• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Job hunting

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
I finally got an interview with the hospitl I have been pulling guard for as a contract serviceman. Seems I will get the job, all indicators point to this. I swear, El Paso has got to have the worst frekkin economy I have ever seen. I have been trying to get this type of job for over a year. Admissions clerk, day or nighttime. 9.00/hr may not seem like much(currently $6.50/hr) but I have learned to live leanly, so that will do a lot. Including free up some time so I can work on my computer projects that my wife wants me to throw away the parts for (!). I have doggedly refused, since my hours are really screwy and when I am not working I have things to do like SLEEP and then deal with household stuff.

But that era is over. Once I start working this job I will have time and funds to complete the long list of stuff that I really need to get done. All I am really worried baout is if the current employer will give me the funds for the vacation time that I have incurred without working a full year. We'll see about that tomorrow(payday).

This all keeps getting better and better. I did *not* get the second interview as I had hoped. So no new job. When I found out about it I figured, hey, I had a fair shot and life goes on. But then I went in to pick up my check, and my coworker tells me that my supervisor told both our boss that I "am not that great of a guard." Though I have not been written up or corrected in any big way. *Never* been written up in the eight months that I have been there. I have asked him several times how I was doing and if there are any problems, and he says no every time. That I am doing great.

I am not one to be kept down like this. Plus, that is illegal. Still mulling over what that sounds like, but it ain't good. Funny I have been there the longest and have never been written up. But I am not that great of a guard.

"NathanAllan" wrote:

> This all keeps getting better and better. I
> did *not* get the second interview as I
> had hoped. So no new job.

Oh well bad luck. I'm in a situtation where I've
got job interviews, forms to hand in & a car
that's playing up on me (due to lots of travelling
I guess). And now I've got 2 jobs for the asking
one of them I hear has this guy who likes to
trial run people, but with all the other problems
I've got, I may have to give it a miss. :-(

Cheers,
CP/M User.

{I swear, El Paso has got to have the worst frekkin economy I have ever seen.}

I always liked El Paso, but the economy always seemed kind of depressed. The last time I visited was in 1994.

I think about bitching about my job and the 60 hours weeks I seem to put in on a regular basis, but then I read a post on one forum or another that makes me appreciate my position. My boss pretty much lets me do what ever I want as long as the customer gets taken care of first, the datacenter is my territory and I have all the cool toys I want to play with - and she pays for them.

Nathan, Good Luck in your search and I hope you find something soon.

I confronted my boss and things seem to be okay now. But just for now. There is an opening for part time and floating PBX operator which for two days worth of work, pays about fifty bucks less than what I am doing now. I've applied in teh past before for full time, but not part. At that rate I am gonna go for it and make up the difference >gasp!< fixing people's old computers during the week. I used to run a small shop, called it Nate's Obsolete PC Fix-It. My slogan was "I do IT with old computers!" The only unhappy customer I had was once I had to wait almost a month for his modem to come in. That was the sellers fault, since I paid for faster shipping and he sent it FREIGHT. It's all good now.

Also if I get that PBX job I can a)go to school like I have wanted to but not live in a box while I do it, b) help my wife finally get her bed bath and beauty business back on track, c) fix our frekkin broke cars, d) fix our frekkin broke computers, and finally e) finish building the furniture and walls that I have neglected working in this job for low pay and much time. I jsut hope that I am not discriminated against caus eso far all they have hired for PBX is women. Chin up, right :wink:

If you want to rename your shop, how about: "Nathan's Old Computer Testing, Updating, Repairing, Nurturing And Lecturing" where you both take care and teach people how they should continue living a happy life with their machine?

Hmm.. nocturnal is someone or something happening during the night, which seems strikingly well fit computer users, at least those without a family and/or day job to take into consideration.

carlsson said:
If you want to rename your shop, how about: "Nathan's Old Computer Testing, Updating, Repairing, Nurturing And Lecturing" where you both take care and teach people how they should continue living a happy life with their machine?

My favorite computer tech/guru/mentor/teacher/fellow collector/whatever spends more time educating his potential customers (and friends) than he does working on thier machines. That's one thing that makes him so special. (He's also my best friend, and most of what I know about vintage computers I've learned from him).

Hmm.. nocturnal is someone or something happening during the night, which seems strikingly well fit computer users, at least those without a family and/or day job to take into consideration.

