• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SECC/SECC2 backshell issues

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Since Slot 1 systems aren't on-topic, I've posted it here.

My problem is with SECC, and in particular, SECC2 CPU (PII and III) backshells. Many of these serve as the rear part of the heatsink mounting using, most often, a press-fit plastic clip assembly. I've noticed a couple of these CPUs seem to have less-than-good contact with the heatsink. Upon further investigation, it seems that the mounting holes that receive the clips have fractured and fallen apart.

I've temporarily remedied this using a couple of #2-56 screws and nuts with springs maintaining the tension in place of the plastic clips. It looks like it might work okay, but I'm not certain.

Are replacement SECC2 backshells and mounting hardware available? Does anyone have any better ideas on the whole heatsink mounting problem?

Didn't some slot 1 celerons ship with no plastic case, if so how were they mounted to a heatsink?

Didn't some slot 1 celerons ship with no plastic case, if so how were they mounted to a heatsink?

Do you mean the SEPP Celerons? They had a heat spreader plate bonded to the top of the chip and then used clip-on heatsinks. Kind of kludgy, but maybe they didn't get that hot.

I've used the screw/spring assembly MANY times, I prefer it to the "standard" clips.

Is the backshell really necessary? Would a couple of short nylon spacers on each screw work just as well?

I know that you'd lose the hologram, but who's gonna see it?

needed? no. as long as the cpu doesn't flop around in the slot. I leave the back plate on so I remember what cpu is what. And as long as you use 4 screws/washers/springs and its a nice even tension its actually a better connection. I do the same thing with socket A boards that have holes in the motherboard.

I think that many of the SECC (Pentium II) heatsinks had a better attachment mechanism; i.e., brass studs attached to the heatsink that were secured by a spring clip on the back. The SECC2 plastic clips just feel cheap.

Back