• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

W10 February 2019 Cumulative Update KB4487017 Will not install

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
KB4487017 will not automatically install and causes an endless reboot loop. When directly downloaded from M$, it dies at about 93%. M$ says a fix is on the way but does not say when to expect it. I have 2 PC's and a laptop affected by this. PITA! :mad:

Update

A temporary fix to alleviate the constant looping problem would be to get into 'Update & Security' (WIN + I) and click on 'Advanced options' located in the right hand pane, then move the slider to 'Pause Updates'. This works on the Pro installs but not sure about the Home version. So far, M$ is still spinning its wheels on this. Also, after some Googling, various IT types have expressed concern about some apps no longer working after managing to get the update to install.

The permanent fix is to nuke Windows 10 from orbit with an ion cannon and use Linux, BSD or Mac OS.

Seriously, this marks how many major catastrophes since it was launched? Despite being out for years, Windows 10 is still in a perpetual state of being alpha quality software and Microsoft is absolving themselves of all responsibility of massive data loss by thousands of users due to forced update screwups.

I'd seriously wager personal data being safer on a 15 year old Windows XP machine than any Windows 10 revision.

The permanent fix is to nuke Windows 10 from orbit with an ion cannon and use Linux, BSD or Mac OS.
Yeah, this. I stuck with Windows all the way through XP's EOL and then some, but it became painfully clear when 8 rolled out and even more so with the ongoing dumpster fire that is 10 that things were just never, ever going to get better again. If I'm going to be banging my head against the wall anyway, I might as well do it on something where I can exercise some degree of control over my own damn computer.

And if anyone says "you can game on linux", send me your physical address, I'll send you one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Bag-Of-Dicks-Sent-Anonymously/dp/B01GKEUY1Y
You can game on Linux...provided you don't need to run anything that isn't based on OpenGL and/or SDL (or runs in one of the few halfway-decent emulators available) and are open to the possibility that you may have to just compile the damn thing yourself rather than wait for it to show up in the repositories because God knows you're not going to find a working binary package that isn't three versions out-of-date and only runs on the builder's own particular spin of some distro that definitely isn't the one you're using.

But other than that, it's peachy.

re: linux gaming - first time I tried was exactly as you describe. However it's moved on a bit. Quite a few new games come with Linux installers and just work (on mainstream distros). It's not enough coverage for a keen gamer but it still feels like a lot to me. The last 3 or 4 things I wanted all showed up on Linux at launch or soon after so maybe it's becoming normal?

Access to a full set of latest-greatest shiny games IS the only reason to have a windows 10 install, that I can see, unless you're really unlucky in specific work software needs.

DX12 is the ONLY reason I have win10 on my main gaming system. I tolerate it.

And if anyone says "you can game on linux", send me your physical address, I'll send you one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Bag-Of-Dicks-Sent-Anonymously/dp/B01GKEUY1Y

Linux has had a large library of games available for it for 15+ years. Steam has only grown that list. Pretty much every game I care about is available on Linux.

Of course there aren't certain games available on the platform, most of them are crappy "AAA" titles made by EA or one of its subsumed entities.

re: linux gaming - first time I tried was exactly as you describe. However it's moved on a bit. Quite a few new games come with Linux installers and just work (on mainstream distros). It's not enough coverage for a keen gamer but it still feels like a lot to me. The last 3 or 4 things I wanted all showed up on Linux at launch or soon after so maybe it's becoming normal?
It's definitely better than it used to be (Valve and Steam have helped balance things out a bit in the last ten years, though for those of us who aren't interested in having the entire indie games market subsumed by one massive ur-entity that's small comfort.) But it still has a long way to go.

Seriously, this marks how many major catastrophes since it was launched? Despite being out for years, Windows 10 is still in a perpetual state of being alpha quality software and Microsoft is absolving themselves of all responsibility of massive data loss by thousands of users due to forced update screwups.
This plus their apparent desire to kill of the desktop office suite that made Windows popular in the first place in favor of their "cloud" crud, should be enough to send people running for the hills. Unfortunately, all I see is more people using "smart"phones, and that does not do it for me.

I've noticed EVERYTHING in the last year or two moving to a "subscription" based "service". Its a damn crime. Double so for the 'games' that the 'AAA' plop out on the counter every year.

I mean there is no innovation. Office 95 (in terms of features) is probably adequate to meet the needs of the vast majority of people. How do you justify to the layman $100 a year for M$ to spy on you, when you can let google spy on you, and get the 'software' for 'free' for basically the same service?

Win8/10 went the wrong direction for us "power users", who actually know what the hell we are doing most of the time. The sad fact is, M$ is still a better platform than anything the linux community has shat out. Case in point, while I write this, I'm trying to get unbuntu to load a driver for a mellanox network card so I can configure a 'smart' managed switch. Something that should not take a damned masters degree in computer science to do. For the record, this is Ubuntu. This isnt some obscure distro. This is even on the webpage as a compatible OS for these networks cards. What could go wrong?

well just about everything. In windows you right click the driver file, select install and the majority of the time, THATS IT. You go and try to do the same thing under linux? hell no. It just opens the install script like you were going to rewrite the damn thing from scratch for fun. The layperson ends up trying to understand the broken English of some random YouTube video of some random Indian (person from India) who also happens to be doing the recording in a bathroom or windtunnel, and if he happens to have a slightly different version, you're ****ed.

I tolerate Windows 10, but its a damn blessing compared to the inane bullshit that is linux. Granted, in a server or embedded environment, Linux is king. No question. Any other application its just a damn waste of time, much like windows in the server department.

I guess I should pour gasoline on my Linux systems and go back to OS/2. :)

Linux (or any of the BSDs) is fine with me--I haven't found anything that I can't do that I need to. And I've got the source if I get desperate.

Wither the W10 source code? :)

My take (FWIW): There is nothing wrong with W10. It always seems to get the job done. I've never had any lock-ups or BSOD's with my installs. Games run as they're supposed to with wonderfully integrated driver sets. The problems lies with their product marketing tactics and the manner in which they administer the same. Their 'nanny' attitude is designed to keep their moniker in the forefront through the relentless release of so called fixes. No need to spend a bundle on advertising when they know you're going to be thinking about them every time you turn your machine on. With that being said, I'm presently running it on 4 units and it was all free.

My take (FWIW): There is nothing wrong with W10. I've never had any lock-ups or BSOD's with my installs.

3 times I have had Win 10 updates trash my system files to the point my computer wouldn't even boot. Couldn't roll back to the previous install either. Lucky i had a recovery disk. One of the last updates didn't install any improvements at all. Instead it installed a bunch of apps that I couldn't give a $heet about.

3 times I have had Win 10 updates trash my system files to the point my computer wouldn't even boot. Couldn't roll back to the previous install either. Lucky i had a recovery disk. One of the last updates didn't install any improvements at all. Instead it installed a bunch of apps that I couldn't give a $heet about.

When the system runs it runs good. Updates are a different animal.

Reality is that M$ completely dominates the OS market and has for decades. It is now impossible for any other entity to even make a dent in that market.
About 20 years age there was a saying in IT that" no IT person has ever been fired for using MS products". That was when Linux distros and OS/2 were trying to made some headway in the market.
Those days are over now with no other product challenging the OS market.

Back