• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any chance that I can get this VCR working again?

TH2002

Experienced Member
So my VCR decided to quit working on me. Perfect timing, too, as I JUST got 3 new VHS tapes in the mail today.

When I put a tape in and it begins playing, all I get is a fuzzy image for about 5 seconds, blue screen, then the VCR shuts off.

Any advice other than "get a new VCR"?

How is your skill for repairing (or replacing) small mechanical parts, like plastic gears and stuff?
Or electronics?
Do you have a service manual for the VCR in question?

How is your skill for repairing (or replacing) small mechanical parts, like plastic gears and stuff?
Or electronics?
Do you have a service manual for the VCR in question?

Sanyo DVW-7100A, do note that this model is distinct from the DVW-7100 which has the DVD player on the left side. I found a PDF of the Users' Manual though no Service Manual as far as I can tell (unless they are the same).
I've repaired plenty of computers from modern and vintage laptops to my C64, calculators and a LaserDisc player though repairing a VCR would probably be new territory for me.

When I put a tape in and it begins playing, all I get is a fuzzy image for about 5 seconds, blue screen, then the VCR shuts off.
I think that shutting down is pretty much a common way for VCRs to deal with situations when it actually detects that the tape is not feeding through right.

So you probably just have some gunk that needs to be cleaned somewhere or something that needs to be re-lubricated. But the hard part is finding out exactly where that is.

I had a similar problem with mine that was due to a broken spring that would prevent the tape from feeding due to one of the plastic levers to route the tape proper so it would just shut down. I found a small spring to replace it with from some other electronics and that did the trick, it took a lot of trial and error to see what parts moved or should move freely and to notice the spring was missing to begin with.

With that said, given how inexpensive VCRs currently are, it might not be a bad time to pick up an extra one since typically I see them go for around the $15 range. Price will only increase in 5-10 years as they continue to be discarded and inevitably become considered retro/rare vintage video gear.

I had a similar problem with mine that was due to a broken spring that would prevent the tape from feeding due to one of the plastic levers to route the tape proper so it would just shut down. I found a small spring to replace it with from some other electronics and that did the trick, it took a lot of trial and error to see what parts moved or should move freely and to notice the spring was missing to begin with.

With that said, given how inexpensive VCRs currently are, it might not be a bad time to pick up an extra one since typically I see them go for around the $15 range. Price will only increase in 5-10 years as they continue to be discarded and inevitably become considered retro/rare vintage video gear.

I know someone that has plenty of extra VCRs and he offered to give me one, I'll gladly accept his offer though I'd like to get my current one working again for the reasons you specified. Hopefully will be an easy fix, like some gunk that needs to be cleaned off as SomeGuy suggested.

I know someone that has plenty of extra VCRs and he offered to give me one, I'll gladly accept his offer though I'd like to get my current one working again for the reasons you specified. Hopefully will be an easy fix, like some gunk that needs to be cleaned off as SomeGuy suggested.

Cool, look forward to you posting back hopefully having found a resolution in fixing it someday! :D

Taking the top cover off, and then loading (or, try to load) a tape will often give better insight in the location of any mechanical problems.

Back