• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I want to talk about my 23-25yr old coffee robot..

VERAULT

Veteran Member
159320623_flavia-coffee-tea-and-hot-chocolate-brewer-maker-machine.jpg

Back in 1998 or 1999 I was a consultant for a large local Pharmaceutical company. You know the one. And around that time they were riding pretty high on their blue penis pills, putting up new elaborate buildings on a constant basis. While doing some work in one of thier nicer buildings, a worker had told me how they had got into this new Coffee system by MARS (the candy company). It was the MARS S300 Flavia drinkstation. Teas, coffee, hot chocolates, and frothy toppings could be easily had with an individual packet a little bigger than the size of a gourmet tea packet.

When I first saw this thing it blew my mind. I knew I had to have one. They had so many types of coffee and teas in so many flavors. And besides the fact that this coffee robot was big elaborate and really facinating to watch run through its paces, it tasted exquisite. I am a snob of fine drink. (and yes I don't like Keurig).

Fast forward to 2003 and I came across a craigslist lad for a fellow selling two of these units. They were never available for sale to the general public. Mars would let you "barrow a unit" for a month, and when all your employees renounced "Hell yes, more please" Mars would put you on a contract for service, stock of drink packets of your choosing, and sugars, cups, other goods necessary. See the machine wasnt charged.. They made thier money on the contract of service and supplies.
Anyway, his two units he claimed came from a Gas station. I couldnt tell you how many drinks were on them when I bought mine (for between $200 and $250 from what I can remember). When you open the front door on the S300 there is a liquid crystal screen showing how many drink cycles have been completed much like and hour counter or odometer for engines. Mine may have been between 6000 and 10000 when I bought it if memory serves.

I looked at it this morning and its at 19,252 drink cycles. I know for a fact this over-engineered drink machine was never meant to dispense that many in its lifetime but here it is still going today. I am sorry I cant show you my unit , as its on a metal rack in my kitchen and its cumbersome and heavy. Here is one for sale in the UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/1523328700

Now I have had some issues with it over the years. Most notibly the membrane button system on the front failed so I used the lens off a fire alarm in an office building to make a new bar from which to install push buttons and hand wired replacements to the membrane system.. Its worked that way since about 2010. I did get a plumbing option so the brassboiler could be fed by a water supply but I have used the internal filler and have filled its 1.5gallon capacity by hand since I owned it. It has a coin drawer which can be set to any increment of money to allow a drink; mine was set to free and I was never given the Coin door key. I found a document online to set dealer settings which covered amounts of water used for various drinks and the amounts of time the steam vacuum, packet blower (to force the remaining water out of the packet), or time it takes to allow a packet to steep. The packets are collected in an internal collection bucket which we empty a couple times a week. My Wife and I drink about 3 drinks a day from the machine.

Mars sold off the Machine to Alterra some years ago and from there to Lavazza I believe recently. New versions are still made but its niche is still commercial use only. Personal units have been made (we owned one), but due to poor materials and the cost of packets it failed.

We have to scour eBay for boxes (a box contains 100 drink packets) but prices fluctuate. This IS a great product and I really have no idea why they didn't get the market share. Clearly the need was there, everyone bought a Keurig which is a far inferior machine (im sorry it just tastes bad... And I have had it many times).

But at the end of the day, this coffee machine which has serviced almost 20,000 steaming hot drinks has been a testament of design. Maybe its not Vintage, but its on the cusp. And I have been proud to own one all these years.

Mick

Back