• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Motherboard fan ratings?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I've got a case that can accept a 120mm fan. I also have a 12V 120mm fan that is spec-ed at 2.5A. Is it safe for me to plug this into my motherboard's case fan connector, or should I use an external controller?

2.5A sounds like a lot. How much air is it rated to move? I guess it depends on your Motherboard, But I would think most would only be happy supplying half those amps.

2.5A is certainly odd. They normally have way under 500mA. I don't think the tiny traces of the fan connector on the mainboard are able to take 30 watts and I wouldn't recommend even trying it. Better take the voltage from a molex connector, IF you need to use that fan after all.

If i had to use it i'd probably use an external controller, You could probably control it better anyway, Unless you know for sure your mobo supports it, Some of those fans can be bloody noisy at times, When they decide to go supersonic.

These fans are all over the surplus market for cheap (about USD $5 typically). Here's an Alibaba listing for it

Since I was ordering a bunch of other stuff, I thought that I'd toss one of these into the order.

Found a YT video on the thing here. Um, yeah, it is a beast. I've got one of those Chinese cheap PWM fan controllers around here; maybe I'll give it a try.

If that's a no-go, I'll turn it into a boot dryer...

I've got a case that can accept a 120mm fan. I also have a 12V 120mm fan that is spec-ed at 2.5A. Is it safe for me to plug this into my motherboard's case fan connector, or should I use an external controller?

You could safely run that fan off of a 4-pin molex adapter to one of PS rails. I don't believe it's a good idea to be pull 2.5 a on a small mobo fan connector. It would probably work for a while but I'm thinking it's going to get hot. Try it and see how it goes.

As I said, somewhere around here I've got a little Chinese 24V fan control board and thermistor probe. I don't even remember why I picked it up.
I'm pretty sure that it will deal 12V well.

Heck, I might even see if running the fan off the 5V rail will make for quiet operation.

I tried the fan with a 5VDC supply--spins right up, pushing a lot of air, drawing about 600 ma. and fairly quiet. I may use it that way. Much lower than that (e.g. 3VDC), the fan squeals, but won't start.

Back