• No, I don't Like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whats Open Office?

• I would never Betray Microsoft!!

• Total voters

Vlad

With Open Office 2.0 out now, and the fact that it is comaptible with MS Office, how many of you use it? I love how it is fully compatible with MS office and is 100% free. It as every thing MS's office has and it looks nicer. Their about the same size. Open Office might be a little smaller. Im not sure of the exact sizes, but I do know their close enough to each other that size is not a determining factor.

What are your opinions about it?

-Vlad

http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: How Many of you use Open Office?

"vlad" wrote:

> With Open Office 2.0 out now, and the fact that it is comaptible with MS
> Office, how many of you use it? I love how it is fully compatible with MS
> office and is 100% free. It as every thing MS's office has and it looks
> nicer. Their about the same size. Open Office might be a little smaller.
> Im not sure of the exact sizes, but I do know their close enough to
> each other that size is not a determining factor.

From what I can tell OpenOffice 2.0 is a 75Mb for Windows & 102Mb Linux (which is quite a difference). This sounds like a nice program & I guess the best alternative - since it supports Office. But what I can't understand is why someone is simply distrubiting a program for -FREE-!

I'd like to try it, but 75Mb would simply take too long - even for at 52.0 Kbps dial-up. I've made my mind up though that Broadband simply has risks to it & I don't need that.

I might try & download it from school - but it'll have to be at a very quiet hour at school.

CP/M User.

Yeah count me in. Great program - and for nothing! How do they do that.

Okay it's not quite up to Scratch with Office Word - but to get my assignments done & then take them to school - this is better than nothing. My final projects seem to come up very nicely - okay I think there's some minor differences between Word & Open Office WP (merely in the display modes) - but hey it's FREE! ;-)

Thanks for putting me onto that - I'm after the very program just so I can finish my projects here for weekends & take it to school & use Word simple work further on them.

Oh yeah, the 75Mb file only took 5 minutes to download from School - I couldn't relieve it! ;-) It was just the right time to get it though in the morning when everything is quite. Even better cause I could download the program from here in Australia (which makes a difference in Download times).

Cheers.

What?!? It even produces PDF files from my edited DOCuments. Where are these guys get away chargin' Zippo for a program like this?!?

Like I don't think that even Microsoft Word in Office does this - and here we are it simply produces simple PDFs for the world to see (within the correct version of Acrobat of course!! ;-)

Mad that.

Who doesn't like this program? Common own up! ;-)
Must be someone affiliated with Micro$oft! ;-)

CP/M User.

It is an awesome program isint it? I found it along time ago by accident. It came with a Linux Distobution I tried and I loved Open Office. In Office 2.0 they added database. So Open Office 2.0 Is a great program for those of us who either can't afford MS office, or don't want it anymore. MS Office AND MS Works came preinstalled on my laptop when I bought it (Why both? it took up a LOT of HD space) I uninstalled them both for Open Office. I am thinking about joining the Open Office team to help devlope it. The Make a PDF option is neat! You can make a PDF out of any Open Office Word document!!

-Vlad

Open Office/ Neo Office

Open Office/ Neo Office

Down loaded the MAC OSX version called NEO OFFICE and I'll give it a try.
Now if you could find Microsoft ACCESS at the same price I'd really be happy.

Thanks!!!!

"vlad" wrote:

> It is an awesome program isint it? I found it along time ago by
> accident. It came with a Linux Distobution I tried and I loved Open
> Office. In Office 2.0 they added database. So Open Office 2.0 Is a great
> program for those of us who either can't afford MS office, or don't want
> it anymore. MS Office AND MS Works came preinstalled on my laptop
> when I bought it (Why both? it took up a LOT of HD space) I uninstalled
> them both for Open Office. I am thinking about joining the Open Office
> team to help devlope it. The Make a PDF option is neat! You can make
> a PDF out of any Open Office Word document!!

Yeah, my old computer came with Works pre-installed - came with many
programs pre-installed & I simply just added MS Office for something a
little bit more useful.

But the trouble I had with this new machine was all this software I'm got from the old computer was fairly antiquated & just couldn't cope. I only had a simple word processor to try on this machine, but it was clearly a Windows 3.1 program - which had trouble displaying pictures (beyond 256 colours) & saving a file with that kinda stuff in it (it basically stuffed up) - I like to make my documents look nice.

I mean MS Office is nice & everyone seems to use this which seems to be a big deal - I was going to get the Academic version of it though which was still a couple of Hundred of bucks - I wasn't sure how restricted it might of been though - but with this program which supports their Office files - it'll probably make people take Office more for granted.

I guess the only thing missing is MS Publisher equivalent - which I was mean't to do a project in - but instead I used Word, Publisher is good, but I think Word is just as capable of producing nice posters.

CP/M User.

Open Office

Open Office

Been trying the spreadsheet in Neo Office , seems to work fine....
Microsoft started losing my interest when they started seperating the programs that were once, all part of the Office Suite. What really bugged me was when they removed Access and now you have to purchase it seperately
and I Haven't seen it yet for OSX and then there's the need for Virtual PC or soft windows to run it.

There ought to be a MySQL solution with some graphical frontend. I have only used MS Access a little, and depending why you need it, there should be some replacement. Maybe if you like to draw lines for interconnecting tables and dependencies, there is no *SQL solution.

By the way, Sun's StarOffice has a database component. Since it is based upon OpenOffice, I had a look at the OO webpage too. They mention an enhanced database frontend in Oo_Org 2.0. Perhaps it didn't exist in 1.1.4 which NeoOffice is based on, but there seems to be a native port of OO for MacOS X as well?

http://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html

Back