• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Examples of the last games that run on Windows XP?

computerdude92

Veteran Member
I am over the hill as a tech geek and unfamiliar with modern gaming. How long ago did new games stop supporting XP? Did it happen quickly after the end of the Microsoft support date in April, 2014? I have a powerful AMD Bulldozer system, so please feel free and suggest any game. Thanks.

Steam, the online gaming distribution service, officially stopped supporting Windows XP (and Vista) as of January 1st, 2019.

All of the games that were ever designed to play on XP are still around and there are plenty of forums with help. I have a dedicated XP gamer and here's a small list of what's on it:

- Hit Man 2: Silent Assassin
- Age of Empires II
- Crysis
- The Conquerors
- Tom Clancy's H.A.W.K.
- Quake IV

Most of my games are 'shooters' and are not for every ones taste or young children. You will need a decent video card and your present CPU should be excellent. There's a pretty good thread here on the forum about building a dedicated XP gamer:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?50255-ASUS-A7N8X-E-Deluxe

I am occasionally still getting stuff from GOG and playing it in Windows 2000, though ironically recent GOG releases include a DLL which makes everything fail to execute in WinXP. Under 2000 the extended kernel takes care of it but XP needs a different workaround. Many are re-releases, console ports, or translations. Plus a few from sources other than GOG.

Jade Empire, Two Worlds, Saints Row 2, Mount&Blade Warband, Torchlight 2, Cosmic Star Heroine, Trails in the Sky parts 1/2/3, Ys Seven, Ys Origins, Into the Breach, Hyperdimension Neptunia parts 1/2/3, Pillars of Eternity, Agarest: Generations of War, Freedom Planet, Oniken, Sins of a Solar Empire, Xanadu Next, Tempest of the Heavens and Earth, Shank 1/2

I know the first four Five Nights at Freddy's games work on XP if you're into survival horror type stuff. I played those on my YouTube channel on a Dell DImension 4600 running XP Pro SP3.. FNaF 4 was in 2015 and FNaF World in 2016. All these save for FNaF World are on Steam (FNaF World I think is on GameJolt).

Back