Oh, you mean people like us? No...wait...I'm not nocturnal...I'm bi-urnal, I never sleep.

--T

The peoples' personal problems finally paid off for them. I have been taken from that site, kicked off as security. This happened yesterday, and since then I have had time to get upset, get over it and think clearly.

Today was the most stress-less day I have had in a long time. No work, the money is holding from my last check, and I have room to breathe for the rest of this week since the next possible assignment doesn't start until sometime next week. I might not even take it since an opportunity has leaped in front of me as a delivery/advertising rep job has come along. Totally comission, the more you do the bigger your percentage. And it's only two days a week. I am also thinking of helping out my friend Joe doing woodworking and repair, and maybe doing computer contractor work. You know, fixing the computers that are "not worth fixing" for people in a cost effective manner.

So even though I lost a decent assignment, there are things coming my way. And upon reflection of the situation, it was really the manner in which they got rid of me rather than the act itself. And I am getting over that easy. Kind of insulting. But that's okay. Since I got my new rotary dremel-type tool, the world is my oyster :D

Update!
I am starting tomorrow for El Paso Towing, the main tow-truck place here in El Paso. Great benefits and the pay raise is coming soon. Unfortunately they start at minimum wage but when they saw my work experience they wanted to make me a dispatcher, which to them it's an executive position. So I might be able to actually stay in El Paso for a little while longer and not move to New Mexico as I had been planning (as a last ditch effort). If I get moved to dispatch then it's salary based, and the benefits are even better. Wanted to let you all know.

Nathan

For at least three weeks there will be time for me to do repairs on the side, it's training time and like any company they wanna be skimpy on hours. As a driver I would do okay.

As a dispatcher I would make manager in the first 6 months. That's the great thing about being ex-military, heh heh. You learn to lead. So I *won't* be losing the apartment after all. Also, I forgot to mention that I realise dthat I own stock from the hospital that I worked at in Tennessee! About $800 worth! That'll hook up the car that we need to get. We have a Cherokee that sucks gas and we simply can't afford it right now. Heck, we have a spare, heh heh.

That one network that I have been working on is still degrading and I have to go fix it. They have been advised to buy new systems but that isn't cost effective in anybody's opinion. So I am gonna upgrade them and make em work better. I think the slowest machine they have is 500mhz. I haven't looked at the machines a second time, but from what they tell me the viruses that they had tore up some system files and now they have to be repaired or replaced. I'll hook em up though.

What's the phrase Leia said in the recording on R2D2? "Obi-Wan, you're my only hope..."

Nathan

It's been a while since I posted! I don't have the net at home yet (public computer at the library) but that's okay. Makes researching harder. Anyway. They took me out of dispatch and apparently don't want me to work on anything electronic, they have "friends" to do all the work. Must be why everything keeps breaking, heh heh. I'v been driving the tow truck now, a scary concept for the average person. It's okay and I make a lot of contacts but it's still bust-butt work. And there is little payoff as far as money goes. The law here says that I can work 14 hours straight and because we make commission, there is no overtime pay. We drivers don't like to do that, since there is little incentive to work that long, when you get 25% of say, a $50 tow. It comes out about $12 for that rate. They don't admit it, but we get treated like slaves, so we call in sick a lot, walk off a lot and since they are short on drivers, they never send anyone home.

But I am already signed up for school coming up next semester here and when I go I basically just show up. I have about 6 months to register for the individual classes from last week, so I am good there. And the GI Bill is paying about $1000/month, and that is great! Anyway, things will be better then. Also wanted to say hi to all!

Nathan

So sorry to hear about the work Nathan, I'm guessing you're at school now which is good in a way. I've been busy doing some work at a local housing Estate maintaining the grounds around the houses & reserves around the lakes. It's a very good job & feel lucky that I came across some good people who don't push you around. I've been doing this since November last year, though unfortunately the work will die down soon on account that Winter is comming for us Aussies, but I understand that the work will do this. Along the way I've started a course myself looking at the environment, which I've very interested about & putting some of my voluntry skills into some sort of a career (some of the teachers are very impressed in terms of how far I've developed my knowledge over the last couple of years).

I still do some work at the local estate (just one day though - which helps out for the travel expense I have for going to school) - I have been picking up on days durning the school hols.

But yeah, I'm thinking this is the most work I've ever done while enjoying it, unfortunately it eats in to some of my other hobbies, but what can you do about it?

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Back