• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

do different browsers display HTML differently?

vic user

Veteran Member
i just started about a month or so ago, reading up on how to write web pages.

i have been doing up some pages just using a text editor, and then uploading them to my freenet space.

one thing that i have noticed, is that the web pages look slightly different if i view them using mozilla and then view them using explorer.

it is just little things like explorer not having say only having one blank line between text yet mozilla having two.

why would this be?

here is an example:
-----
<PRE>

Peter Cushing Movies

2 of 2 stories
  1. <LI>Dr. Who and the Daleks (dvd)
    <LI>Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (dvd)
-----

if i use explorer, the text appears like this:

-----
Peter Cushing Movies

2 of 2 stories
1. Dr. Who and the Daleks (dvd)
2. Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (dvd)
-----

if i use mozilla, the text appears like this:

-----
Peter Cushing Movies
2 of 2 stories

-----

I am not the swiftest when it comes to browsers or HTML, so maybe it is something very simple?

chris

one more time, :oops:

>PRE<

>P<>B<Peter Cushing Movies>/B<

2 of 2 stories>OL<>LI<Dr. Who and the Daleks (dvd) 1965
>LI<Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (dvd) 1966
>/OL<

Peter Cushing Movies

2 of 2 stories

Maybe taking a screenshot and upload to your web page is a better way to explain what you mean. But yes, there are minor differences both in the rendering engines and the default fonts etc.

Even more interesting it gets that day you're ready to read up on cascading style sheets and try to apply it according to the specification and find that some of the items does not seem to make any difference at all, while other only work in one browser or some work in all browsers but give different results. Some browsers follow the specification, while other on purpose (?) break it, and it is not one which always is "bad" and one which always is "good".

Back