• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

asteroid's MP3 player

asteroid

Ive hotrodded my old Pentium 90 Dell into a kick ass MP3 player

http://freespace.virgin.net/asteroid.76/mp3appliance/

features 10Gb hard disk, front mounted LCD display and remote control, runs MPXPLAY and superb dos MP3 player which is ideal for imbedded applications.

some tweaking to be done, it will eventually run completely without monitor or keyboard :)
mp3box.jpg

Very nice!

Is that an old rackmount server unit? What are the rest of the specifications? Does it run fast enough to play and rip CDs without skipping, etc?

Erik

mp3 box

mp3 box

no its the original Dell case

The machine is a normal desktop unit, theres a pic on my site what it used to look like. :)

A friend accurately drilled and cut the front to put the LCD and infared sensor in, plus I needed to saw away some the chassis to make it all fit.

I then resprayed it with paint from model shop for the plastic parts and the metal case done with car paint.

I have a P150 (maxed out, not overclocked) plays songs fine with no glitching, but encoding of WAV>MP3s takes a long time (about 30 mins for 4 minutes of audio)

I recommend if you have a low end Pentium base unit at least 90Mhz to download the MPXPLAY DOS MP3 software, its great and very customisable.

I can't remember the name, but a quick Google should sort that... There's a really cool Linux MP3 setup, intended for embedded systems, that at least two manufacturers are providing with recased laptop motherboards as in-car MP3 boxes. :D

It's along the same lines as the Linux Router Project, inasmuch as you download a boot disk image containing a fully installed Linux system preconfigured with command-line MP3 apps and a scripting language for writing your own "front end". I found the link off a Linux newsletter last year, but sadly didn't bother bookmarking it...

Back