• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Computer guy's way to fix a toilet (true story)

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
I have unofficially become the maintenance man for the store's land onwer. Here's today:

He calls me, says the dog groomer's toilet is running, off and on. I decide to check it out.

As I am looking at it, it seems fine. I think to myself, "I have to observe it for long periods of time but I can't be here for all that time."

The first thing that came into my head is to put a water level sensor kit in it, and hook it up to a data logger in the tank. This way I would have a downloadable file to tell me if the water is rising/falling overnight.

From that location, I could then FTP it to my little server program and have running on my computer over the WiFi here via my laptop. After that I can convert the data into a very readable PDF file and print it out, and have an email-able document I can send to the land owner.

Then most likely I will have to change the rubber flap in the tank.

Maybe I will *just* replace the flap in the tank and see what happens. But it really was the first thought that came to my mind. Had to share.

Nathan

lol. You'll have a fine spreadsheet of your acquaintance's bowel movements. But yeah, plan A is analytical and cool, plan B is prolly a better cost and time solution.

I think your solution is completely justifiable, it could save on water.

It could be used to monitor the tank for future issues such as water leaking, or overflowing. Just program it to email you when the water level changes too slowly or does not return to the correct level.

In fact, add another sensor in the bowl that sends off an email when the bowl fills up too much (and perhaps gives off audible instructions to grab the plunger).

As kind as it may seem, the wife won't appreciate the voice synthesized scale you can build into the seat. Ya know, you try and try but we're always under appreciated.

Scale built into the seat?

How about a gas chromatograph. You can keep track of your smelliest visits. Plot those in a log along with your daily food intake and you can optimize it for when you want to torture your wife/kids.

Back