Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

W10 February 2019 Cumulative Update KB4487017 Will not install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W10 February 2019 Cumulative Update KB4487017 Will not install

KB4487017 will not automatically install and causes an endless reboot loop. When directly downloaded from M$, it dies at about 93%. M$ says a fix is on the way but does not say when to expect it. I have 2 PC's and a laptop affected by this. PITA!
    Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Update

A temporary fix to alleviate the constant looping problem would be to get into 'Update & Security' (WIN + I) and click on 'Advanced options' located in the right hand pane, then move the slider to 'Pause Updates'. This works on the Pro installs but not sure about the Home version. So far, M$ is still spinning its wheels on this. Also, after some Googling, various IT types have expressed concern about some apps no longer working after managing to get the update to install.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Comment

The permanent fix is to nuke Windows 10 from orbit with an ion cannon and use Linux, BSD or Mac OS.

Seriously, this marks how many major catastrophes since it was launched? Despite being out for years, Windows 10 is still in a perpetual state of being alpha quality software and Microsoft is absolving themselves of all responsibility of massive data loss by thousands of users due to forced update screwups.

I'd seriously wager personal data being safer on a 15 year old Windows XP machine than any Windows 10 revision.

Comment

Originally posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
        The permanent fix is to nuke Windows 10 from orbit with an ion cannon and use Linux, BSD or Mac OS.
        Yeah, this. I stuck with Windows all the way through XP's EOL and then some, but it became painfully clear when 8 rolled out and even more so with the ongoing dumpster fire that is 10 that things were just never, ever going to get better again. If I'm going to be banging my head against the wall anyway, I might as well do it on something where I can exercise some degree of control over my own damn computer.
        Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
        Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
        "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Comment

DX12 is the ONLY reason I have win10 on my main gaming system. I tolerate it.

And if anyone says "you can game on linux", send me your physical address, I'll send you one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Bag-Of-Dicks-.../dp/B01GKEUY1Y
          It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by luckybob View Post
            And if anyone says "you can game on linux", send me your physical address, I'll send you one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Bag-Of-Dicks-.../dp/B01GKEUY1Y
            You can game on Linux...provided you don't need to run anything that isn't based on OpenGL and/or SDL (or runs in one of the few halfway-decent emulators available) and are open to the possibility that you may have to just compile the damn thing yourself rather than wait for it to show up in the repositories because God knows you're not going to find a working binary package that isn't three versions out-of-date and only runs on the builder's own particular spin of some distro that definitely isn't the one you're using.

But other than that, it's peachy.
            Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
            "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Comment

The point of owning a PC is to play games?

There's been a major culture shift.
              Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Well THAT particular pc, yes. I'm even going to be upgrading it to a dual 6 core xeon here before the arrival of Cyberpunk 2077. https://youtu.be/8X2kIfS6fb8

Comment

re: linux gaming - first time I tried was exactly as you describe. However it's moved on a bit. Quite a few new games come with Linux installers and just work (on mainstream distros). It's not enough coverage for a keen gamer but it still feels like a lot to me. The last 3 or 4 things I wanted all showed up on Linux at launch or soon after so maybe it's becoming normal?

Access to a full set of latest-greatest shiny games IS the only reason to have a windows 10 install, that I can see, unless you're really unlucky in specific work software needs.

Comment

Originally posted by luckybob View Post
                    DX12 is the ONLY reason I have win10 on my main gaming system. I tolerate it.

Linux has had a large library of games available for it for 15+ years. Steam has only grown that list. Pretty much every game I care about is available on Linux.

Of course there aren't certain games available on the platform, most of them are crappy "AAA" titles made by EA or one of its subsumed entities.

Comment

Pm me your address...

Comment

Originally posted by justanotherhacker View Post
                        re: linux gaming - first time I tried was exactly as you describe. However it's moved on a bit. Quite a few new games come with Linux installers and just work (on mainstream distros). It's not enough coverage for a keen gamer but it still feels like a lot to me. The last 3 or 4 things I wanted all showed up on Linux at launch or soon after so maybe it's becoming normal?
                        It's definitely better than it used to be (Valve and Steam have helped balance things out a bit in the last ten years, though for those of us who aren't interested in having the entire indie games market subsumed by one massive ur-entity that's small comfort.) But it still has a long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
                          Seriously, this marks how many major catastrophes since it was launched? Despite being out for years, Windows 10 is still in a perpetual state of being alpha quality software and Microsoft is absolving themselves of all responsibility of massive data loss by thousands of users due to forced update screwups.
                          This plus their apparent desire to kill of the desktop office suite that made Windows popular in the first place in favor of their "cloud" crud, should be enough to send people running for the hills. Unfortunately, all I see is more people using "smart"phones, and that does not do it for me.

Comment

I've noticed EVERYTHING in the last year or two moving to a "subscription" based "service". Its a damn crime. Double so for the 'games' that the 'AAA' plop out on the counter every year.

I mean there is no innovation. Office 95 (in terms of features) is probably adequate to meet the needs of the vast majority of people. How do you justify to the layman $100 a year for M$ to spy on you, when you can let google spy on you, and get the 'software' for 'free' for basically the same service?

Win8/10 went the wrong direction for us "power users", who actually know what the hell we are doing most of the time. The sad fact is, M$ is still a better platform than anything the linux community has shat out. Case in point, while I write this, I'm trying to get unbuntu to load a driver for a mellanox network card so I can configure a 'smart' managed switch. Something that should not take a damned masters degree in computer science to do. For the record, this is Ubuntu. This isnt some obscure distro. This is even on the webpage as a compatible OS for these networks cards. What could go wrong?

well just about everything. In windows you right click the driver file, select install and the majority of the time, THATS IT. You go and try to do the same thing under linux? hell no. It just opens the install script like you were going to rewrite the damn thing from scratch for fun. The layperson ends up trying to understand the broken English of some random YouTube video of some random Indian (person from India) who also happens to be doing the recording in a bathroom or windtunnel, and if he happens to have a slightly different version, you're ****ed.

I tolerate Windows 10, but its a damn blessing compared to the inane bullshit that is linux. Granted, in a server or embedded environment, Linux is king. No question. Any other application its just a damn waste of time, much like windows in the server department.

Comment

I guess I should pour gasoline on my Linux systems and go back to OS/2.

Linux (or any of the BSDs) is fine with me--I haven't found anything that I can't do that I need to. And I've got the source if I get desperate.

Wither the W10 source code?
                              Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Working...
                              X