• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

seemingly good deal on an lga3647 motherboard

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
https://www.newegg.com/asus-z11pa-d...n-up/p/N82E16813119062R?Item=N82E16813119062R

I'm not going to be jumping on this one I don't think. There's a chinese ebay seller that has Xeon Plantinum 8156's for 200$. They're only 4 core though. My current lga2066 box has an 8 core chip (3.2ghz) that I paid about the same for. But it's only a single processor motherboard. Whatever. It's all fun but you have to learn when to say no.

I contacted Asus, and you really should do your own research, but my understanding is their policy on open box items, I specifcally repeated the phrase so they had to know what I was asking, is they'll honor whatever is left of the warranty. If someone bought it 1/1/21 and returned it, the warranty coverage will begin at that point even if it's resold. Pretty fair policy if you were to ask me.

If multiple processor systems don't get your motor running, then just move along I guess.

Last edited:
https://www.newegg.com/asus-z11pa-d...n-up/p/N82E16813119062R?Item=N82E16813119062R

I'm not going to be jumping on this one I don't think. There's a chinese ebay seller that has Xeon Plantinum 8156's for 200$. They're only 4 core though. My current lga2066 box has an 8 core chip (3.2ghz) that I paid about the same for. But it's only a single processor motherboard. Whatever. It's all fun but you have to learn when to say no.

I contacted Asus, and you really should do your own research, but my understanding is their policy on open box items, I specifcally repeated the phrase so they had to know what I was asking, is they'll honor whatever is left of the warranty. If someone bought it 1/1/21 and returned it, the warranty coverage will begin at that point even if it's resold. Pretty fair policy if you were to ask me.

If multiple processor systems don't get your motor running, then just move along I guess.

Is this going to be your server or just a conversation piece? And if it is your server, what do you intend to serve?

I like dual processor systems to play with but only after they are obsolete and worthless. You are better off with a single 8 core desktop motherboard and chip for a main machine or gaming rig then buying the $400 board you linked to and then finding chips and heatsinks for them.

I agree a single 8 core chip is better then 2 4 core chips. Especially when you pay twice as much. But there was the option of upgrading to more powerful cpu's down the road.

The board was under 300$ after the instant discount. Heatsinks are a way of life, no worried there. The availability of cpu's sort of reasonably was the major selling point. The fun is in piecing it all together.

Old and worthless does me little good when it's purpose is to be my main PC. Server systems are cool, and performance wise there isn't a better bang for the buck. I just like them.

There are 4 cpu boards out there also. The more the merrier.

I have way too many machines running, but my main Unraid server is a SuperMicro with dual E5-2630v2 cpus, and 32gb of ram, this runs 2 vm's and 8 to 10 dockers at any given time, along with the storage which is currently 17 sas attached Hdds.
If you don't need the high I/O or cpu performance the newer systems give you, you can pick up a box like mine for around 300-400 without the hard drives, after shipping.

I have way too many machines running, but my main Unraid server is a SuperMicro with dual E5-2630v2 cpus, and 32gb of ram, this runs 2 vm's and 8 to 10 dockers at any given time, along with the storage which is currently 17 sas attached Hdds.
If you don't need the high I/O or cpu performance the newer systems give you, you can pick up a box like mine for around 300-400 without the hard drives, after shipping.

dabone,

Is this just hobby/enthusiast or do you actually use that lashup in business?

although there are some prebuilt xeon based boxes I have a fondness for, HP and Lenovo, I derive pleasure from piecing stuff together. People think it's so hard. Here and there you take a chance. But it all comes down to doing some homework. Yes you can't plan for everything. Each case could require you to learn new skills.

I agree a single 8 core chip is better then 2 4 core chips. Especially when you pay twice as much. But there was the option of upgrading to more powerful cpu's down the road.

The board was under 300$ after the instant discount. Heatsinks are a way of life, no worried there. The availability of cpu's sort of reasonably was the major selling point. The fun is in piecing it all together.

Old and worthless does me little good when it's purpose is to be my main PC. Server systems are cool, and performance wise there isn't a better bang for the buck. I just like them.

There are 4 cpu boards out there also. The more the merrier.

Most people don't use that many cores on a daily basis so older and slower isn't the way to go. Newer desktop chips also have built in video and video decoding capabilities to make streaming movies a much better experience.

Older servers tend to have cheaper RAM and more slots so that is a plus if you need a ton of RAM and are too cheap to pay for the latest and greatest.

Heatsinks for server chips tend to be more expensive and you need two of them so that factors into costs, plus powering 2 chips adds to the electric bill.

I used to run a dual 6 core Opteron system as my main machine (12 actual cores) with 64GB of RAM (old ECC REG DDR2) and it ran OK, but my current i5-4750 (4 core) with 16GB of DDR3-1600 is faster for the mundane stuff I do with this system and uses much less electricity (do you guys remember when Intel chips used little power?).

Any single Ryzen chip available today would blow the doors off my old rig and wouldn't cost that much either.

While my needs are very modest, I too may go with a somewhat older board. I had been looking at lga1366 boards and prebuilts. I imagine I'd be happy with something of that vintage, but anything older doesn't seem to make sense for day to day use. I've had an lga2011 board in my watch list for months. It's list of compatible cpu's is limited and off the beaten path (e5-4600 v1 and v2 I think), not a problem really, loads and loads of server chips and decent prices. It just kills me to invest in ddr3 ram. Just a thing of mine.

I should just quit when I'm ahead and stick with what I got probably. I have a fondness for Intel branded boards though. My original was a dual socket 771. It ran Windows 2000 out of the box, I don't recall changing anything specific to that in the bios. And had pata support. And a plain pci slot. It had some groovy features. But was too old to keep around I figured.

I got my i5-4570 and i7-3770 from a local guy for a few bucks each ( he likes to recycle old machines he snags but would rather somebody use them). They are Thinkcentre machines and just needed a HD, came with some RAM. The i7 I replaced the power supply (you just need a cable adapter from 24 pin to 10 pin and stuck my RX580 in there from my AM3+ FX-8350 machine (stuck an older HD 7950 OC 3GB card in there).

Snagged another i5 machine from him as well but without CPU and I put a Pentium G3220 in there and use for video playback on my dumb TV using the displayport and CPU video (with a HDMI to displayport cable). The dual core + built in video is fast enough to do 1080p .x264/x265 decoding without missing frames.

dabone,

Is this just hobby/enthusiast or do you actually use that lashup in business?

That just my home media server. It's been slowly growing for years. I also love having a server that I can spin up whatever I want to play with.

I'm a tech for a living, so I play with stuff at home for awhile before I try to push stuff on customers. :)

That just my home media server. It's been slowly growing for years. I also love having a server that I can spin up whatever I want to play with.

I'm a tech for a living, so I play with stuff at home for awhile before I try to push stuff on customers. :)

Excellent! Keep on going until she says no. :wow:

Back