• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tyan Thunder LE S2510NG MB

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
I received my Tyan 2510 mobo this afternoon. I needed this board like I need another hole in the head, but I couldn't resist. It's a server board with the ServerWorks III LE chip, integrated 4 MB ATI rage, SCSI, IDE, floppy, etc. It's a dual PIII and can take up to 4 GB of 168-pin SDRAM. Officially it only supports up to 1 GB CPUs, but I going to try a pair of 1.4 Tualatins and see what happens (they worked okay on my Intel 815 PIII board). I'm limited to W3.1, W95/98. NT, or XP 64-bit for Tyan driver support, and I think W98SE gets the nod for this one. This was all NIB stuff, sealed in the original box with the manual, CD, cables, and a riser board for rack mount if you wish. I not going to use it (initially) as a server - I plan to make a gamer out of it. With 4 GB of RAM and 4 MB of video it ought to do real well. The best part of the whole deal is that it only cost $11.00 plus $15.00 FedEx (no choice on shipping.) I let you all know how it works out. :D

Late edit: That RAM needs to be registered/buffered.

Last edited:
There's no point in running 98SE on a dual processor system as its sole OS, as 98SE can only use a single CPU. XP would use both CPUs. For maximum compatibility with games and applications, 32 bit XP would be my recommendation as the primary OS. You can set it up to dual boot 98SE for the games that require it....

The 32-bit NT drivers will likely work in NT/2k/XP 32 bit.

There's no point in running 98SE on a dual processor system as its sole OS, as 98SE can only use a single CPU. XP would use both CPUs. For maximum compatibility with games and applications, 32 bit XP would be my recommendation as the primary OS. You can set it up to dual boot 98SE for the games that require it....

The 32-bit NT drivers will likely work in NT/2k/XP 32 bit.

Yes, it was presumptuous on my part concerning W98SE. This board supports NT, W2K, and XP 64-bit. with respect to drivers. I have all of the fore mentioned OS's, but may have to shake up the dust to find W2K set.

neat board. I never did care for the rack optimised boards. I think the one you have is for a 2u setup. You will need to modify your tualatins to work with this board. (google tualatin pin mod)

neat board. I never did care for the rack optimised boards. I think the one you have is for a 2u setup. You will need to modify your tualatins to work with this board. (google tualatin pin mod)

Are you familiar with the Tyan Thunder 2510? The reason I ask is it that I have an Intel D815EEA2 that I dropped a Tualatin 1.4 in and it runs with no problems. I noticed that on page 14 of the 2510 manual it states that the CPU multiplier settings (J54, J55, J56, J57) will have no effect unless you have a non-retail (engineering sample) CPU. So, there are 9 settings in the multiplier grid starting with #4 FSB 133 @ 533 MHz through #8 FSB 133 @ 1067 MHz. There is also a disclaimer from Tyan that more or less says that if you fiddle with the settings, then it's all on you. The manual also states that processor specified is the the PGA Socket 370 Intel Pentium III FC-PGA processor family. As you can see, I'm trying my best to talk myself into dropping that 1.4 in there.

Are you familiar with the Tyan Thunder 2510? The reason I ask is it that I have an Intel D815EEA2 that I dropped a Tualatin 1.4 in and it runs with no problems. I noticed that on page 14 of the 2510 manual it states that the CPU multiplier settings (J54, J55, J56, J57) will have no effect unless you have a non-retail (engineering sample) CPU. So, there are 9 settings in the multiplier grid starting with #4 FSB 133 @ 533 MHz through #8 FSB 133 @ 1067 MHz. There is also a disclaimer from Tyan that more or less says that if you fiddle with the settings, then it's all on you. The manual also states that processor specified is the the PGA Socket 370 Intel Pentium III FC-PGA processor family. As you can see, I'm trying my best to talk myself into dropping that 1.4 in there.

I owned the desktop board. The intel d815 is a tualatin native chipset, so yea, it will work there easily. As for "overclocking" it won't work unless you have an ES processor. ES chips have always been unlocked for "testing" purposes. Their "S" spec codes will always start with a "Q". In the case of the SL6BY 1.4ghz tualatin, the "ES" chip is labeled "QRO0" (that's OH then zero) or QGK5 (different stepping but same difference)

I owned the desktop board. The intel d815 is a tualatin native chipset, so yea, it will work there easily. As for "overclocking" it won't work unless you have an ES processor. ES chips have always been unlocked for "testing" purposes. Their "S" spec codes will always start with a "Q". In the case of the SL6BY 1.4ghz tualatin, the "ES" chip is labeled "QRO0" (that's OH then zero) or QGK5 (different stepping but same difference)

You wouldn't have to have a couple of PGA2 Tualatin adapters around would you?

Small update on my Tyan Thunder S2510 project. The four 1 gig sticks of registered RAM arrived yesterday afternoon. The deal for the Tualatin adapters fell though, so I installed a couple of Coppermine 1000's instead. I had a small problem with heat sinks and fans, as the spacing between RAM slots, 370 ZIF's, and the filter caps are real close. Had to rummage around in my garage loft and finally found a pair of coolers small enough to fit. The 15 year old battery was still charged but I replaced it anyway. The P.O.S.T. seemed to take for ever the first time I fired it up, as it seemed to hang right after the mem check, and DEL wouldn't let me into the BIOS setup. So, I left it on and walked away in frustration for a while, and when I came back it was good to go in the AMI BIOS setup. Seems some items were preset at the factory and the system was looking for a floppy and some other peripherals. Next step is to actually mod the Tualatin 1.4's. There seems to be plenty out there on it, but I've never done it before, and thankfully the Tualatins are plentiful and fairly inexpensive if one screws the process up. Anyone have any pointers on this? Also, need to find a neat case for this as it's destined to be a gamer. Total expenditure so far; less than $60 out of pocket (RAM was the biggie). :mrgreen:

Back