• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

These Ol' Vinyls are coming onto CD in some shape or form

These Ol' Vinyls are coming onto CD in some shape or form

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not sure (There's a simular book called 1001 Must see movies!)

• Total voters

CP/M User

Veteran Member
> Okay, I collect a lot of old stuff which is on CD - I generally have old
> Albums - put onto CD - as they were on Vinyl, sometimes I can get 2
> old albums onto one CD!

Do you know what I mean by this? Okay think of the big groups like the
Beatles, Pink Floyds which made albums - for which at the time Vinyl was
usually the main pressings done for these albums. However since CD has
become the popular form of media - albums like "Dark Side of the
Moon", "Abbey Road" for example are as they once were on Vinyl. Okay.

Occassionally a CD might be available which has 2 original (vinyl) Albums
on one CD! ;-) I've noticed they're done this for Procal Harum, Johnny
Rivers (essential listening for myself) as well as a recent Del Shannon
pick-up (long time ago I also picked up a Garry Lewis & The Playboys CD
which does this as well, I've got somewhere).

But now I seem to be collecting CDs which includes all the songs from
song album, yet they tend to jumble them it. To cut to the chase I had
Gene Clark's CD & The Lemon Pipers - Best Of (which has all the songs
from their Debut album Green Tambourine).

Some recent Discoveries I found:-

* The Bee Gees "Brillant From Birth" (a 2CD pack) - a collection of a lot
of their songs they did here in Australia. They also made some albums
one called Mondays Rain. Sure enough a lot of the tracks from the 2nd
CD includes all the tracks from this album.

* The Allusions Anthology - A lesser known Aussie band between (1966-
1968) which had an album in 1967 (simply known as The Allusions). This
was a bizarre coincidence - I was going to try find the Vinyl album (I
thought what would be the chance of having a CD of them), sure enough
I found an anthology album for them on CD!. I think this basically the
complete works from that group & sure enough their entire album they
did back in 1967 was there all jumbled up. Interesting group for some
band I've never listen to before! ;-)

Is there anybody out there with some original album which has been all
jumbled up onto some CD? I guess when you start collecting Hundreds of
CD the chances are increased. Maybe I'm missing a lot which I already
have! ;-)

CP/M User.

There is a series of those books: "1001 books you must read", "1001 songs you must hear", "1001 movies you must see", "1001 women you must be with".. err, maybe not the last one.

With jumbled up, you mean that the songs are in a different order than the vinyl, maybe missing one or two songs or songs from a different album were added without further notice? I don't have many CD's to start with, but something I'm not too keen on is when the record company more or less samples an old vinyl, filters out the crackle and layout a CD from the sound. If they don't have access to master tapes and want to put some effort into making the "new" record sound as good as it can and perhaps should, I think the company should think twice before re-issuing an old album.

On the other hand, even these days artists put out new vinyls. Not so often, and maybe only in certain genres, but there exists a small selection. Often DJs get dance music on vinyl so they can scratch more effectively than one can work with a CD. The latest release I've heard of is Per Gessle's (male half of Roxette) newest project "Son of a Plumber" which supposedly is a homage of the music he grew up to in the late 60'ties, 70'ties and a bit into the 80'ties. This record is available on a double CD or double LP. The vinyl release even includes one extra bonus song that they decided not to put on the CD.

"carlsson" wrote:

> There is a series of those books: "1001 books you must read", "1001
> songs you must hear", "1001 movies you must see", "1001 women you
> must be with".. err, maybe not the last one.

Oh okay, so those books are fairly well known. The "1001 Movies you must see" (before you die) or something in that regard - over here has that Psycho cover (of the shower scene from the 1960 version).

> With jumbled up, you mean that the songs are in a different order than > the vinyl, maybe missing one or two songs or songs from a different
> album were added without further notice?

Yeah, their've taken one of their original albums & jumbled it up on CD. In some cases yes they take some songs from another album. My Gene Clark album Echoes has typical tracks Clark had with the Byrds (including some early pre-Tambourine Man album stuff from early 1965) & the entire Gene Clark & The Gosdin Brothers album he did after he left the Byrds (in 1967) - which was in a period he was still with Columbia though.

