• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Good games for original Xbox

best thing you can do with an original xbox is turn it into an emulation machine. Install xbmc-emustation and get every console of your childhood available at your fingertips, all under 1 easy to use and navigate interface.

and then play grand theft auto 3. :)

Not a lot of Xbox fans here I guess
Maybe give people some more time to answer than 24h, especially when asking that question during Easter..?

Anyway, Halo, Halo 2, Panzer Dragoon ORTA. Or just go to mobygames.com and use the Games Browser.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I really enjoyed Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Sci-Fi, but 3rd-person shooter, although you do get to captain a ship. Cheezy 1980s-style sci-fi aesthetic, even down to the film grain effect and bad alien costumes. But the 3d graphics are kinda too uncanny valley.

The thing about the xbox is though, everything that was released on it is available on the PC, and generally better on the PC.

One game that caught my eye, many years ago, I think, was called Destroy all Monsters. Or was that the game available on the ps2 and not the Xbox. Or vice versa. Anyway I'd be surprised to see 1 or the other (or especially both) available for PC's (there was a Gojira type game available for each).

Mass Effect sounds interesting. I think I'll look for the PC versions n
I don't even have a controller for the 2 units I picked up last year. Only cabling and hardware to interface a keyboard or mouse (or USB drive). I never intended them as gaming consoles.

and panzer anything sounds like conventional warfare.
Maybe try it instead of pre-judging? It's one of the finest games on the original Xbox and has nothing to do with "conventional warfare".

And what's the point in asking for suggestions and then react like this anyway? Again, try it or at least look it up!

As for space combat, there are quite a few Star Wars games, also stuff like Gun Metal.

Maybe you should refrain from answering anything if you're so easily offended. Or perturbed or whatever. And why would I just obtain a game if it doesn't sound like what I'm looking for? A panzer seems to denote a tank type of warfare. Ok, looked it up, it's not, but even less interesting, as it's fantasy based. Not my bag of tea.

Steel Battalion is a good game for blowing things up, if you can afford it.

Can anybody tell what the advantage of a XBox game is over a good gaming PC?

Basically the same one-and-only advantage that you get with any gaming console, IE, the game designers get to optimize for one known universal hardware configuration so you can be *reasonably* sure that your copy of the game will run as well for you as it does for anybody else.

My favorite game for the original Xbox was "Whiplash". It wasn't a *good* game, it was actually a pretty terrible one, but it was funny right up until you ended up trapped in a clipping error or whatever. Probably not most peoples' cup of tea, though.

It seems that every so often these XBox folks like to change the format and older games will no work on the newer sets or vice-versa. You don't really have that problem with the PC to the same extent. However, if you don't want to fool with PC I suppose the younger ones find the XBox thing fairly entertaining.

There were a handful of revisions intended to keep the h/w hackers at Bay. Short of modding it with a new chip or overwriting the firmware, vulnerabilities would arise, a bug in a game that would allow some sort of exploit. Allegedly M$ didn't lose their mind when certain parties dropped the dime on their encryption methods. In fact one guy received accolades for his ingenuity. It was only a matter of time I suppose they figured. But that doesn't at all mean they liked it.

The nice things about consoles are that the games are programmed for the hardware, there are no real setup issues, and on older consoles the games just work (no need for internet updates). Plus you can buy games CHEAP except for some rarities.

The downside of XBOX games is XBOXlive for the original XBOX is dead so don't expect to play online games with other people on the net.

MS wasn't too pissed about the console getting hacked because they still had control over xboxlive and who got the play. Since it was their first console anything that got people to use it would help down the road when the next console comes out.

Not sure if this affects the original XBOX but some XBOX360 games had nasty copy protection on the PC versions ans those authentification servers are down now so you either have to rebuy the game on steam/GOG or play the console version.

Maybe you should refrain from answering anything if you're so easily offended.
I'm not offended at all; you just have a weird way of communicating. Again, why ask for suggestions if you reject them without even looking the games up people suggest to you - just because the title sounds like ... to you?

But don't worry, this is the last time I tried to help you.

Last edited:
Back