• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just wondering about some some suspicious IM hits...

Stone

10k Member
I thought I'd run this by you guys as it just started happening yesterday. So far I've received two different but similarly worded IMs via Yahoo Messenger referencing a post I made offering an item for sale here. They're from two different accounts but they both are referring to the same post and both raised suspicions. I have not responded to either, for obvious reasons. Surely, if someone wants to contact me they can do so via this site, especially for the initial contact. I know that the IMs are easy and quick but after getting hundreds of PMs here I've never had anyone use one of my IMs to get me initially or even for a follow-up, for that matter. While I would surely respond to a follow-up from someone I know is a member here I am reluctant to do so for a 'cold' attempted contact from someone who will not post on a forum where IPs are logged.

What are your thoughts?

Dave...

The #1 rule of the internet is, if there is even the slightest chance its a scam, its a scam. Also, isnt instant messaging kinda dead? What with cell phones, anyone I "know" will just use that or call. And anyone I talk to over the internet just uses email.

I get spam IMs all the time but never related to something I posted, BUT I've never linked a messenger account to a forum. So it's likely pretty easy to search for posts by that user and then troll the link of "send instant message" and quote something followed by spam. But yeah, pretty safe assumption and by posting here if they are legit they'll probably at least see it and follow up :)

I don't see any problem with this. You added your IM contact information to your profile, and someone wanted to contact you. It seems obvious that if you have something for sale, then that would be a likely reason someone would contact you.

Not like talking to someone over IM can hurt you or anything. Just respond and see what they want. They might just want to get more information, and IM is a fast and easy way to do that. If you don't want people IMing you, then don't put your IM contact information in your profile.

-Ian

Back