• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Blank screen on demand

DimensionDude

Experienced Member
The thread title pretty much says it all, does anyone know of a utility to blank the screen on demand in Win98?

I recall having such a program for Win3.1 where you could move the mouse pointer to the upper right hand corner and it would immediately blank the screen. Can't seem to find it now, and I'm not sure that it would play nicely with Win98, anyway.

Kent

"Idlewild" kinda rings a bell. It's been so long ago that I may have confused it with something in OS/2.

I'm probably the world's worst about not labeling floppies, don't really care to go through the leaning tower o' flops looking for that program. I usually leave my computer on and just turn off the monitor when I leave it for a while. It would be much easier (and spiffier) to simply shove the pointer to the upper right corner.

Don't care much for screen savers, if I should leave a process running I like to be able to just look through the door to see what the process status is. Anyway, a lot of the so called "screen savers" aren't. Some of them have elements on the screen that stay in the same position. Even my old Atari 5200 would at least rotate the color palette if left in "pause" for very long.

Kent

If nothing else, in Win98 you can set the energy saving functions to shut off the screen after one minute of no activity. Default is 15 minutes, I think.

Yep, I had the Win98 screen blanker set up, but didn't like the idea of it blanking when I had a long, intense process going (video rendering).

I Googled Idlewild, that's not what I had before. I may end up going through the tower o' flops anyway. May even label 'em.

Indeed, turning off the monitor is the method of choice at the moment. However, I'm wondering if the numerous power cycles is more detrimental than screen blanking.

During screen blanking, only the high voltage section is shut down (also the crt filaments, being derived from HV), the low voltage power remains on. The surge of a cold start is usually the killer in any electronic device. Well, some electrical devices, too. How many times have you had a light bulb fail while it's turned on? How many times have you had a light bulb fail right when it's turned on? That flash and pop are always a bit startling, aren't they?

Kent

DimensionDude wrote:

> Indeed, turning off the monitor is the method of
> choice at the moment. However, I'm wondering if the
> numerous power cycles is more detrimental than screen
> blanking.

> During screen blanking, only the high voltage section
> is shut down (also the crt filaments, being derived
> from HV), the low voltage power remains on. The surge
> of a cold start is usually the killer in any
> electronic device. Well, some electrical devices,
> too. How many times have you had a light bulb fail
> while it's turned on? How many times have you had a
> light bulb fail right when it's turned on? That flash
> and pop are always a bit startling, aren't they?

We've found the light bulb to fail regardless of how many
times it's been switched on & off - possibly because we get
the cheap products, instead of the ones which you pay a little
bit more for.

The computer monitor I have on my old Pentium is -still-
working & must have been switched on & off Thousands of times.
The biggest issues I found with Monitors has been dust (which
gets into those old CRT screens) & the leads on the back of
where the wires inside them ware out due to large amounts of
fidging with them from moving them around.

If your having problems with your monitors due to Voltages
then perhaps you need more protection from Surges or Spikes
with voltage regulators.

CP/M User.

It's true, newer (for various definitions of "newer") equipment is more robust than the older stuff. Power cycling shouldn't affect it much, but there is still a deterioration.

"Surge" was a poor choice of terms on my part, "inrush current" is the more correct term. A standard surge suppressor won't limit the inrush current.

No monitor problems here, just looking for a more elegant solution than simply turning off the power. Heh, I'm not even putting any wear on the monitor's power switch, I turn it on and off with a power distribution panel.

Kent

i don't know if you can do it in xp, but in win 3.1 i used a trick that i read in the book (win 3.1 bible?) where you insert .scr within the system.ini file, in the list of file types that can be run, then create a desktop icon or hotkey combo for the screen blank screen saver file, and then you have a quick way to blank the screen.

i used to use it all the time, but i had mine set to starfield :)

chris

Back