• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Oversized 4k monitor options, any cons for the overly enormous?

luvit

Experienced Member
I'm taking my beloved 32" (2560x1440) to my office.
I thought of moving up larger since my home pc will now need a monitor, but found 55" TVS with very similar specs for the same price.. 4K 60HZ 4:4:4 even the latency and blur are equivalent. I don't game, but I do tend to like not having to use task switch keystrokes so often on the 32" monitor.
I have the desk space, my pc can drive full 4k, I like the idea, and just can't think of any negatives to offset the positives.. an I overlooking something?
Considering 55" and I could even consider 65", I have a 34x60" desk surface and presently driving that 32" monitor plus another 15" monitor.
The massive monitor would be 32-34" from my face.

I'm taking my beloved 32" (2560x1440) to my office.
I thought of moving up larger since my home pc will now need a monitor, but found 55" TVS with very similar specs for the same price.. 4K 60HZ 4:4:4 even the latency and blur are equivalent. I don't game, but I do tend to like not having to use task switch keystrokes so often on the 32" monitor.
I have the desk space, my pc can drive full 4k, I like the idea, and just can't think of any negatives to offset the positives.. an I overlooking something?
Considering 55" and I could even consider 65", I have a 34x60" desk surface and presently driving that 32" monitor plus another 15" monitor.
The massive monitor would be 32-34" from my face.

I have a 55" LG in my bar/cave area. I usually set in a booth to watch whatever, sports, wife stuff. I don't think I would enjoy sitting just a foot or two in front of a 55 - 65 LCD, but that's just me. I'm thinking you'd get tired of that real fast. On the other hand, if you are just using the desk for a stage, and lolling around in a big overstuffed chair or on the sofa and using a wireless mouse and keyboard, then that's an entirely differrent ball game - I say go for it. Depending on what you're looking at, your PC video card may need a serious upgrade. I have two 1080's pushing pixels around on a 27" 4K gamer and I consider it adequate to maybe 34 inches of 4K HD.

I have used two 30" 2560x1600 displays for the last 6 years. When the boxes first arrived on the truck, I had second thoughts about their size. From the moment I turned them on, I loved every square inch - to this day. Now I'm looking for something roughly the same size with at least 4K. Having a wall of high dpi pixels means you can put anything anywhere. You never have to use all the space. But when you need it, it is there.

It's like having a war room at the office with 4'x8' sheets of white-board material floor to ceiling on every wall rather than just a few square feet of space in hundreds.

Back