Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Duke Nukem Forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duke Nukem Forever

So this game has been in production for so long, it's practically vintage.

Release date for Europe, Australia, Japan is June 10 and US June 14, 2011.

Who's gonna be first?
    Last edited by Securix; June 6, 2011, 05:09 PM.
    Latest Acquisitions: ADDS Envoy, Sun 3/50, Teletype BLIT, DECMate II
    Still Wanted: Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, SSB Chieftain, Altos 2086, TRS-80 Model 16, Victory FACTOR
    Always looking for: AT&T 3B2's and UnixPC/3B1's.
    http://www.securix.net/retrotekvintagecomputers

I think it's safe at this point to say, I want to see it first. I could be wrong but I swear I remember some preordering ability around 10 years ago. I am some what wanting to own a damn copy just because of the history lol (I mean who wouldn't want the number one vaporware award winner). I'm a little unsure though, I'm not 100% happy buying an already completed game and just giving the money to someone who bought right rights for a few months. Doesn't quite seem fair. I may just wait until it's a budget buy at the used book store and stick it on my shelf that way.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Comment

bad thing is, this game was "cool" when we were like 12. I wonder if this is going to be tailored for 12 y/o's or the beer-swilling frat-boy crowd? Or both? I'm probably not going to buy it unless Jesus comes back and gives it a thumbs up.
      It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

Duke Nukem Forever' Demo and Trailer Launched Today

June 3, 2011 02:00pm EST
        Updated: Sorry folks, the previous video trailer was removed from YouTube for NSFW-ness (nudity and sexual content). Check out the replacement video below, courtesy of Wired. "Duke Nukem Forever," a game that has taken nearly 15 years to produce, has released a titillating trailer that taps into the most obscene, mammary-loving, chauvinistic instincts that reside (to varying degrees) in all Duke fans.
        While retaining the three-breasted alien from previous Duke Nukem games, the trailer adds two lesbian schoolgirls, a jiggly chambermaid, and strippers galore. Needless to say, unless you're a tech journalist or work in an environment of Duke-like men, the trailer (which you can view below), is Not Safe For Work (NSFW).
        "Duke Nukem Forever" Trailer: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386356,00.asp

Comment

Looks like only a few more days to wait...

Gearbox Software rolled out its latest and probably the final trailer before the game launches on June 10th.
          Duke was my favorite all the way back to version 1.0 which I still have along with commander keen.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/22...-a-new-trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...e-nukem/714506

Comment

The commercialization has already begun...

Winning bid:US $360.76

Please wait
            Image not available

Duke Nukem Forever Steel Balls Collector's Item

Get your pair of...
            Duke Nukem Forever Steel Balls

These LIMITED EDITION steel balls are a bonafide collector's item!

The item INCLUDES:
            * Two steel balls with nuclear graphic embossed in the steel on BOTH balls
            *A stand engraved with "Duke Nukem Forever Las Vegas 2.7.11" and the 2K Games graphic and the Gearbox Software graphic (Made in China)

Bid on these balls NOW - What a STEEL!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Steel-Balls-Collectors-Item-/120728533952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1bfb 3bc0

Comment

Not really sure what the difference between the trailers is but that new one is mostly like the old one. For those wondering, it's pretty much rated R. Even if I do buy the game I imagine I'll end up needing to talk with the wife if she walks in on some of those scenes. It's a lot like a portion I saw of GTA4.

??? The Balls of Steel edition is just the collector edition, it was $80. Did those already come out and sell out for a price like that?

Comment

I am guessing they blew most of the development budget on girlie texture "research."

Comment

I will skip it. No point so late in the game and nobody to play over the LAN anyway.

Comment

I will probably download it just to play 10 minutes worth and forget about it.

If you are a fan of the original Duke Nukem 3D there is a patch out there with hirez textures that makes the game much nicer to play these days.
                    http://hrp.duke4.net/
                    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

*IF* I get it, it will be from a budget shelf somewhere.

I think I'm the only person around that was truly disappointed when they took my Duke Nukem and made him 3D. I didn't care for that game, nor did I care for Doom. Quake was pretty good though.

To this day, I feel that the "beer-swilling, chauvinistic Duke" was a bad direction to take the character... though I fully realize that the platform games I always loved are the way of the dinosaur, and that well, sex sells.
                      ---
                      Currently seeking:
                      * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
                      * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
                      I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick1978 View Post
                        I think I'm the only person around that was truly disappointed when they took my Duke Nukem and made him 3D. I didn't care for that game, nor did I care for Doom. Quake was pretty good though.
                        I enjoyed 3D since we played it over the LAN with up to 6 guys in the 1990s. That was a lot of fun. It ran fine on AMD upgraded 486s. The map editor was also a lot of fun.

Comment

Yeah I think the map editor is what made it pretty popular. It was still a newish idea at the time but I know lots of folks who were pretty good at the game and later made maps of their office for office lan parties, etc. Plus it was relatively low resource (at least from what I remember). Part of the era before gaming required GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by barythrin View Post
                            Yeah I think the map editor is what made it pretty popular. It was still a newish idea at the time but I know lots of folks who were pretty good at the game and later made maps of their office for office lan parties, etc. Plus it was relatively low resource (at least from what I remember). Part of the era before gaming required GPUs.
                            Correct. I remember folks trying various VESA drivers, different PCI SVGA cards and BIOS settings to push out more FPS. My Pentium 90 had a S3 ViRGE clone card that worked very well with it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterNY View Post
                              I enjoyed 3D since we played it over the LAN with up to 6 guys in the 1990s. That was a lot of fun. It ran fine on AMD upgraded 486s. The map editor was also a lot of fun.
                              That could be part of my problem with it. I've done LAN gaming maybe twice in my life - and had to drive nearly 2 hours for the privilege as I live in a rural area..

It could also be that I was against Duke3D from the start because of my hatred of Doom. I wanted to like Doom, and I absolutely LOVE the games made from the Wolf3D engine. My problem with Doom was that it was soooo dark. I couldn't see who was attacking me half of the time, and my games were often nothing more than random firing in the dark. Partly this is because my eyes have trouble seeing colors that are very close in the spectrum when they are side-by-side (it takes them several seconds to distinguish that there is indeed two+ colors on-screen)... and this often kills my enjoyment of FPS games even on today's games. With the pixellated graphics of Doom, it made it almost unplayable for me, and my thinking going into Duke3D was that this would simply be more of the same.
                              ---
                              Currently seeking:
                              * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
                              * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
                              I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Comment

Working...
                              X