• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cookie Monster used to be a great cookie manager...

Stone

10k Member
I've been using Cookie Monster from Ampsoft for a while and it has shown itself to be just what the doctor ordered, until lately and thanks to MicroSloth and Ampsoft. It allows for selective deletion/retention of cookies in all major browsers. Lately, however, MS has sent out a couple of Cumulative Security Updates that have effectively rendered Cookie Monster useless for IE cookies. They did this by changing the cookie file name format for IE cookies. Ampsoft has not provided any update for this issue and has not even replied to any email requests at all. I have not been able to find any suitable replacement for Cookie Monster and so my only solution has been to uninstall the offending patches that cause the problem. The first was on Aug.11 and is referenced in MS11-057 or KB2599049 and the most recent was today, referenced in MS11-081 or KB2586488.

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for Cookie Monster. I haven't found one so far and I'm getting tired of having to rollback patches to keep this program working. I'm quite sure MS isn't done forcing this file name format update on us.

I used to go with that -- but I need it to maintain compatibility with some sites and whatnot. So, that's no longer an option, unfortunately.

any REPUTABLE site will work perfectly with Chrome/Firefox. I havent used IE since about 2000.

I run into very, very, very few sites that absolutely require IE anymore. If they require IE I just don't use them.

Firefox has a great option to not accept 3rd party cookies, also pretty flexible history deletion options. You can also use things like noscript and RequestPolicy.

You can also use IE Tab + so you can open an IE only page in Firefox if needed.

Last edited:
Mikeerm, luckybob, you've missed the point, entirely.

I'm talking about web developement.

Take a look at the browser stats I've included below from one of the sites I'm responsible for maintaining and I'm positive you'll see why *I* need to verify/monitor sites with IE!

Stats.jpg

I think even you'll understand that when over 50% of your sites' visitors are using IE to view your websites that it would be utterly incompetent to not validate those sites with IE.

Now, hopefully we can drop this portion of the thread and hopefully get back to the matter at hand ..... which happens to be an intelligent discussion on handling the new cookie file format in IE.

you never mentioned web dev. until NOW. I believe that everyone that read your post was under the assumption that you use IE and cookie monster at home and are looking for an update for your personal machine. I also did not want to insinuate that NOBODY uses IE anymore, just that they SHOULDN'T. And if you are using IE just for compatibility, why do you care about cookies, unless its your main browser? I use a virtural machine running XP for browsing websites that may infect my computer (and the occasional non 64bit compatible program)

I also did not want to insinuate that NOBODY uses IE anymore, just that they SHOULDN'T.
Are you saying that people aren't free to choose and use whatever they so desire?

Does everyone need to do everything your way or be told that they are wrong?

Sorry, but that doesn't sound like an adult point of view.

Guys, settle down ... this isn't worth getting into a tussle over.

Like it or not there is a lot of IE out there, and a lot of unenlightened web sites that still require it.

Mike

So be it.

There's still another tidbit to be gleaned here.

If you look at the stats chart above you'll notice that IE 6 tops the list. This is what most European and Russian based forum spammers and hackers use. I'm not quite sure it's their browser of choice but it's what they mostly use. It's the bad guys' signature.

For what it is worth, I am also a web developer and I spend 95% of my time in MSIE. I usually check validity in Firefox, Chrome etc at the end of production. The reason for my browser choice is that our customers and users still to most part are MSIE users, no matter if other people consider our customers sinful or not.

Stone, I haven't noticed the new cookie format but then again I don't manage my cookies in a particular way.

Anders, the old format was, i.e., anders@vintage-computer[2].txt.

The new format is an (8 character filename).txt that looks like this..... PTFQ99KJ.txt, all caps with numerals.

My first post in this thread references the Security Bulletins/Updates that install this change of formats, among other changes. It took me a little over a month after its initial implementation to actually understand why Cookie Monster was no longer listing the IE cookies.

I manage my cookies because I refuse to just delete them en masse, like the so-called experts would have you do. There's too much valuable, stored information in some of them that I don't feel like entering manually each time I visit certain sites. And, if you don't delete the other, useless cookies, over time they slow the browser down.

Last edited:
Back