• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your Modern Computer

Mine is a work in progress custom box. It's not super new but it seems to play Half-Life 2 fine.

Mobo: MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR
CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.0Ghz but clocked right now to 2.4)
Ram: Three 1Gb Pc32000 Corsair DDR ram sticks (Dual channel active)
Hard drives: Standard Seagate 500Gb SATA hard disks
DVD 1: Stock Samsung DVD reader
DVD 2: NEC DVD reader/writer (DL compatible with a firmware upgrade)
Floppy: Epson 2-in-1 combo drive (both 3 1/2" and 5 1/4" in a single drive slot)
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 AGP (The latest and best AGP card on the market)

Other random things include a Sound Blaster Live! package that I need to upgrade, enough usb and firewire ports to make your head spin and a 128Mb Magneto-Optical disc drive. Problem is however that I now have to find a PSU capable of at least 30A on the 12V rail.

I use a Mac Pro
Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quads
2GB RAM (Plan to add more)
320GB HD
OS X Leopard, Fedora Core
ATI Radeon HD 2600XT
Dual Layer DVD Burner

Mobo: Asus P5K
CPU: Core 2 Duo 6400
Ram: 6 GB DDR2 PC800
Hard drives: Samsung 250 GB, Hitachi 160 GB
DVD : NEC DVD reader/writer
Floppy: Tandon 5'25 1.2 MB :D
Video: Nvidia 8800 GT

I have a year-old Dell T3400 Workstation with the Q6600 quad core, 2 GB RAM, and a Quadro FX1700 open-GL graphics board for 3-D apps. Got it cheap off our ebay-equivalent auction site with no warranty, about half price and never been used.

This is my first brand name PC, got tired of custom builds. This time I wanted the "system engineering" done properly from the ground up by one reputable vendor, just like all the machines in my vintage collection. It certainly has turned out to be a well-build and totally reliable computer.

The only minor downside is that it's designed to Intel's BTX standard, which has been quietly rejected by the PC industry as too much of a major change all at once (much like the original ATX 1.0). BTX motherboards are designed as a mirror image to the current ATX spec to place the PCI/PCI-E cards back to "component-side up" as they were in the ISA bus days. And the chipset placement has been moved to take advantage of the CPU fan for cooling, rather than needing its own arrangement. The downside being is that I'm not likely to find a replacement motherboard if I decide to overclock it in the future.

Last edited:
I was just wondering what everyone use's for there Modern Compuer?

If you could List Make Model and Specs!

Here Is Mine:

Lenovo Ideacentre K210
Intel Celeron 1.6Ghz
2GB RAM
300 GB HDD
DVD-CD RW DRIVE
Windows Vista.
22" LCD Widescreen

I built my own computer, nothing fancy, single core 3.04 pentium HT using windows xp..

Main computer:

Mac Pro 2x 3ghz quad core
4gb ram
2x 250gb hdd
1x 320gb hdd
1x 1tb hdd
Geforce 7300GT

2nd computer:

PC
Asus M2N32-SLI DELUXE
AMD 6000+ X2 @3.2ghz
2gb ram
1x 250gb hdd
1x 320gb hdd
2x GF8800GT in SLi

These are the PC's I use daily, have a PIII 1.4ghz tuatlin system + an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ system as backup PC's in case my main PC dives

My system's a few years old already, bought it when I retired.
I'm running a;

Compaq SR1620NX PC
AMD Sempron 2 GHz CPU
1.5 Gig RAM
2 DVD burners internal
810 Gig in hard drive storage
GeForce 7300GS Video card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound card
Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers

My secondary system is a;

eMachines T2200
AMD Athlon 1.8 GHz CPU
which contains a video capture card.
I use this machine for running all my vintage 8-bit machines hooked through the capture card for video display. That way my modern monitor functions for use with my Atari 600XL, Atari 800XL, Commodore VIC-20, Commodore 128 (in 40 & 80 column modes), Commodore Plus/4, Tandy Color Computer 2, TI994/A, Apple IIe and my Apple IIc.

hehe

Prior to this one I had a Power Mac G5 2x 2ghz...and prior to that a dual Xeon 2.66hz PC
Have always been a "dual CPU guy" :p

Is your Mac Pro the first gen. like mine?
No, mines the early '08 model.