My "Best of The Lemon Pipers" album as their "Green Tambourine" album complete (jumbled up) & a large portion of their second album (the CD's missing two songs from it - it would have been impossible to put them on I think - since the CDs virtually crammed - 75 minutes or something!). "Jungle Marmalade" - unfortunately I didn't really feel like going out getting this album just over 2 songs ("Hard Core" & "I Need Someone (The Painter)") but the rest of the album has some interesting stuff The Lemon Pipers produced. Unfortunately they broke up after this - after having initial problems with their record company Buddah records. Aparantly this group wanted to contribute their own work to the Psychedellic scene, but Buddah wanted them to perform Pop songs & "Green Tambourine" was just one of those - which the group didn't want to do. Strangely enough it became their best known track becomming a #1 I believe (not sure if it did well from where they were - perhaps).

The aussie group I got the yesturday - The Allusions just had one album released. But they had a few Singles as well & their album had new material (about 7 tracks) specific to it. Though their singles also had other songs (not found on the album) - which this CD has grabbed & stuck on. There's also some rare bonus tracks (aparantly these were tracks before they were known as The Allusions - though the same band lineup). But it makes an interesting CD for a group which only went for a couple of years (bit like The Lemon Pipers - except I think situations were different).

> I don't have many CD's to start with, but something I'm not too keen
> on is when the record company more or less samples an old vinyl,
> filters out the crackle and layout a CD from the sound. If they don't
> have access to master tapes and want to put some effort into making
> the "new" record sound as good as it can and perhaps should, I think
> the company should think twice before re-issuing an old album.

Yes on in one case I know - The Moody Blues "Day's of Futures Passed" album, the original master tapes were damaged - they had other inferior mastertape backups, to me the CD will never get that sound which the Vinyl had (since the Vinyl used the original tapes). Course some of the songs are intact (Nights in White Satin) - but some of the more interesting stuff from it didn't sound right.

But yeah, I think when someone has only had the vinyl as a source - they try to get a good source of it & use that, cause you'd still get the occassional crack, pop. Occassionally I think though that some go to lengths to get the master tape & if there's none to be found of certain songs, they have to go to the vinyl (try & get a good source of it). I found a bit of this earlier on when I was collecting best of type stuff.

> On the other hand, even these days artists put out new vinyls. Not so
> often, and maybe only in certain genres, but there exists a small
> selection. Often DJs get dance music on vinyl so they can scratch more
> effectively than one can work with a CD. The latest release I've heard
> of is Per Gessle's (male half of Roxette) newest project "Son of a
> Plumber" which supposedly is a homage of the music he grew up to in
> the late 60'ties, 70'ties and a bit into the 80'ties. This record is available
> on a double CD or double LP. The vinyl release even includes one extra
> bonus song that they decided not to put on the CD.

Sounds odd.

CP/M User.

And what about movie soundtracks? My Blues Brothers 2000 CD has a couple of songs that weren't in the movie, and they left out at least one important song from the movie (James Brown, no less). I wonder if things are left out because the artist and the record company couldn't come to an agreement on price?

--T

Speaking of censorship...

When Frank Zappa recorded the album We're Only In It For The Money, in 1967, Warner Bros. (the record company) cut out some lines from one of the songs. FZ was pissed, of course, but couldn't get them to put the questionable material back. What he did tho, was submit another track to be included on the album. It was the censored stuff, recorded backwards! Years later, when Zappa contracted with Ryko to re-release some of his work on CD, he made sure that they used his own original masters, which included the dirty language both frontwards & backwards.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Speaking of censorship...

> When Frank Zappa recorded the album "We're Only In It For The
> Money", in 1967, Warner Bros. (the record company) cut out some
> lines from one of the songs. FZ was p!$$£d, of course, but couldn't get
> them to put the questionable material back. What he did tho, was
> submit another track to be included on the album. It was the censored
> stuff, recorded backwards! Years later, when Zappa contracted with
> Ryko to re-release some of his work on CD, he made sure that they
> used his own original masters, which included the dirty language both
> frontwards & backwards.

I vagerly seeing a Frank Zappa album in the 1001 must-have albums
book - think it was in the year 1967. Where do these guys come from
with their language? I can't believe The Turtles had some sort of Association with this guy! I don't know, something tells me I wouldn't like his stuff.

And do you know anything of The Doors contriversial - The End. Lyrics suggest the erratic Morrison put the F word in this song, but listening to it suggests it's been removed in sight of the context of the poetry. When I look back at all the Doors stuff I collected I see a band which has amazing musical diversity, ranging from very good relaxing songs to powerfully violent songs. I would love to see an album featuring the soft side of the Doors - there seems to be plenty of stuff featured amonst the violence.

CP/M User.

Not only did Morrison use the word, he offered to do it to his mother, (as well as kill his father), which I think pissed off the censors even more than just the simple use of the word.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Not only did Morrison use the word, he offered to do it to his mother,
> (as well as kill his father), which I think p!$$£d off the censors even
> more than just the simple use of the word.

