• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why facebook, insta , whatsapp server down yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldb175

Anyone have any information regarding why all of suuden all of Mark Zukerberg social media platform server down ?

Fakebook got what they deserved that's what happened. Nice to rest easy knowing Facebook wasn't trying to track everything I do for a few hours (even though I don't have a Facebook account and I already block them manually).

Honestly it should be illegal for companies like Google and Facebook to track you if you don't have accounts with them (or at all without VERY EXPLICIT permission) yet they do so anyways. Guess Congress is too busy getting their sweet bribes from them to do anything about it.

Too bad it didn't stay down forever.

Yea, it wasn't DNS, someone fat fingered a bad BGP configuration. This destroyed their packet routing. Since they had no routing, they could no longer use that fancy internet they just used to wreck their internet, to fix their internet. That means someone had to go to a data center, find the cage, and plug in a serial cable and fix the core of their routers.

Easier said than done, and not a scenario they had practiced or had well documented. Anecdotes, rumors, and hearsay suggest they couldn't find the proper cable.

Here's a summary of BGP: https://www.cloudflare.com/it-it/learning/security/glossary/what-is-bgp/

I eagerly await their post mortem on this.

As per the policies of the forum, please keep the discussion civil. Technical discussions are fine. The comments about bribes are not acceptable here. If you have evidence of criminal activities, bring it to law enforcement. Otherwise, keep your conspiracy theories to yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back