Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Run of the mill 3D printers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timo never told me how tall his figurine was.

Comment

Originally posted by tipc View Post
      So small models or figurines, down to 25mm tall will turn out convincingly? I'm more interested with accuracy then size. For some things the stated precision (~.002/.004") is insufficient. But you can't expect the world for 160$.
      I have several 3D printers (Flashforge, Creality 10S ProV2, etc..) as well as Resin (Qidi and Elegoo). Why do I have several? Because once you start, you keep upgrading to next next bigger/better model with nice to have features LOL!

I'm on the same bandwagon several others have suggested:

Resin for miniatures - better detail than FDM
      Be prepared for the potential mess of resin, curing, etc etc. ..
      Elegoo or Qidi for me - low price points

For FDM, I love my FlashForge for the dual print heads (I keep PLA on one and ABS on the other) - and am a raving fan of Creality. Love their printers and bang for the buck.
      Ender 3 is def best entry choice in my book - low price point nice quality
      Quality prints with the right setup but not as fine detailed as resin
      Be prepared for initial frustrations of bed leveling. This will make or break a quality print.
      Then you'll be playing with Kapton, hairspray, mirror blah blah blah to find the best surface for your prints (my goto setup for PLA is PEI on flex plate - rarely have I had a print get unstuck)

I would suggest watching some YouTube videos of people actually setting up and using their machines before you take the leap - I've seen folks get frustrated and give up and their machines never see the light of day again

-Alex
      Last edited by NoPizzaTonite; March 25, 2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Timo never told me how tall his figurine was.
        You did not ask. That one was 20cm tall, as it was a final reliability test for the printer.

There still should be a manual/guidebook. It needn't cover every complication that could arise. Just most of them.
        For basic stuff like how to use slicing software, how to level the hot-bed, what filament to use etc., there's plenty of material around.

But still, no one can tell you how to print object X on printer Y with filament Z. This is trial-and-error in the beginning and turns into experience over time.

Originally posted by g4ugm View Post
        I would go and search some 3D printing forums for info on your printer.....
        .... would you ask about vintage computers on a 3D printing forum...
        I think there's nothing wrong with that question here. While vice-versa it makes no sense (as you pointed out), many people use 3d-printers to create parts for vintage computers, cases for modern add-ons, missing or broken covers, and so on.
        Last edited by Timo W.; March 26, 2021, 12:04 AM.

Comment

There still should be a manual/guidebook. It needn't cover every complication that could arise. Just most of them.
          There are more or less an infinite number of complications that can happen, you'll just have to tackle the problems as they come. You'll not be alone in your problems, someone else will have almost certainly had the same issue as you. A google search will most likely give you your answer when you need it.

Comment

I think many vendors or 3D printers shy away from providing a manual with issues and solutions because it would put buyers off, especially if they the first to do this. A sort of reverse box-ticking exercise.
            Dave
            G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Comment

Apparently there's an opportunity here for an enterprising individual. A text on the subject is sorely needed.

Comment

No, the information is out there - a new user just has to learn.
                First: "3D printer" gives all the wrong ideas; people think of a "printer" as something you send a print job to, then you pick up the printed result - and you're done.

"3D printing" is a manufacturing process for 3D objects. This means that you have to take lots of other things into consideration. Example: your 3D model has to be designed in such a way that it is possible to manufacture it on whatever fabrication process you have available, for example fused deposit manufacturing (FDM) aka "glue gun" / melted plastic filament printing. One example of the things you must think of when designing a model for this process is that you can't really print layers in the air (for short distances you can, but that is another part of the discussion); each layer has to build on something, either (part of) the previous layer, or the build plate itself. which means that for horizontal parts "up in the air", you need to provide supports, and so on.

But talking about how involved the process is, doesn't help to sell more 3D printers, which is the main goal of those who sell 3D printers.
                Now, if you go to the website of any decent company who sells 3D printers, they have (in addition to the manual for the 3D printer itself): videos, user guides, and other material which explain how to use the printers for various things, to to maintain the printer, how to fix it when it breaks and so on. They might even have a forum with a good-sized and helpful community. An example of such a company (used because I'm familiar with it, and have spent some time on the material on that website) is prusa3d.com
                There are probably lots of others, but I'm not familiar with them.

Now, on the other hand, companies who try to sell their products for as low a price as possible, often have less documentation and material available. If you printer is a kit, you might get an assembly manual, a video showing the assembly process, a user manual, and a few videos showing the printer "in action". If you are lucky, the user manual might explain how to maintain the printer in addition to setting / up calibration. But when you get in trouble (failed electronics, clogged nozzle, filament types which doesn't want to print, etc) you need to find other sources than the company that sold you the printer.
                Torfinn

Comment

Apparently there's an opportunity here for an enterprising individual. A text on the subject is sorely needed.
                  I think the converse is true. There are too many books out there, just look on Amazon, there are thousands of titles, but are any any good?
                  There is so much information out there finding the right info for YOUR printer and YOUR problem is the problem.
                  Much better to find a 3-d printing forum...
                  Dave
                  G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Comment

Working...
                  X