• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OT or not so OT: do you use a calcutor w/regularity

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
Forget about cell phones. Is there a calculator you have around that gets turned on at least say twice a week, which isn't often at all clearly. I pulled out my old HP 49g (x2) recently, even bought cheapo batteries as I didn't feel like searching for rechargeables. It's utterly unusable imho. Not interested, though I still love the appearance. About 3 weeks ago I ordered a 39g+ iirc from aliexperss, similar in appearance (both blue), and although it may not have all the utility of a 50g (sold mine years ago), it has a similar processor. I actually ordered another calculator, the 39GII iirc, but mysteriously the order got cancelled.

It seems at this point calculators aren't going anywhere, despite people saying they don't use them anymore. The nice thing, at least over a cell phone app, is you get to press actual buttons. But even calculators come with touch screens these days (HP Prime, any TI have it yet?). I also have a Prime, but as I tend to be something of a brute it remains hidden and protected most of the time. Not something you necessarily want to use from day to day. But that's me.

There are times that I would be lost without my trusty HP16C. I've gone through a grand total of 3 sets of batteries since I purchased it back in the 1980s. I have replaced the LCD display after it developed the "bleeding black" disease. Fortunately the HP15C used the same display and is very common.

BTW, What's a "calcutor"?

Last edited:
I find the Windows calculators quite adequate for my needs and they're always at hand at the push of a hot key; the unit conversions are a nice bonus.

And then there's also Excel...

I used the generic 4 banger calculator on my phone all the time.

If I need something more substantial, I turn to...my phone. I have a 48G simulator that I use.

I find I can't use the regular 48/49/50g simply because there's no backlight, and I find the LCD hard to read. The form factor is nice, for sure, but the display is far below what the phone provides me.

I'm fairly good at mental arithmetic, and my life circumstances and hobbies are such that A. I rarely find myself needing to do math that I can't readily do in my head, and B. when I do need to, it's usually for some specific project/application where it'd be more useful to write a quick script to do the work for me. But I still keep a modest little TI scientific something-or-other around just in case.

Always thought it'd be fun to build a calculator for myself as a simple little project, but when I map it out in my head, it inevitably evolves from a calculator to a PDA to a laptop to the realization that it's not going to be simple or little after all.

If I'm at home in front of my main PC, I will usually use a Casio fx-201P. Unless I need to copy/paste entered numbers or results, in which case I use Windows Calculator.

Away from my main PC I use either Windows Calculator, or "Panacal" on my iPhone.

I use one for quick and dirty calculation of disk% used on servers. What exactly I use depends on my mood. Sometimes it's just calc in windows, sometimes it's the scientific calculator I used at school and sometimes it's the red LED calculator my mum gave me years ago.

Before that and the (really terrible) TI Programmer, there was the desktop SR-22. Far outside of my pocketbook resources; the department had one in the computer room. I remember it as being rather slow, even for a calculator.

I bought a HP 35s a few years ago to try out the RPN thing... I have it at work and use it multiple times a week typically.

At home I have a wide array of TI calculators. Normally go for the TI-35 or 36X. Trusty TI-83 for the history feature if I'm doing lots of calculations.

Back