• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EPROM Programmer

Lutiana

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone recommend a good, not too expensive, EPROM programmer?

I want to be able to play around with updating the BIOS chips in my XT, 5162 and AT machines as well as some other such chips. It would be great if it was USB and worked with either Windows 7 or some flavor of modern linux (Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS etc).

GQ-4X is a good basic USB programmer. Runs about $100 and works with all versions of Windows XP-10.

The TL866CS is ~$50 on ebay and will program virtually everything you're likely to need. Some sellers throw in a few adaptor boards too, so that you can program chips besides DIP packages.

GQ-4X is a good basic USB programmer. Runs about $100 and works with all versions of Windows XP-10.
I use one of these too, but it is an old version of the GQ-4X. I am very happy with it.

According to the manufacturer's web site, www.mcumall.com, there is new version, quote, "This software is for latest GQ-4X V4(GQ-4x4) universal programmer only. The newer version GQ-4x4 has two beep sounds from programmer when it is power on."

At the web site, "True-USB PRO GQ-4X" appears to be used for the old version, and "True-USB PRO GQ-4X V4" for the new version.

Just a curious question, as I'm looking to upgrade from my old Willem programmer - will these devices program non-cmos chips? IIRC, the reason they added a dc jack to the Willem programmer was due to the higher current/voltage needed.

Its been awhile since I've used it, and the new ones look alot easier to configure, so i might just be in the market for one myself.

I also have the older model GQ4 which i bought back in 2010 and have been very pleased with it, My only gripe is it won't do Pal's / Gal's but i have my Data I/O programmer to do them. You can get cheaper but they all have their pro's and con's, I don't think i have had to use external power when programming the older NMOS 27x chips even though on some it was recommended, I guess it depends on the power output of your USB socket.

I have a Needham EMP-20 burner , plugs into the parallel port, this has worked well for me.

Recently I've had problems finding good EPROM chips, mainly 2764 and 27256.
Many of the UV erasable ones I've bought , even some new old stock ones, don't seem to work anymore.
Is there an alternative more modern chip I can use instead of 2764/27256 ? Even if its a one time burn
only would work for me......

You can substitute 27(c)512, just duplicate your image so it fills the entire chip. That way the extra address pins have no effect.

You can also use a 32-pin EEPROM or flash like the 29F010 if you hang the extra pins off the socket and jumper Vcc.

roms.png

Either of those chips will work if you are ok with OTP.

Note that the 5150 uses 2364 EPROMs, which have a different pinout from 2764. But you can use 27xxx with an adapter like this.

I never liked the older Willems Chinese burners much. Currently using a Xeltek Unipro for old chips (have a nice UV eraser also) and for new motherboard chips a cheap NANO USB dongle programmer.

The Willem PCB6 programmer kit works very well for me, needing to "adjust" the 28F020 chip in an old HP8711C. It took me awhile to get everything setup to work with Win7 64bit home-built computer, Rosewell PCIe add-in parallel port card. Review jumper settings: J1 toward "bottom" position, J2 to "top" position, J3 to bottom of card, J4 to EPROM side, J5 closed, J6 toward "bottom" of card, J7 toward "top" of card, J9 closed. Printing in PLCC adapter in same orientation as printing on card, in the EPROM chip holder. I used an external 12V supply from an discarded router. Fiddling around with software, I ended up with the 64bit "workaround" provided on the CD that comes with the card, augmented by Downtown Doug Brown's notes. I also installed/built the Linux geepro counterpart and got that working as well. Green EPROM LED comes on with power supply. Yellow PROG LED lights during PC boot (I assume when the computer is testing the parallel port for attached hardware) and when there is chip programming activity. I spent too much time diddling with the parallel port card and software while I had J4 jumper in wrong position, but stumbled on the right configuration just as I was running out of steam and looking for an old PC to test with. After that, the programmer and software worked easy-peasy. Hope these notes help you up to speed quicker than I.

Back