• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Case modding mailing list

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
I'm looking for a good case modding mailing list to subscribe to. I'm just starting to wet my feet in this, and need a good bunch of people to share and collab ideas with.

I would do it here, but this is a vintage computer forum, and my computers a Pentium II 250

does it count ?

does it count ?

Does it count as case modding if you use duck tape to additional drives in place ?
I wonder if it would be acceptable as a topic on VCF if you mod vintage case, like that TRS-80 Model III someone did ? I could see myself modding a Mac 512 or plus, or something like that. If you rip out the CRT & replace it with a LCD panel, you got all kinds a room in there and a built-in handle too.
patscc

I have a shell to a Mac Classic I've wanted to do something with but never got around to it. Right now its a cable storage bin.

ooh, I have a Mac classic that I want to do something with, too. I was thinking of making it a different color, maybe adding a few LEDs, holes in the side... there are a lot of possibilities.

TandyMan, I'd start a thread about it here and see where it goes! So far five posts, looks like a good start to me.

My current case mod project: Genesis in a rack mount case, complete with room for expansion! Just finding parts, retrofitting is a chore (but worth it).

Nathan

I have a shell to a Mac Classic I've wanted to do something with but never got around to it. Right now its a cable storage bin.

Maybe if you have a small monitor, a 3 1/2" floppy drive and a small 8088 motherboard you could make a Macintosh XT! Or if abominations aren't your thing, a MacQuarium perhaps?

linuxlove said:
Maybe if you have a small monitor, a 3 1/2" floppy drive and a small 8088 motherboard you could make a Macintosh XT! Or if abominations aren't your thing, a MacQuarium perhaps?

The MacQuarium thing is a bit overdone and I've had fish in the past, not really interested in doing that again. I was going to go the mini-ITX route but little LCD screens are really expensive. It'll probably just stay a storage bin for stuff since its in bad shape anyway. I thought about turning my iMac into a kitty bed but my cat might be a bit big for it.

I was going to go the mini-ITX route but little LCD screens are really expensive.

LCDs are quite inexspensive these days. What size panel would be needed?

It be pretty cool to see a "Mac Classic" running Windows 7 :D

I'm looking for a good case modding mailing list to subscribe to. I'm just starting to wet my feet in this, and need a good bunch of people to share and collab ideas with.

I would do it here, but this is a vintage computer forum, and my computers a Pentium II 250

I don't know about a mailing list, but I'd bet there is a forum out there somewhere for it.

I googled "case mod forum" and found
this and this and some others.

I have done some minor mods, it can be alot of fun and very rewarding. It may fit in on these forums, but not as well as the ones linked above.

Hi! I hope this is on the "case mod" topic so here goes. If not, I apologize. Mods, feel free to delete or move as appropriate.

Are there any hobbyists interested in S-100 and with the sheet metal skills needed to modify an off the shelf case for an S-100 motherboard and power supply? Alternatively, design and fabricate a chassis for an S-100 motherboard and power supply?

I am working on an S-100 backplane project and am hoping there is someone else out there who would be interested in making a case for it. More than just a "one off" though, something other hobbyists could also obtain without breaking the bank.

The dimensions of an S-100 chassis are radically different than any PC based system I know of. I suspect modification of PC case technology to support S-100 would be difficult. However, using sheet metal to create a new case might be possible.

Its something to consider. If anyone has any ideas, I'd certainly appreciate hearing them. Here are some examples of historical S-100 systems to give some ideas of possible approaches. I like the Vector Graphic approach myself; its an upper and lower sheet metal clam shell with card guides along the sides and front and back plates. It looks to be about 6 major pieces (top, bottom, left and right rails, front and back plates)

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/s100/index.htm

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

The dimensions of an S-100 chassis are radically different than any PC based system I know of. I suspect modification of PC case technology to support S-100 would be difficult. However, using sheet metal to create a new case might be possible.
Are the dimensions really that different to a large desktop case or a medium-sized tower on its side? I think your backplane would probably fit quite nicely where the motherboard usually goes, although you'd still need some kind of card cage to stop things rattling around. You'd even get a few 5.25" drive bays for free. Even the PSU could go in the usual place if it were small enough. At risk of sounding completely mad: how about making mounting holes on the backplane compatible with an ATX motherboard?

Are the dimensions really that different to a large desktop case or a medium-sized tower on its side? I think your backplane would probably fit quite nicely where the motherboard usually goes, although you'd still need some kind of card cage to stop things rattling around. You'd even get a few 5.25" drive bays for free. Even the PSU could go in the usual place if it were small enough. At risk of sounding completely mad: how about making mounting holes on the backplane compatible with an ATX motherboard?