Before this, I had an IBM Thincentre with a P4 prescott, running a hacked OS X install. That's what got me into intel OS X. Before even that, the original Mac mini overclocked to 1.5GHz...

My approach is to just put the parts together that I like and can afford. Apart from other machines around the house, there's actually 5 networked computers by my chair in a little cluster. Two DOS ones are mostly just storage and one Linux one is for a second monitor/browser. The remaining two are my main machines that I use constantly. They are:

ID: ANA
CPU: Intel Pentium 133 MHz
Mainboard: ASUS TXP4
RAM: 128 MBytes (710K free)
HD: 6.4GB FUJITSU
NIC: Intel LAN 595
Optical: Lite-On 40X CDrom
Modem: U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT V4.7.32
3.5" Floppy

ID: SCO
CPU: Intel P4 511 2.8GHz 1MBcache 533FSB
Mainboard: Intel D915gevlk
RAM: 3GB DDR2
HD: Seagate SATA 8MB 8MS 300GB HD
Optical: Liteon SHW-1635 DVD burner
Optical: LG CDRW CD burner
Sound: Creative EXTIGY usb, and onboard
NIC: on board and 1 card
PSU: ZALMAN 400W silent PS
3.5" floppy

For accessing 5.25" floppies I network into one of the other DOS boxes. I haven't paid any attention to the video chips since that is probably the least important part of a computer to me. I'd use green TTL screens on everything if I could get away with it! Regarding OEM computers, I did buy one for my missus a couple of years ago and it came with an OS pre-installed. It turned out to be poorely designed (software and hardware) and caused us quite some trouble so it was, all in all, an expensive experiment. I've heard about other people having trouble with OEM computers too.

My main PC:

HP a1483w
2.2GHz AMD 64 Athlon X2(dual core)
Windows XP Media Center 2005 x86
Kubuntu 8.10 x64
3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM
250GB SATA, 160GB IDE, 100GB external USB
Multi-card reader, firewire, 1.44MB FDD
LightScribe DVDRW +/- CDRW
Has HD audio, as well as multiple plugs for 5.1 surround sound

Not a half bad system, I really like that it has an AMD 64; it allows me to run both x64 and x86 programs. I wish it shipped with the 64 bit Windows Media Center, as that would greatly boost Windows performance. I did install Kubuntu in x64 config, to give me a bit more freedom. Thinking of selling when I get my laptop working, which will be my third-dary computer once I get it working. It is an IBM Thinkpad T21. Needs RAM, so until I get that I won't know anything more about it, such as processor speed. I THINK it has a PIII 800MHz in it.

Secondary machine:

IBM PC AT
8MHz 286
MS-DOS 5.0
640K RAM(may expand that later)
1.2MB FDD, as well as a 360K drive
External 1.44MB FDD, internal 30MB HDD
Color IBM monitor, 80x40
4200 baud internal modem

I really love my IBM, it runs like a charm. Need to rig up a clock battery, though. If I can find an external 5.25 disk drive, I think I'll make the PS/2 70 my main machine. I love it's small design and how productive it is, but I can't have a secondary machine that doesn't have a 5.25 drive.

--Jack

Just picked up yesterday (as in paying $20 for it) an Antek tower with an ECS Socket 754 mobo (5 PCI slots!) and some AGP graphics card with a fan and a big heatsink on it. CPU is an Athlon64 3000+. Guy even left a gig of memory in it and had the manuals and setup CD.

I'm going to try to shoehorn the mobo into my HP Vectra desktop case (PIII 866 MHz; cost: $25 in 2001). That Antek box is too big and noisy.

No keyboard or monitor, but it had floppy and hard disk drives. Guy I bought it from was going to some multicore setup.

Why do people throw this stuff out?

Depends how ya define 'modern' I s'poze. My most used, and perhaps least vintage computer is a 9-year-old Dell laptop that's held together with duct tape, a few extra screws, a little twine, some safety wire, etc, and currently is stationary, propped up on the couch since I can't move it cause the damn hinges busted again! Inside, it has some uchips, and like, y'know, wires and stuff, and just enough metal to keep it from falling apart on the way home from the computer store.

The second most-used box is my UCI luggable, '386SX-33, which has been recently resurrected.

--T

Back