• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Who has OCD?

luckybob

Veteran Member
last month, during my eBay browsing I found 2 auctions for "scrap" processors from the 486 to p3 range. no pictures, and in the complete wrong category. I won both auctions for a total of $150 among friends. The FINALLY arrived today. Apparently USPS felt the need to re-box the item en-route.

Imagine if you will, because my camera's batteries are dead, *rim-shot* about 160 processors slapped into a box and rough handled from some town in Canada to Denver. EVERY single processor has most of their pins bent. Not just 1 or 2 pins, but 80-90% of the pins.

Oh yea, i got my tiny pliers and tweezers out and I'm going ape on this pile of processors. And for what you might be asking? Well there are about 5 chips that I want to keep, provided they work. To which I present to you, my little pride and joy:

What you see here is not an optical illusion. The case actually opens up for easy CPU access. Seriously. When I got this thing from a random thrift store I was so happy! I forget what it had originally, but I put in my favorite super 7 motherboard, the Asus P5A. But I didn't stop there! I got some switches from eBay and a bunch of "solenoid extension cables" from eBay as well. These served me well as they had standard .1" spacing on the connectors which fit perfectly on motherboard jumper locations. The other ends I soldered to switches. I placed the switches on the front for easy access. So the top controls the voltage, the middle the multiplier and the bottom row the fsb. I took one of my k6 166's and had that little baby screaming near 350mhz. Which was too much as I ended up letting the magic smoke out of the chip but its okay. I have LOTS more to play with now.

Now I don't have a nice setup for the slot 1's or the s370's. I hope in the next few days to score an asus p3b-f.

For those people that have CPU collections, I have already taken the time to give a rough cleaning to the chips for sake of cataloging. if something strikes your fancy, let me know. I know of 2 overdrive chips, and I think I have a fabled revision A Celeron.

have a look here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...llEWjZnMGN5dUFtcTVfUlE&hl=en&authkey=CMjL5OwJ

the ones marked in red I want to keep for myself, at least until I fully benchmark them. provided they work. ;)

I have an ultimate goal in mind. I don't want to spoil it now, but if you ever wondered if an Amd 233 was faster than the Intel 233... I hope to find out.

A trick I used to use for straightening bent CPU pins - get a draftsman's mechanical pencil that uses 0.5 lead. You want a drafting pencil because it has a metal tip. Remove the lead from the pencil, and use the metal tip to straighten CPU pins - just put it on the bent pin and push it straight.

I've salvaged several CPU's this way.

-Ian

Recyclers tend to throw (and I mean throw) CPU's into large plastic bins, so those CPU's might have had the pins bent before they were shipped.

So you paid about $1 a chip then shipped ?

about yes. And that was CHEAP. Gold recyclers LOVE the old ceramic chips and I'd say I have about 10 pounds of chips. Last time I sold old chips I got almost $500 for 10 pounds. So yea. either way, its all good.

SL32B 333MHz SEPP Celeron is a 333A.
Only 266 & 300 was made in non A versions

FYI.. Gold scrappers are going stupid at the moment and have pushed prices of Pentium Pros to $30each (including shipping to US address)

Oh yea, i got my tiny pliers and tweezers out and I'm going ape on this pile of processors. And for what you might be asking? Well there are about 5 chips that I want to keep, provided they work.

Mechanical pencils are (by far) the best tool for straightening the processor pins on older processors.

last month, during my eBay browsing I found 2 auctions for "scrap" processors from the 486 to p3 range. no pictures, and in the complete wrong category. I won both auctions for a total of $150 among friends. The FINALLY arrived today. Apparently USPS felt the need to re-box the item en-route.

Imagine if you will, because my camera's batteries are dead, *rim-shot* about 160 processors slapped into a box and rough handled from some town in Canada to Denver. EVERY single processor has most of their pins bent. Not just 1 or 2 pins, but 80-90% of the pins.

Oh yea, i got my tiny pliers and tweezers out and I'm going ape on this pile of processors. And for what you might be asking? Well there are about 5 chips that I want to keep, provided they work. To which I present to you, my little pride and joy:

What you see here is not an optical illusion. The case actually opens up for easy CPU access. Seriously. When I got this thing from a random thrift store I was so happy! I forget what it had originally, but I put in my favorite super 7 motherboard, the Asus P5A. But I didn't stop there! I got some switches from eBay and a bunch of "solenoid extension cables" from eBay as well. These served me well as they had standard .1" spacing on the connectors which fit perfectly on motherboard jumper locations. The other ends I soldered to switches. I placed the switches on the front for easy access. So the top controls the voltage, the middle the multiplier and the bottom row the fsb. I took one of my k6 166's and had that little baby screaming near 350mhz. Which was too much as I ended up letting the magic smoke out of the chip but its okay. I have LOTS more to play with now.

Now I don't have a nice setup for the slot 1's or the s370's. I hope in the next few days to score an asus p3b-f.

For those people that have CPU collections, I have already taken the time to give a rough cleaning to the chips for sake of cataloging. if something strikes your fancy, let me know. I know of 2 overdrive chips, and I think I have a fabled revision A Celeron.

have a look here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...llEWjZnMGN5dUFtcTVfUlE&hl=en&authkey=CMjL5OwJ

the ones marked in red I want to keep for myself, at least until I fully benchmark them. provided they work. ;)

I have an ultimate goal in mind. I don't want to spoil it now, but if you ever wondered if an Amd 233 was faster than the Intel 233... I hope to find out.

hey, i see an Asus P5A-B there..... i have one of those, GREAT socket 7 board!! love it. sucks about the bent pins. gotta love the postal service, no? or maybe they were bent from the beginning. ouch.

out of 12 attempts I have successfully got working 11 chips. This is taking a LOT longer than I thought it would.

Strange thing. in the P5A-B you see I have a k6-2/450 that I am testing. Its weird, but I'm getting benchmarks that are about 30% LOW. Also, cpu-id crashes when it tries to detect the chip as does most super-pi benchmarks. For example, if you look at the benchmarks on this page: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=26175) One would expect a score in the neighborhood of 400-500. but I barely crack 300. I hope its not the board, that would really suck.

And its not like a k6-2/450 is rare or worth a lot. I'm just going to toss it in the bin and move on. On a side note, if there are any processors that anyone wants, let me know. I know I have 2 overdrives and prob ably a few f/div bug processors in the list. just let me know and i'll either test them for you or send them to you as-is. just send me a pm!

Back