• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TV Question

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
Has anyone ever experienced this with their big screen TV? As you can see in the screenshot, the left side is much darker and has some graphic anomolies than the right side. Eventually (after 30 minutes) it would clear up but not it just stays like that forever. What components should I look at troubleshooting first?

Thanks,
Dan

MVC-001F.jpgMVC-002F.jpgMVC-003F.jpgMVC-004F.jpg

AFAIK, there's really only three components in these units, power supply, tuner and display. Since it doesn't appear to be power supply or tuner, I would guess display and I have some doubt as to whether it's even servicable.

under warranty? send it in otherwise replace the caps on the power supply. I'm willing to bet money at least one is bulging.

What's the source for the video ? I could swear the distortion looks like playing back a copy of a MacroVision copy-protected VHS tape.
patscc

Update

Update

So I finally got the EFI shield off the power supply board and took two pictures, perhaps you could look at them, particularly at what I've circled in red. Is that normal? If not, where does that "white goo" come from. Seems suspect to me.

Thanks,
Daniel

MVC-001F.jpgMVC-002F.jpg

A few years ago, I had a monitor (CRT) that had a image distortion problem, like yours, with a certain time the problem was gone. The problem was with a vertical (I don't remember well) circuit IC, take a look if some IC of your TV heats in a different way from the rest.

Unless you're experienced with servicing these kinds of things, I would personally start looking around for a new TV and call this one a loss. I guess it won't hurt to see if you can figure it out, but it's probably something complicated in the circuitry if it isn't the power supply or the caps. At that point you really need to know what you're doing most likely.

Unless you're experienced with servicing these kinds of things, I would personally start looking around for a new TV and call this one a loss. I guess it won't hurt to see if you can figure it out, but it's probably something complicated in the circuitry if it isn't the power supply or the caps. At that point you really need to know what you're doing most likely.

I think you're right Mike, will just have to chalk it up. Just don't have the $ for a new tube right now, so I'll put up with the distortions.

Back