• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What computer is this, in the movie Hackers?

Is that a camera on the front? Looks more like a video teleconference device with a keyboard in front of it.

And vivid color graphics next to an acoustic coupler? Really?

It's been opined that this thing is s studio-modified Compaq Portable/486--the keyboard is Apple and probably the guts were also Apple, since Apple furnished the hardware for most of the props. The trackball in the front panel is just funky.

compaq_portable486.jpg

I think that is not a camera but rather the Powerbook trackball with the grey button turned into the smiley face. The main hardware looks like a Compaq portable with a changed screen and the altered (added) side panel. The keyboard looks to be an Apple keyboard modified with a cover that conceals the function keys.

One minute apart, but at least we agree. This thing never rolled off of any standard assembly line.

The overwhelming presence of Apple iron in the film tells me that Apple would never have allowed an unvarnished Compaq box.

It could be an Apple box. I remember just before the PowerBooks came out, one of Apple's transportable computers had a track ball to the right of the screen. I remember it because I made fun of it to one of my Apple friends because it seemed to copy a similar trackball layout used by IBM.

Wow, never would have guessed Compaq. The trackball was throwing me off, but having had a PowerBook 180 with one of those, I thought it looked a little familiar.

I doubt it was Apple who made them cover anything up. Films often have to hide manufacturer logos for licensing reasons, so sticking something over the Compaq logo makes sense.

Looks like the Apple IIgs keyboard with a cover over it. Macintosh keyboards didn't use that style of key caps.

I have not found any articles describing how the computers were selected. Mildly surprising because one thing Hollywood loves to talk about is how to get someone else to pay for making a movie.

Apple provided a translucent prototype and a prerelease PowerPC laptop. If the prop guys did the Compaq mod, great job capturing the look of what a teen with unlimited time and a well stocked junk bin would try to put together. If it was Apple using a Compaq shell to test logic board design before springing for a new clamshell mold, then there is an interesting story.

One of the images I have seen shows the keyboard close up. It is not a solid plastic cover hiding the Apple original but there are 3 smaller plates concealing each group of function keys. In the picture, the smaller plates are pulling up from the surrounding shell. Having the ability to pop the covers off and gain access to the function keys is a bit more work than a prop designer would do but might make sense for an engineer testing the idea of function keyless laptop keyboards.

Let me see if I can get that closeup. I have the movie in bluray so it should be very clear.. I'll need to try and find it though.

Definitely an Apple keyboard, but that is not an Apple IIgs keyboard.

https://i.imgur.com/nDCQCRv.jpg

Looks like it might be a M0116 in disguise. No function keys, but does have numlock, and the buttons being slightly grey, along with not being the odd IIgs shaped keycaps.

Not an Mo116 (wrong Return key shape) but perhaps an Mo118 inserted into a hacked up Compaq keyboard shell (it would fit without too much mangling, but then you'd need to plug the holes for the function keys, which I think was done with the "plates" you see.

I don't think so, the keycaps are definitely grey, not beige, and the shape of the keycaps don't seem quite right to be the Keyboard II.

I did a search for pictures from the movie and found a closer shot
of the keyboard.
There was no letters or symbols on the keys. It was most likely
spray painted.
The color is not an issue then.
Dwight

Whelp, I'm going to have to add the Compaq Portable/486 to my list of "things I never knew existed, but suddenly have to have".

GDI, every time I scratch something off the list, 2 more items appear. :p

It was a movie I seem to have missed.
Oh well.
Dwight
You didn't miss much, except for a very young Angelina Jolie and the guy who plays Sherlock Holmes on Elementary. Oh and Penn Jillette as an IT guy....

The music wasn't bad as driving music if you like techno... I know we had the Album at work and it was played a lot during our Friday afternoon "Doom/Quake" network games.

And it did have the greatest and truest line ever.... "Spandex is a privilege, not a right" Which I have updated and use often "White Spandex is a privilege, not a right"

Cheers,
Corey

Back