• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any recommendations for an uber simple Windows snipping tool?

2icebitn

Banned
I'm just tired of downloading, installing, uninstalling, deleting. They're all too convoluted. What I need to do is click to activate, delineate, and click to save. I don't want to have to touch the k/b at all. Reactivation is fine, but I'd rather not have to bother. Windows 10s tool makes you click new everytime, and you have to name the file. The MyLibrary app that came with my Asus tf300t was nearly perfect. Down and dirty. My only gripe was you didn't get to choose where the delineation boundaries began, it started in the middle of the screen, and you needed 2 gestures to delineate. If that makes sense. I want to be able to choose and click the mouse, drag to enlarge, then click done, and it autosaves (and the Asus way of choosing a name is bizarre as all get out). Please help. I have reams and reams of docs to go through.

Before long I'll have to write my own.

You might want to consider a service for sniping. I've been using eSnipe since its founding (I do get a special deal because of that) and have no complaints.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm trying to figure out what you're looking for. If I use "ebay snipping", I get nothing but "sniping" results. Exactly what do you mean? Your original post doesn't seem to indicate that.

Like cut and paste sort of thing ??, I don't use Win 10 so not sure.

I tried Jing and a half dozen others. I don't want to have to connect to the internet, not all make you, but they all are feature bloated. I want a simple tool. I haven't scoured source forge yet, just thought I'd ask.

I was only kidding with the caveman comment. I'd be perfectly happy with 7 or 8, but 10mwas preinstalled.

Ahh, I never tried Vista, Tried 7 - 8 and 10 for about 10 mins and thought what a load of S**T, I have some Linux dvd's now and am slowly feeling my way around them.

I'll bet Linux comes packaged with what I'm looking for. I want to put Linux on here, but there may be uefi firmware hurdles to overcome. My older netbook still isn't operational. I also have to back up all my stuff in case of chaos. As soon as I buy another h/d for backup, I'm there. I can't imagine Linux not having something like that. And please understand I'm the caveman for making what could be construed as rude comments. Nothing particularly wrong with being a cave dweller these days. Ugh just look around. 3verybodys nuts. At least in my neighborhood.

No offence taken, i am a bit of a caveman in some ways, so i've been told. :)

Yup, it's called "screenshot" or "screenshooter" or some variation, depending on what you're using for a desktop manager.

And key bindings for the various options can be altered quite simply. So, pressing shift-prtscrn (just now) brings up a "select region" dialog that allows me to save to a file, copy to the clipboard or upload to an image hosting site. So I can get this:

Screenshot_2018-08-06_09-15-07.jpg

As far as I know, current versions of Linux will work with UEFI or BIOS and can even boot 64-bit kernels on 32-bit UEFI installations running on x64 CPUs.

Hunt down a copy of Greenshot. It's an excellent tool. Right click on the tray icon, pick "Capture Region", capture the spot you want and hit "Save As" when the menu pops up after you've selected the region you want.

g.

I tried greenshot. I'm going to have to scour sourceforge. Or write my own. I would pay 10$ for something that does exactly what I want (and no more!). My needs are extremely simple. Don't need to be burdened with bloat. Like I said my Asus app was nearly perfect. Was buggy though.

I tried greenshot. I'm going to have to scour sourceforge. Or write my own. I would pay 10$ for something that does exactly what I want (and no more!). My needs are extremely simple. Don't need to be burdened with bloat. Like I said my Asus app was nearly perfect. Was buggy though.

http://lightscreen.com.ar/ should do what you want, it's small, it's open-source, it will install in a 'portable' mode that you can just delete when you are done, it allows you to define the rectangle area in one gesture, and it auto-names the files based on several options for file naming that you can pick from.

I'll definitely try it manster. I downloaded every version, and the sources.

I found this article ( https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...mped-snipping-tool-and-expands-access-to-sets ) and I have to laugh. I know I'm lazy, but it makes the most sense to design a tool that's the least strain on yournphysiology, particularly if you're ****ing using it for hours on end. Is everyone in Redmond a moron??? If you're going to revamp a tool, don't make it harder to use, it's seen as an improvement to have to use the keyboard instead of the mouse. Don't they test these things?

Back