• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Server Failure

Vlad

Sorry all, my Primary Server which ran my website and the chat room had an Fatal Failure. The Hard drive has finally gone to the big bit-bucket in the sky. (poor little guy *sniff*) Anyway the chat room originally being up for all of 4 hours will be down until I can locate a new Hard drive for it. I may be able to bring the system up on a very old spare, but its only 1 Gb. is Hardly enough for a Server. Also I'll need some fans to help thermal issues (Mainly just case cooling, the processor is fine.) If any one has anything to donate to help bring the Main Server back on-line, the chat room will be back for good! Remember, I can usually be easily contacted, so if anythings wrong or it having a problem Tell me! I also might add a VCF download and files section and possibly RAID for added storage. I will also host something if I think its within reason. I can also mirror something for you, within reason. (All that means is it will be at my discretion on what get hosted and mirrored....) Also I am open to Ideas if someone would like to see something on this site. Which obviously won't happen until its running again...

-Vlad

P.S.
The hard drive was a Western Digital 40.0 Gb. and It runs on RAMBUS RDRAM. But anything to help run it would be helpful, I'm not picky..... (It uses standard IDE/ATA.)

Vlad,

Dunno if you can use 'em or not, but I have a matching pair of IBM 1Gb SCSI drives, brand new, (one package has factory seal broken for "inspection"). They could be suitable for a redundant system or RAID (II?), or something. If you can use 'em, I'll donate to the cause, if you can cover the shipping costs (about $8.00).

--T

Thank you so much for the offer, but unfortunately the Server uses ATA/IDE. It currently doesnot have the ability for SCSI.

Thanks for the offer though, I though about adding a SCSI card, but in Intel's infinite wisdom, it only has 3 PCI slots (?) I have no idea why but it does. and they are filled with the Server adapter, Videocard (no onboard graphics. again ?), and ATA card for more drives.

It does need an ATX Power Supply of at least 450 Watts or higher because the one it it is generic (seriously, it doesint even have a serial number nothing.) and has very little power connectors.

Thanks you very much for the offer.

-Vlad

It does need an ATX Power Supply of at least 450 Watts or higher because the one it it is generic (seriously, it doesint even have a serial number nothing.) and has very little power connectors.

Sorry, can't help ya there, I have a distinct shortage of ATX PS's myself (are they all crappy, or is it just mine that keep dying at an alarming rate?).

--T

The ATX bit was to just to get it out there and known, not a request. When I do get another PS for it, you can have the one thats in it. Its 450 or 400. But it seems to be fine, other than it doesint have too many drive connectors.

-Vlad

I know a guy who used to deal with power supplies specifically, and he has a number of times preached that the effect in watt stamped on the box not should be thought as a guarantee or sign of quality. Many noname PSUs which at first look to be sturdy can be total sh*te, cause overload, meltdown or anything.

I used to help build power supplies (counter top lab types) Trust me, I know all about the pitfalls of Power units. But as I said this one has NOTHING but a sticker saying what the wattage and voltage levels are. I have had it for almost a year, if it was going to do something, it would have done it by now.

-Vlad

Back