few of you notice my bitterness towards societal changes as time moves forward. I just cant accept change for the worse in situations and just "accepting it". I have never been able to do that. It feels wrong and cowardly and, well ,very unmasculine to do that. I am sure that isnt the best way of describing it but the gist is accepting a bad situation and dealing with it never EVER helps anyone. So I dont. I have always had a problem solving mind. There is always a solution if you just weigh the options and think about it. Doing nothing is the worst solution to a problem.

Customer service is gone. Now all we have is automated phone lines with various dead ends like a simplistic and un-fun choose your own adventure book. And if you can get a human being on the line they barely meet that criteria as a foreigner with a weak grasp on English language, regurgitating a script and somehow offers less help than that dead end phone system. We pay real money for services and we get less and less in return with the rates going up and up.

I hate to sound like an old man.. But things before were in fact better. They can be again. It just takes change... We so desperately need to fix this horrible trend.

Mick

Last edited:
I think UPS needs more real competition to see what customer service should be, or just to go out of business. I think you are right not to go back there.

I don't understand how they can claim "It's pack wrong" if the box is taped shut and they can't see how it's packed. But I think you are right that they do not want you packing. They want to pack and want you to pay for that. I have rarely had UPS or anyone pack stuff for me. Like you I pack extra well. I know what can happen to these boxes and often does. Sometimes it seems like someone punted boxes I have received. And don't get me started on trying to call a place to talk to someone. They seem to make those automated menus so you CAN'T reach someone.
I don't know how to fix all of this, but agree something should be done.

revolution man... everyone is afraid of the word.. I dont know why.. It gets things done. ...even on a small scale.

I had to change my shipping address recently because UPS claimed the 45953-4 (which has been above the door for 30+ years) HAS to be "45953 SUITE 4" and they tried to charge the person who shipped it $18 for a "invalid address"

I wonder if they changed their data base system and now addresses can't have '-' in them (like California DMV)

The current driver is completely clueless. He is constantly leaving packages at the wrong unit.
He lost a package of mine 3 weeks ago containing an irreplaceable card cage, and UPS was incapable of finding it.
I talked to the driver about it earlier this week, didn't remember anything about it and told me no one at UPS asked
him about it.

I will use ANY other shipper if I have a choice

We've had UPS issues as well. The local store is pretty terrible, so we go to the farther one. They're much nicer. The final shoe dropped when they decided to charge $2 to drop off USPS packages. I appreciate it's a service they're not obligated to provide, but it's like someplace charging for napkins or Iced Tea refills -- sorry, taking my business elsewhere.

We made a UPS claim for a lost package, all the documentation, never received anything. Not worth fighting over it.

We recently sent another package, just an envelope. It got caught in a belt and shredded. They say they're going to refund the shipping. They have to send a check to the store who then cuts a check to us. o_O. "Ok" I'm not confident I'll ever see any of that money either.

I've not had that experience, but it doesn't surprise me. I've had Office Depot refuse to sell me a laptop without buying their Warranty. I even had Fedex send me a delivery notification, but the person said they never got the package. I opened a case and they sent me a check in about a week. In the meantime, the package was actually delivered. I tried to contact them to let them know I wasn't going to cash the check and to cancel the claim, but there was no way to do that, so I just shredded it.

I can still drop off packages at the UPS distribution center here where I am from. It's just someone at a desk and they don't pack or sell boxes at all even if I wanted them to do that. It's not a store so it hasn't been an issue. Same with Fedex- I've never gone to the store, just the distribution center. They give me a receipt and I'm on my way. I add extra insurance with 'insurepost.com". See if you can find where the Fedex distribution center is instead of the old "Kinkos" commercial store and see if they treat you better.

But the sentiment is 100% correct. Every day I feel like more of a stranger in this world. Maybe that happens to everyone as they age.

I would suspect UPS is trying to cut down on paying for broken items, wants you to pay them to pack it for extra profit, and the clerk is new to the job and is a jerk.

I think it might have been Fedex but one shipper is having to reroute packages to different facilities because they are running at 66% normal capacity for lack of workers and it is costing them money.

See if you can find where the Fedex distribution center is instead of the old "Kinkos" commercial store and see if they treat you better.

FedEx is not the problem. I mentioned there is a drop off location in town for FedEx. Thier hub is about 50 minutes away. Either way they have not been a problem. UPS is what my initial story was about.

FedEx is not the problem. I mentioned there is a drop off location in town for FedEx. Thier hub is about 50 minutes away. Either way they have not been a problem. UPS is what my initial story was about.
FedEx is pretty good. I bought 1000 certain little widgets and the delivery man would not leave the case on my porch, and waited until I carried it into the house.

agreed they still supply a superuir service. service is the word. they sre trying to sell things when shipping is the servixe they supply. maybe i should check out dhl?

agreed they still supply a superuir service. service is the word. they sre trying to sell things when shipping is the servixe they supply. maybe i should check out dhl?
Before I retired back in '07, we had DHL forced on us for a while. They were dumb - didn't know how to pickup or where the local delivery points were. Someone at HQ decided they would be a good deal. You know, the type of person who had some authority over these things but never had the opportunity to actually use them. Maybe DHL has there stuff together by now.

20 years ago i was a technician for Dell. i used to drive to the airport every morning to the dhl hub and wait for the morning freight flight to deliver the parts i had ordered. my colleagues and i would divy up the parts and head to our repairs. granted i wasnt at the end of thier deliveries; i circumvented that by picking the parts up direct but the system seemed fine. there just wasnt many dhl hubs in the area. im not even aware of where the closest one is to me now.

In the early 2000s I worked at a garage that would get overnight parts from airborne express. They did a great job and I don’t recall them ever not getting us our shipments the next day. They later were bought by dhl, I think, but nothing changed for us except the van was now yellow. Probably because it was the same driver and everything.

i completely forgot airborne express was bought by dhl! thats right the same centers i mentioned above were airborne express first. i completely forgot about that!

i completely forgot airborne express was bought by dhl! thats right the same centers i mentioned above were airborne express first. i completely forgot about that!

I remember the Olden Days when there was a particular PC accessories company who apparently had their warehouse right next to an Airborne Express center. The novelty at the time was something like "Order by 3pm get by 10am". And it wasn't even stupid expensive (at least to me as the consumer).

So i thought this related to this thread so im bringing it up. Anyone who sells or ships regularly is familisr with ebays and paypal shipping label creation. But both have drastically changed again. I had a buyer reach out to me about an issue only 2 weeks after i had sold them something. I wanted to send them another package but in that short window ebay would no longer allow me to create a label for them.. in the past I could create multiple labels for the same sale up to 30 to 60 days later.

So I jumped on paypal who also offers a print shipping label service which was easy to use. Apparently now you have to sign up to some membership and pay $10.00 a month just to make shipping labels.

Someone directed me to PirateShip.com which I used to complete that order. it worked well enough but did have adds and threw me on to a marketing email list i had to take myself off of.

what a shame.. I guess eBay really made the deathblow to paypal this year with thier seemingly illegal payment system. i dont see paypal lasting more than another couple years.

Anyone else run into the same shipping issues?

So, what's so magic about a shipping label? What are these things doing that you can do in a word processor?

Im not sure what you mean. Those services I mentioned were offering discounted shipping labels. Not address labels.

Back