• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC2700 DDR dimms

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
They come in 8 and 9 chip varieties. I purchased 512mb of PNY 8 chip stuff, brand new, no workee. Is it on account of the "missing" chip? Would simply adding a suitable chip transform this into working memory for my motherboard? There isn't likely a jumper or something on the mobo that would make this module compatible? Don't ask me where my manual is.

Ok, I had thought there were pads for an absent chip. I was wrong. Carry on.

But ... this item has pads for an absent chip. So my question stands:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HYMD264646...079d:g:JMUAAOSwF9Jf~jC1&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Last edited:
I believe the 9 chip versions are for ECC. Is the system you are using in a server/workstation class?

What do the mobo spec's call for? Some are tolerant of ECC and some are not. What is the the mobo?

I've purchased DDR2 from vendors who claimed theirs was for AMD motherboards only. I don't know what the reasoning was behind that. Moreover, I don't know if this has anything to do with PC2700 DRAM. I'll see what was plugged into my old Socket A board.

Ok I'm officially brain damaged. The 256mb module only has 8 chips. The way they were interspersed made me think it had more chips then the PNY module.

Anyway, I just tried it again in every possible configuration. It either doesn't see the 512mb stick or it won't boot. SOB! Can't run RHEL 3 w/o it. And what luck might I have just buying something else. Which is what I'm going to do. Try and try again.

Red Hat does boot up, seems operational. But documentation calls for 256mb, and this uses 32mb for shared memory.

In the modern era, apples and potatoes, AMD can be finicky w/the ram you choose.

I just looked in my hellbox. It's a ASUS A7N266-VM board with an Athlon XP-M kludged in (unlocked multipler).
Memory is Samsung PC3200U-30331E0 16 chip 1GB DDR.

Not a terrible board for its time--ran XP pretty well and has an SPDIF connector set. But limited to 32 bit software. I much preferred Socket 754 boards when they came out.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking.

The whole idea was so it will run 32 bit software. I have many other machines for that which came after. Remember this is a vintage forum. Comparing old crappola to newer machines is a senseless pursuit. Some people are attached to old crappola.

But cpu's rarely offer less _whatever_ from generation to generation. I tried installing various linux distros, old ones, exclusively 32 bit. One issue after another plagued me. In theory any 32 os will run on a 64 bit cpu. But ymmv. I originally started with a socket 775 p4, more or less equivalent to a socket 754 I have to believe. Can't say for sure what amenities socket 754 boards offer. But if there's only 1 pata channel it's a deal breaker. The issue is not or may not be strictly about trying to run on a 64 bit cpu, and perhaps closer to the barrier between the 32 and 64 transition older os's would have less issues. But for the amenities ...

It just made the most sense to run a 32 bit os in a 32 bit environment. Eventually, if I'm still interested, I could figure out how to run some of this stuff on newer h/w.

I ran 32-bit Linux and XP on a 754 board for a couple of years before I installed the 64 bit version of Linux. Oddly, the somewhat later Socket 939 AMD cpu is less advanced in terms of features. None of that family supports AMD-V, while the earlier 754 CPUs do. I find these differences interesting.

I've purchased DDR2 from vendors who claimed theirs was for AMD motherboards only. I don't know what the reasoning was behind that. Moreover, I don't know if this has anything to do with PC2700 DRAM. I'll see what was plugged into my old Socket A board.

"AMD Only" memory usually uses high density memory chips, something which Intel memory controllers don't support. An example would be a 1 GB memory stick, instead of having eight 128 MB chips, you can use four 256 MB memory chips.

Another type of high density memory is how the rows and columns inside the memory chips are structured. The memory chip could be using non-standard layouts that Intel doesn't support, while AMD does.

Historically AMD has been very lax about memory standards. Basically if it was some type of memory that fit in the memory slot, it would probably work. I remember many of my old Socket 462 boards where I could install ECC Registered memory and it worked fine, besides it being slower due to the buffer on the module.

I just looked in my hellbox. It's a ASUS A7N266-VM board with an Athlon XP-M kludged in (unlocked multipler).
Memory is Samsung PC3200U-30331E0 16 chip 1GB DDR.

Not a terrible board for its time--ran XP pretty well and has an SPDIF connector set. But limited to 32 bit software. I much preferred Socket 754 boards when they came out.

I ran 32-bit Linux and XP on a 754 board for a couple of years before I installed the 64 bit version of Linux. Oddly, the somewhat later Socket 939 AMD cpu is less advanced in terms of features. None of that family supports AMD-V, while the earlier 754 CPUs do. I find these differences interesting.

Just out of curiosity what were the distros you ran as 32 and 64 bit?

Ubuntu mostly, but I don't recall the versions--I could check my CD files to see what I've got.

I did discover that under 64 bit Ubuntu (same CPU and memory) an ASUS board would crash, but an Elite board ran fine. Would seem to be counter to expectations, but there you go.

Back