Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

LED Christmas lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Christmas lights

Because of a peculiar visual defect, I can detect LED Christmas lights flickering immediately and from a considerable distance. Lately, I've even noticed that the LED tail lamps on some vehicles have a flicker to them.

In both cases, the flicker rate is about 60Hz and to my eye is extremely irritating.

Last January, I picked up a few cheap strings of LED Christmas lights and just got them out today. Sure enough, the manufacturers use the individual LEDs in series as a half-wave configuration, so that the flicker rate is indeed 60Hz.

I've made an adapter where the AC line is run through a bridge rectifier and thus provides a full-wave 120Hz-ripple supply. The LEDs are considerably brighter (of course), and the discernible flicker is gone. I'm using a 10A bridge, so even if a conventional string of incandescent lights is plugged in, it won't overtax the circuit.

But this got me thinking about the wider ramifications of the current scheme. You'd think that the power companies would have an issue with a half-wave setup, loading the line only on alternate half-cycles. Yet I've heard not a peep from any industry spokesperson.

Anyone know why?
    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

I'd guess that the total number of LEDs in use right now is such a tiny power draw that it would hardly be noticed. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the new LED lamps for standard sockets do things differently to avoid flicker. I have one that is dimmable, which clearly requires some more circuitry (maybe PWM?).

Comment

I refuse to buy the led xmas lights. But I have friends who went out and replaced every string with led's... *sigh*

I thought I was crazy about the flicker. thanks for that. And I must admit thats a pretty crafty way to get rid of the flicker with that bridge...
      It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by luckybob View Post
        I thought I was crazy about the flicker. thanks for that.
        Me too. Everyone was telling me I was nuts, that there was no flicker in the LED lights.

Comment

Good catch Chuck, and an elegant solution.

This half wave load is indeed a question. I would think that mark66j is right, in that there is not a big load from christmas lights. However, could it also be that the polarity cancels out with a large number of users?

PS: This is getting out of my depth here, but the roughly 50% power factor of CFLs seems like a related issue, and we're not seeing complaints about that either. I think it's time for another conspiracy theory.
          WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Comment

I hate LED Christmas light because of the flickering and because the blue and green bulbs are way too bright compared to the other colors. Battery-operated LED lights eliminate the flickering, but still have the odd color balance. However, as my friend Chris discovered, simply adding a resistor in series with the lights to drop the voltage slightly, dims down the blue and green LEDs but doesn't affect the output of the other colors, providing a much more pleasing color balance:

LED Christmas lights - tweaking
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_jMHRLnOco

Comment

I have a string of LED lights going around my room.
              The lights are similar to that of the older incandescent type. There's a white LED in a colored glass tube so I haven't seen the green/blue overbrightness yet but the flicker is quite noticeable.

Comment

I would like to upload a copy of the schematic, but again, it is copyrighted. Does anyone know if it's ok to upload a scan of it?

Comment

I never liked LED Christmas lights. Their colors seem so drab and cold compared to the bright, cheerful character of the traditional incandescent miniature lamps.
                  Latest Acquisitions: ADDS Envoy, Sun 3/50, Teletype BLIT, DECMate II
                  Still Wanted: Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, SSB Chieftain, Altos 2086, TRS-80 Model 16, Victory FACTOR
                  Always looking for: AT&T 3B2's and UnixPC/3B1's.
                  http://www.securix.net/retrotekvintagecomputers

Comment

They put those LED fairy lights around the headlights on cars in Europe now. Especially german cars and SUVs just to give them even more of an agressive look when they're right in your rear view mirror.

Comment

From monitoring the quality of our power up here with a storage scope, I get the impression the power company has it's hand full just keeping the grid up, let alone worry about the voltage or quality.
                      Besides, wouldn't some of that uneven loading effect smooth out after miles of inductance, conductor/conductor capacitance, and lastly all the transformers it propagates through ?
                      patscc

Comment

Chuck(G), do older-style VFD's bother you as well ?
                        patscc

Comment

Yup, but since they don't occupy my entire field of vision, I'm not bothered as much.

One perplexing thing is that I now see cars with rear brake lights powered by what seems to be low frequency AC PWM maybe?) --at least they have a discernible flicker. Why the designers do that, I don't know. I'm not up to snuff on modern automotive electronics.

It used to be that I could also pick out traffic signals that have been converted to LED, but the technology must have changed since the early days, because I no longer see the flicker.
                          Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

I think they had problems with the noise, spikes, and load fluctuation in a car's 12V system, so now they use a secondary regulator/driver to drive the LED's. Makes it easier to regulate brightness, flash, etc.
                            patscc

Comment

Aren't most lights and things at 60Hz? I thought that was why computer monitors flicker on video and fluorescent office lights have that affect. Off topic, some folks in the robotics group go after the holidays are over and pick up strands of led or regular lights for whatever% off since it's usually cheaper than buying the little leds separately.
                              Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Comment

Working...
                              X