Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Electrical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Question

Calling a pro...

So right now I have a rather large UPS in one of my three racks and right now it's doing a very inefficient job powering one infrequently used HP 9000 system instead of the rest of my servers where I really need it due to frequent drop-outs. The UPS has an L14-30P (X, Y, neutral and ground) plug for connecting to the breaker panel but in the output side I only have an L6-30R (X, Y, ground) receptacle to connect a PDU. For the HP that's fine because I can flick it to 230v service and that's fine but the second rack has several 120v-only devices, so I have to use a PDU that has both 230v (x, y) and split-phase 120v (X or Y, neutral) but that then comes with an L14-30P, which won't connect to the UPS currently.
    Replacing the receptacle on the UPS is fairly trivial as it's just a regular box mount unit....

...however adding the Neutral raises questions.
    If I remember right, in Canada and most of residential North America, the Neutral wire from the wall, at the breaker panel and at the pole is just ground, however it is only allowed to connect directly to ground at the breaker panel and at the pole. Doing so anywhere else isn't allowed.
    My theory is that so long as my neutral to the breaker panel isn't broken, I can route the neutral from the UPS input to the output and in a power failure the UPS will handle the 120/230v and the neutral will still work on its way back to ground and everything will still operate. Is this correct?
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

It depends on the UPS. The output may have a grounded conductor tap that you can use. What brand and model UPS?
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Comment

Hewlett Packard Power Trust A2998A. I got no docs for the thing. I talked about it on badcaps.net about a decade ago and all the support links are long broken.

[Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Comment

Neutral isn't ground. Due to the way most residential power distribution is in our region, neutral is *usually* connected to ground at the service point, because your utility connects the neutral from their transformer to ground. This serves to keep all your service conductors less than 150V referenced to ground, for safety's sake.

When your UPS is operating, ground is only ground. The UPS must provide a neutral, and yours doesn't. Circumventing the UPS with your neutral is a really bad idea. And most likely, you just won't have a neutral when the mains power is off and the UPS is powering its load.

The best case scenario is that your 120V loads will not function at all. The worst case scenario is that some of them receive 250V. Actually the worst case is that you could conceivably raise a safety ground to 250V.
        Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

You might be able to get away with it. I've got a wall oven that's a 3-wire setup. 240V 40A with a 120V clock, permanently wired. Neutral is strapped to the oven cabinet. That was NEMA code prior to 1994. Modern installations use a 4-wire setup with the connection between ground and neutral broken.

Most wall oven installation manuals will show how to wire for either 3 or 4 wire service. You could claim an exemption under grandfathering old equipment. I suspect that the local authorities wouldn't have a problem.

Now, if it's 3-phase wiring, that's a different matter...

Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

You might get away with using a common circuit breaker as a backup generator transfer switch, too, but I sure wouldn't do it. Too much chance for too much error.

When the UPS is online, it's not much different than an isolation transformer. If your isolation transformer doesn't have a centre tap, the only way you might get safe split phase power is if all your loads are identical.

IMAG0087.jpg

Comment

Looking over the spec sheet for the A2998A (HP museum has one), it appears that the output is 240V fixed. No mention is made of 120V capability. Get yourself a 240V-120V transformer for your 120VAC equipment and then ground everything. An autotransformer is not suitable for this application.

Comment

+1 for Chuck's isolating transformer. Be safe!

Dave

Comment

I agree with the isolation transformer idea, as that allows you to be sure about the grounded conductor (that's a narrowly-defined NEC technical term that is distinct from the "grounding conductor"). The grounded conductor can be the neutral, but, in the absence of a neutral, one of the phase conductors can be the grounded conductor, as in corner-grounded three-phase delta systems.

Looking at your photo, it doesn't look like there is a neutral on the output, and if it has a built in transformer like our Symmetra Power Arrays do connecting the neutral of the primary to the output won't actually work.

The isolation transformer will generate the neutral properly, but do make sure that you properly bond to the ground at the transformer output. See the NEC for the subject of separately-derived systems. A discussion of this subject can be read at https://www.ecmweb.com/bonding-amp-g...g-transformers. The purpose is to keep from an unsafe condition during a ground fault.
                  --
                  Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Comment

That's one of the reasons that I ruled out an autotransformer (probably easier to come by). If you used one of those, one side of the 240V would also be one side of the 120V output, which could be a very dangerous thing.

Side story about safety:

A couple of years ago, our pad-mounted distribution transformer blew a fuse. The lineman opened the box, and got out a 10 ft fiberglass pole and warned me to stand to one side. Using the pole, he unscrewed the fuse and inserted a new one. He said that occasionally a blown fuse was due to a transformer fault and it was not nice to be around for the fireworks.
                    (Our transformer is fed by 12KV)

Comment

In a house, nuetral is a current carrying path. When the UPS takes over, there will be no current carrying path. The ground of the fuse box is a current carrying path, ground isn't that path. When the UPS kicks in, just connecting the neutral wire to ground does not complete the circuit to the UPS output, that has been disconnected from all input leads. All are right, you need to use a isolation transformer.
                      Dwight

Comment

"Ground" is the lead, that when firmly grasped while standing barefoot in a mud puddle isn't going to electrocute you.

Comment

And neutral is really only neutral because it's referenced to ground. (But it is not ever "ground".)

Neutral is most notable for being able to serve two circuits (on opposite "phases") with a single conductor. This is being phased out.

I wish we'd come up with a new word for safety ground and start calling earth ground "earth". The word ground makes everything far too confusing.

Comment

Yeah, I'd go with Chuck's suggestion of an isolation transformer. You can get smallish ones sorta cheap, it's common to need one to go from one phase of 240V or 480V delta to 120V or 120-0-120 split phase (center tapped secondary). They're often reconnectable/multitap or carry multiple ratings, so you might end up with e.g. a 480V/240V primary and center tapped 240V/120V secondary, which would do the same job. Shipping will undoubtedly be the big cost.

If it were me, and the big HP UPS is efficient enough to make running it practical (old ones often aren't worth running), I'd probably just get a 240V PDU and make sure I had 240V-capable supplies in the servers in that rack. There are PDUs that use a different IEC plug on the pigtail, which makes getting 120V-only equipment mixed up harder to do.
                            Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Many power supplies are designed to run from 120 or 240. They often have a jumper inside for that purpose. You have to realize that they sell units to other countries as well. These jumpers are often not brought out to switches as most don't like being connected to the wrong voltage. Before going to the trouble of using transformers on units, you might take a look under the covers. It might void warranties as well.
                              Dwight

Comment

Working...
                              X