Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome back!

If you're seeing this then welcome to the NEW Vintage Computer Forums.

The forums have been updated to the latest version of the software which means new features and some changes to old ones.

Please don't be alarmed. Change is good!
2 of 2 < >

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Advice--best P4 heatsink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic isn't always a bad thing. It's cheap ultra mass produced plastic that's the problem I'm guessing. To go off topic a bit, the upper intake manifold on my hooptie is plastic. It carries air and coolant. It's not a matter of if but when it'll fail, and potentially hydrolocking the engine. But at 175k it's still doing it's job. Later models use aluminum. But aluminum can also fatigue and crack. Can't expect everything to be made of cast iron or steel. There's a lot of engineering in these boards. Can't expect too much.

Comment

It's materials choice that is so often short sighted. I used to own a Volvo 940 turbo-brick. Great car; good mileage and lots of room, particularly if you put the rear seats down. It had two weaknesses--lead-free solder in the electronics (that could be repaired) and use of plastic everywhere. After about 20 years, the plastic just cracked and broke if you looked cross-eyed at it. At about the same time the turbo was leaking and wiring insulation was starting to develop issues. It was a matter of pouring a bunch of cash into the thing and dealing with the plastic or getting rid of it. I chose the latter.

On the Intel heatsink assembly, the clips retaining the heatsink to the board look to be unreinforced PA6 or PDM. Said plastic does not age well when used at elevated temperatures. A couple of spring clips would have been more robust and lasted indefinitely--and probably would have been cheaper to manufacture.

Ask any museum curator about the long-term suitability of plastics.

Comment

Plastic isn't going to last forever, that's a given. But it varies in durability, longevity. Here I am staring at any number of plastic vintage puter items. Some I'm afraid to look at, as the gesture may be taken the wrong way. Other pieces, while yellowed, are as sturdy as ever. All were at least semi mass produced in injection molds. The plastics in my 98 Pontiac are holding up well. The vinyl dashboard not so well. But I've taken no steps to preserve it either. And it isn't horrible. I'm sure agents to diminish harmful uv or ir were inserted at the time of manufacture.

I'm at least attempting to utilize items as old as your p4 board. But I would imagine if you filed a complaint w/the manufacturer regarding the putrid condition of your heatsink retention mechanism, you'd be confronted by a great deal of laughter as a best case scenario. Nothing lasts forever. Look at these bodies. Who made all that?? I want to know where to complain.

I happen to like plastic, in some applications. It's pretty. Around 15 years ago I started collecting these Gundam plastic model kits. Oh they look so nice. I haven't assembled not 1. They just sit in boxes. Colored plastic really is beautiful. And me saying I like them belies that fact that all along my intention was to burn out the originals in lost wax molds. One of these decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
          We know.
          Esp 20+ year old things with plastic tabs holding it together.
          We did battery mitigation before I got here, I don't want to tell
          them they have to do it for SMD electrolytics as well otherwise
          there will be zero chance of restoring things after the traces
          near them have rotted.

Comment

It's materials choice that is so often short sighted. I used to own a Volvo 940 turbo-brick. Great car; good mileage and lots of room, particularly if you put the rear seats down. It had two weaknesses--lead-free solder in the electronics (that could be repaired) and use of plastic everywhere. After about 20 years, the plastic just cracked and broke if you looked cross-eyed at it. At about the same time the turbo was leaking and wiring insulation was starting to develop issues. It was a matter of pouring a bunch of cash into the thing and dealing with the plastic or getting rid of it. I chose the latter.

On the Intel heatsink assembly, the clips retaining the heatsink to the board look to be unreinforced PA6 or PDM. Said plastic does not age well when used at elevated temperatures. A couple of spring clips would have been more robust and lasted indefinitely--and probably would have been cheaper to manufacture.

I ordered two dozen replacement clips for LGA775 era heatsinks that had broken bits off ebay for $5.55 shipped last year.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8Pcs-set-Fa...n/133430344418
            What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
            Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
            Boxed apps and games for the above systems
            Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Do you want to see a photo of the broken Intel heatsink parts? The only alternative is to puchase a new one--which will probably also break. As the ranks of available parts thin out, it's going to be harder to replace.

Comment

Intel heatsinks are kind of crappy. The only ones I liked at all were the ones for the high end C2Q had solid copper slugs and even those are barely capable of cooling the chips they were sold with.

Chuck you sold me a P4 board that had an interesting all copper heatsink with metal mounting I still have (board died) and am using on a different board.
                What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

The "low end" aluminum lga771 Intel heatsinks were beasts. They were big. I never used the very fastest chips my old dual processor board could run. But I found if you had enough air blowing on those heatsinks, seemingly they would cool anything.

Comment

these came in today, spotted two NOS copper ones on eBay for $12 ea

hs.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Unknown_K View Post
                      Intel heatsinks are kind of crappy. The only ones I liked at all were the ones for the high end C2Q had solid copper slugs and even those are barely capable of cooling the chips they were sold with.

Chuck you sold me a P4 board that had an interesting all copper heatsink with metal mounting I still have (board died) and am using on a different board.
                      Kind of regretted not keeping that one, but other than the one I'm using, I have no other 478 boards. I'm predominantly AMD nowadays. Which reminds me--the footprint of a socket AM2 heatsink is darned near identical to that of a Socket 478. The big difference is in the retention bracket--Intel uses 2 clips, AMD uses one. Yet I could find no mention of using an AM2/3 cooler on a 478 machine.

Anent plastics: Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the long-term survival of 3D-printed PLA?

Comment

Anent plastics: Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the long-term survival of 3D-printed PLA?
                        I have a pair of 6 year old PLA figured on my desk that don't seem to have degraded.
                        I printed some christmas light clips that I use each year, after 2 seasons (4 months total) in direct sunlight they began to degrade to the point of physical failure. I now only use them for 2 seasons then toss and re-print.

The biggest issue you would have around a heat sink design would be the material getting warm enough to deform, it really doesn't take much to make PLA soft.

There is a tempering process you can go through which helps physical strength and resistance to heat.

Comment

I don't trust the low-profile ones; I'm running a 3GHz Prescott and those buggers get hot fast.

That Molex one is interesting , but it clearly takes a different mounting bracket. I did grab the Ultra X Wind one--it's for 478 as well as Socket 754 and is a nice big unit. It may not fit a lot of motherboards, due to the 120 mm diameter--uses a 90 mm fan.

Comment

This is what I wound up with;

heatsink.jpg

About 6.5 inches (16.5 cm) tall; just barely fits a 4U rack case.

Comment

I still like mine better.

* sits in the corner and pouts *
                              It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

Yours may, in fact be better. Looking at the baseplate, this thing looks to be a Socket 423 heatsink. S'okay--I've got another big copper one on the way. Maybe someone with a 423 server wants to relieve me of this one...

Comment

Working...
                                X