• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows ME driving me nuts

facattack

Veteran Member
I have an old Gateway with ME. Trying to unformatthe hard drive with "Recover my files" program I found on internet. The program won't back up to the same hard drive. BUT my external hard drive is not recognized by ME to be a seperate hard drive. It insists on viewing it as being a "USB storage device" folder within the C drive. :(

My only other alternative is to take the CD-ROM out and plug in another internal hard drive. But this one is a meager 20 GB just like the one within the unit itself.

Well.... if you were not running something like "Norton Image" on a daily basis, recovering a formatted hard drive is close to impossible. Just recovering a few known files would be a lot of work.

I was wondering if there was anyway for ME to recognize external drives. I've searched online, but there don't seem to be any drivers for it that I know of. Anyhow, the external drive is a Seagate 120 GB drive I think.

:( I forgot that I tried to install Linux on the other internal drive, so I'm going to have to take out C drive, boot it from Linux, then ... *bangs head*

But anyway, this program seems to recover the files just fine. Not all of them mind you, but a good amount.

Windows ME was the home/general user version of 2000 Professional. Or so MS likes to say. So think of it like the Home and Pro of XP. One has all the features, the other sucks.

-VK

Actually Me is "supposed" to be an upgraded version of 98. And of course still uses fat 32 partitions unlike win 2000 that uses ntfs partitions by default. After you get all the data off the hdd, I would recomend upgrading to 2000.

Windows ME and Windows 2000 have nothing to do with each other.
Windows ME is nothing except a (very bad done) update to Windows 98 SE, which imho is far better.
Windows 2000 is an update to Windows NT, which itself has nothing to do with the old DOS-based systems (3.x/95/98). Don't confuse the systems; ME might look like 2000, but is a completely different system. So you can't "update" to 2000, you only can format/install.

ME sucks really. If you don't want 2000, then get down to 98SE.

Regards,
Svenska

My mistake. During the 98-2000 period I ran UNIX, so I didn't' really keep up with the windows crowd. I haven't even seen ME actually, I've only heard of the legends, some of which must have a little mis-information in them.

-VK

ME does have some additional features not present in 98SE, but I can't name them. It is remarkably slow and clumsy though. Many advanced home users would rather get W2K, although it was not intended for them. Microsoft can thank their lucky star for the decision to merge the OSes into one line with XP.

But anyway, this program seems to recover the files just fine. Not all of them mind you, but a good amount.

Been watching the thread, no chance to reply until now. Are you going to change OS's? A lot of people say WinME is the "windows that should never have been." I use win2k on my main machine and have absolutely no problems, can use anything that XP can and have all the conveniences of not having all the bloatware that XP came with. Plus, it's Pro, so I have all the cool items in Admin Tools that make my machine a (limited) server. All native, it rocks. The dial up options for service for local dial-ins are really cool to have. Experimenting...

Nathan

Back