• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Backpack CD-ROM Sound Option

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about this sound option that these Backpack CD-ROM drives could supposedly come with?

Thanks,
D

See http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-re...d-rom-backpack-with-sound-card-156424655.html

Without drivers, it should be just like a CD player which can be attached to external speakers. In theory, with drivers, it could also be used to play PC generated sound. Long tech note follows.

Document # 2205

Sound Compatibility of Backpack CD-ROM’s Built-in 16-bit Sound Board
(Models 16x700, bantam Models 18x200 and Backpacks with Sound Upgrade #826)

Backpack’s built-in sound board is fully Windows and Windows 95 compatible. The Sound board drivers are designed to produce "Windows-compatible" sound. This means that any programs that utilize Windows sound will use Backpack’s BPSOUND.DRV driver to produce "Multimedia Sound" in Windows. This software is only designed for sound compatibility under Windows 3.1, Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and Windows 95. The sound drivers that currently ship with Backpack are not compatible with DOS-based sound applications, Windows NT or OS/2 based applications (including WIN-OS2 utilities).

Programs that require special configuration for "SoundBlaster" "AdLib" "ProAudio Spectrum" and other manufacturers of internal sound cards, or require specific settings for I/O Address, Interrupt (IRQ) , DMA, etc. are typically DOS, or OS/2 based programs and are not compatible with the Backpack’s sound drivers. These types of programs actually search the hardware installed in the computer for sound cards located at a standard sound card I/O address. Backpack’s sound board is located on the parallel port. At this time, DOS and OS/2 programs are not written to search for parallel port sound devices, such as Backpack. Backpack’s sound device does not use an IRQ or DMA, since it is attached to the parallel port of the computer, and utilizes a proprietary Micro Solutions I/O chip for all parallel port communications.

It is important to note that ALL Backpack CD-ROM models are capable of playing CD-AUDIO, or "music CD’s" This type of audio is also known as "Red Book CD-Audio." Playback of this type of audio is a function of the drive mechanism used inside of Backpack CD-ROM. All DOS, Windows, Win95, WinNT and OS/2 "CD Audio" player programs can access the music tracks on a music CD in Backpack CD-ROM. No special sound board is required, although speakers or headphones should be connected to Backpack.

At this time, no DOS or OS/2 drivers are available for Backpack CD-ROM’s 16-bit sound option. Our engineering staff is presently researching ways of enhancing Backpack’s sound compatibility. Micro Solutions has begun development of a device driver to allow partial sound compatibility under DOS. At the time of this printing there is no release date for this driver. For updated information and future driver updates periodically check the Software Library and Technical Support Areas on our Web site.

I noted long ago, after opening up my model 164550, that the sound option (which I do no have) taps into the audio line running from the internal CD-ROM drive to the 'CD audio out' jack on the 164550's rear panel. So, for my 164550, I believe that the sound option situation is per my diagram at [here].

Later models may be different.

Last edited:
Wow, never heard of that before. So in a nutshell you have a parallel port sound card that only comes with win 3.1/w95 drivers... Well no DOS games then, but still so cool that it instantly makes me want to have one. =)

Wow, never heard of that before. So in a nutshell you have a parallel port sound card that only comes with win 3.1/w95 drivers... Well no DOS games then, but still so cool that it instantly makes me want to have one. =)

I just installed the sound option I picked up off the bay. Pretty nice deal.

Is your Backpack drive the model 164550 ?
Did the sound option install per the diagram at post #3, i.e. only intercepts the audio line, or was there more to it ?

I have the 166550. I've attached the "destructions" that came with it, just in case it might help.

Scan_20160323_195430.jpgScan_20160323_195430_001.jpg

Back