Oh yeah, gosh - that simply answers why yonger generations like that song. It's well & truely ahead of it's time. I was ambitious getting their stuff - though there's some great stuff in between the dribble!

CP/M User.

CP/M User said:
"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Not only did Morrison use the word, he offered to do it to his mother,
> (as well as kill his father), which I think p!$$£d off the censors even
> more than just the simple use of the word.

Oh yeah, gosh - that simply answers why yonger generations like that song. It's well & truely ahead of it's time. I was ambitious getting their stuff - though there's some great stuff in between the dribble!

CP/M User.

I don't know about being ahead of his time, Oedipus has been around for a couple thousand years.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> I don't know about being ahead of his time, "Oedipus" has been around
> for a couple thousand years.

What's Oedipus? Is that some kind of an illness?

Yes I saw The Doors film with Val Kilmer (assuming that's the one you mean) - I do remember the scene in it where he performed "The End", yeah didn't they drag him off stage. I'm assuming that really happened.

I know at a concert he exposed himself & got arrested for it. How often do you hear about that - usually it's the Audience which create trouble. Guess that's the Hippi side to Morrison (isn't that what Hippi's do?!?)

CP/M User.

Oedipus is an ancient Greek drama, about someone who - unknowingly, if I recall correctly - killed his father and fell in love with his mother.

CP/M User said:
What's Oedipus? Is that some kind of an illness?

Yes...and no...well, sorta...

As Carlsson said, Oedipus The King is an ancient play, but Oedipus is also used an archetype of (abnormal) human behavior, by Freud, et.al. An Oedipus Complex, in it's most extreme form, manifests itself exactly as in the play, by the killing of the father, and having an affair with the mother, but most of the time, it's in a much milder form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oedipus_complex

Women are not exempt either. The female equivalent is the Electra Complex:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electra_complex

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Yes...and no...well, sorta...

> As Carlsson said, Oedipus The King is an ancient play, but Oedipus is
> also used an archtype of (abnormal) human behavior, by Freud, et.al.
> An Oedipus Complex, in it's most extreme form, manifests itself exactly
> as in the play, by the killing of the father, and having an affair with the
> mother, but most of the time, it's in a much milder form.

> Women are not exempt either. The female equivalent is the Electra

Oh okay, that's interesting - thanks lads.

CP/M User.

In it's simplest (most common) form, Oedipus manifests itself as simple resentment (jealousy) of the father, and/or an abnormal attachment to the mother (with or without a sexual undertone (of course, according to Freud, everything has a sexual undertone, except mebbe, cigars! (ask Bill Clinton))).

--T

Back to the vinyl topic, I tried a couple of sound cleaning softwares a while ago. Each software has different algorithms and settings. One software may eliminate a lot of clicks and pops, but at the same time removing 1/3rd of the frequency span. In the end, I found one software slightly more usable than the others, but not good enough that I would buy a license (all these softwares tend to be time limited demos).

Today, I decided to have another go, and found one of the ones I used before. Maybe not the one I liked the best, but I couldn't quite remember. The software however detected that I had tried it before and refused to operate. I see the point in a time limited demo, but if it has been unstalled and not used for more than a half year, during which new versions have been released, it should let me re-evaluate it and not immedialtely ask for money.

To make a long story short, with fear for my computer's life, I dug into the dungeon of serial numbers and cracks. I catched a bunch of viruses (which my antivirus program was nice to catch) and another bunch of spyware (which my antispyware program later removed), but in the end I found a working key generator or whatever. I think I managed to recover my computer from most of it, but it was amazing to see all the amount of p0rn pop-ups, JavaScripts executing on the fly, new bookmarks, a bunch of files added to the hard disk etc by just clicking on one link from a web page.

Now I have tried this sound cleaning software, and while one can change some numbers and check some extra settings, it appears basically to have two modes of operation apart from removing pops: cutting all high frequencies or boosting all high frequencies. I suppose as long as the music relies a lot on heavy drums and electric guitar, a boost in high frequencies may be an improvement, but I'll try again to find a setting where the original sound is maintained.

FWIW, today (Nov 29th, 2005) has been officially proclaimed The Doors Day in Philadelphia, PA, in recognition of the 1970 "Live in Philadelphia" album:

http://www.thedoors.com/

We should do sum'n to celebrate this momentous occaision. Mebbe we could all fly-in to Philly and expose ourselves en masse on HizHonor daMayor's front lawn.

--T

Back