Hi! The dimensions of an S-100 system are formidable. My S-100 backplane is nearly a square of about 7.5" on a side. Assuming ~1/2" standoffs from the bottom of the case to mount the backplane the boards themselves plug in perpendicular. S-100 boards are 5" x 10" plus the edge connector. That means a case for even a small S-100 system has to house a volume of roughly 8" long, 10" wide, and 6" deep for just the backplane and cards.

The power supply would likely double the length needed. So for "back of the envelope" quick math, the case would be roughly 16" long, 11" wide, and 6" deep. That is a massive case! I've seen some old server cases that might work and even some rack mount cases. Maybe something like this could be modified with appropriate card guide rails.

http://www.circotech.com/rm-4430-4u-rackmount-case-15-4-deep.html

Your idea of making the backplane mounting holes ATX compatible is interesting. If there is a respin of the PCB I will definitely consider it.

Andrew Lynch

LCDs are quite inexspensive these days. What size panel would be needed?

It be pretty cool to see a "Mac Classic" running Windows 7 :D
NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Ubuntu! UBUNTU!!! Shun! Shuuuuuuuuuun!!!

Lol. Making it run windows would be like sucumbing to the will of the all-powerfull Gates!!

Hi! The dimensions of an S-100 system are formidable. My S-100 backplane is nearly a square of about 7.5" on a side. Assuming ~1/2" standoffs from the bottom of the case to mount the backplane the boards themselves plug in perpendicular. S-100 boards are 5" x 10" plus the edge connector. That means a case for even a small S-100 system has to house a volume of roughly 8" long, 10" wide, and 6" deep for just the backplane and cards.
The Standard ATX form factor is 12" x 9.6", PCI cards come in at 4.2" (albeit including the edge connector) but plenty of towers have a good couple of inches clearance beyond that. I have some Lian Li PC-60 (superceded by the PC-8 now, I believe) cases which are really roomy inside.

The power supply would likely double the length needed.
Yes, hence the "if it's small enough" disclaimer ;-) The traditional linear supplies were pretty massive but a modern switcher would probably weigh in around ATX-ish size or a little larger.

Hi! I hope this is on the "case mod" topic so here goes. If not, I apologize. Mods, feel free to delete or move as appropriate.

Are there any hobbyists interested in S-100 and with the sheet metal skills needed to modify an off the shelf case for an S-100 motherboard and power supply? Alternatively, design and fabricate a chassis for an S-100 motherboard and power supply?

I am working on an S-100 backplane project and am hoping there is someone else out there who would be interested in making a case for it. More than just a "one off" though, something other hobbyists could also obtain without breaking the bank.

Andrew Lynch

Hasn't Grant already done this? Perhaps he could share his plans, fabricator info, etc? (IIRC, He already has, somewhere)...

--T

[snip]
Yes, hence the "if it's small enough" disclaimer ;-) The traditional linear supplies were pretty massive but a modern switcher would probably weigh in around ATX-ish size or a little larger.

Hi! Yes, with S-100 not only is the chassis problematic the power supply is as well. The normal S-100 power supply provides +8VDC, +18VDC, and -18VDC *unregulated* to the boards. That is a very strange combination. You can substitute SMPSUs but there is no drop in "one for one" replacement.

Most S-100 power supplies are old fashioned linear units or custom jobs. Sometimes you can use a combination of an 8VDC SMSPU and an other +/-15VDC SMSPU. On my system, I am using an open frame 8VDC SMPSU and a 15 VDC SMSPU and another -15VDC SMPSU for a total of *three* units to make an equivalent supply power. S-100 power supplies are a PITA.

Andrew Lynch

Hasn't Grant already done this? Perhaps he could share his plans, fabricator info, etc? (IIRC, He already has, somewhere)...

--T

Hi! Yes, Grant did a great job with the AltairKit but at $1500 each they are *way* out of consideration for me. Maybe someone with much deeper pockets. I've been trying to make an S-100 system "on the cheap" thats a lot more affordable for home brew enthusiasts.

Andrew Lynch

You have? now this is something i might be interested in, are you looking for a testing team?

Hi! Well, more of a development team. Check out the thread over on the S-100 forum. I have a small number of S-100 backplane PCBs available for testing. However, testing an S-100 backplane introduces a whole host of other issues such as the chassis, the power supply, etc which bedevil S-100 home brew projects with S-100 weirdness.

So far I have like 5(?) S-100 backplane PCBs left of the initial batch. I have one partially assembled awaiting some parts delivery. Also have my power supply system mostly done although awaiting some parts for it too.

The chassis is completely not done at all which is why I am asking the case modding thread if anyone is interested in some serious case mods to make an S-100 chassis. I am thinking the hacked 4U rackmount case may be the way to go.

Andrew Lynch

Back