Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Use of the word "Rare"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of the word "Rare"

I think we need to push the word rare even further. Lets see how far we can take it! Its being thrown around on pretty much everything on eBay. When Covid hit noone seemed to use it for Toilet Paper ironically. Anyway according to this guy my motorcycle (same model, color, and year as one in video), is VERY VERY RARE. Which I guess makes it worth more than an apple I right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6OAutIwIWo

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
    Anyway according to this guy my motorcycle (same model, color, and year as one in video), is VERY VERY RARE. Which I guess makes it worth more than an apple I right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6OAutIwIWo
    Well apparently there are at least two of these around, right?

Does yours run?

Comment

Use of the word Rare is vastly overused on eBay. I guess the seller feels this will make the item sell faster?
      Last edited by tradde; September 29, 2021, 04:38 PM.
      PDP-8 and PDP-11 enthusiast. But enjoy most older PC stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by whartung View Post

Well apparently there are at least two of these around, right?

Does yours run?
        My father bought it new in 77. He was an amputee that liked proving he cuold still do everything (Lost his Arm). He owned a few import bikes and drove stick shift. He stopped using it in 1981. It remained garaged until his death and I took it at that point. I had the same dealership he bought it from get it running.

Yes it runs. I havent taken it out in over year. I bought some new pipes for it I need to put on. The problem is here In CT I cant find anyone willing to touch anything that is not a Harley.. Seriously. Been looking for years. This is a touchy bike that needs maintenace and the inline 4 carbs need to be synchronized....

But yeah, she runs I take her out.. very low miles. When I polish her up looks just like that video. They are not common sure.. But VERY VERY RARE? Hell pay me now I need the money. I was gonna sell it when it hit 50 years old.. but for a big enough pay day Id do it now{ I dont like riding anymore with how drivers are always looking at thier phones and not at the road.. I have had too many near misses.. luck runs out]

Comment

Which I guess makes it worth more than an apple I right?
          Only if you can prove Steve Jobs sat on it at least once. If the seat smells like pineapple pizza and LSD you're definitely sitting on a gold mine.
          My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

I think part of the problem is that sensationalistic garbage terms like that actually work on other kinds of sites. So, they are so mind-warped all they know how to do is spew clickbait style titles.

If you want people to find your item on eBay, describe it with actual WORDS. Nobody (hopefully) ever just types "rare!" in to a search box. What words would someone actually search for? What words are written on the item? Use those.

People who put crap like "rare" "l@@k!", or "scrap gold steve jobs" in their item descriptions are just showing the world how dumb they are.

Comment

Yep. There's a guy who lists S-100 items on ePay. Every last one of them is described as "rare". Have to laugh at some of them. "Rare", when I've got a half dozen of them in my closet. What a bozo!

Roger

Comment

My father bought it new in 77. He was an amputee that liked proving he cuold still do everything (Lost his Arm). He owned a few import bikes and drove stick shift. He stopped using it in 1981. It remained garaged until his death and I took it at that point. I had the same dealership he bought it from get it running.
                Fellow on the forum I follow has one arm. He still races.

Yes it runs. I havent taken it out in over year. I bought some new pipes for it I need to put on. The problem is here In CT I cant find anyone willing to touch anything that is not a Harley.. Seriously. Been looking for years. This is a touchy bike that needs maintenace and the inline 4 carbs need to be synchronized....
                No handy Honda dealers? Generic Japanese bike, interesting it's so hard to service. Now, the transmission is likely a black art, since that's what makes it rare. But carb syncing? That's just shade tree stuff.

But yeah, she runs I take her out.. very low miles. When I polish her up looks just like that video. They are not common sure.. But VERY VERY RARE? Hell pay me now I need the money. I was gonna sell it when it hit 50 years old.. but for a big enough pay day Id do it now{ I dont like riding anymore with how drivers are always looking at thier phones and not at the road.. I have had too many near misses.. luck runs out]
                It's a Hondamatic, it would not surprise me that it would be considered rare. Like the rotary engined Suzuki. Plus being 50(ish) years old.

Yea, rare and "in demand" are two different things.

When you post it up, put a link to the VERY VERY RARE video as "provenance" .

Comment

“Rare” is definitely a grossly overused word. I have lots of stuff in my collection, and there is a very small number of things I consider to be “rare.”

For example, my prototype Compaq SLT 386s/20, that is a truly rare machine, but is my complete IBM XT with the matching keyboard and 5153 monitor rare? Hell no, they made tons of them. It’s a desirable setup, but far from rare.

And yes, people do need to understand the difference in “rare” and “desirable.” Two completely different things. There are rare things that aren’t worth anything and common stuff that’s worth a lot, and it can obviously be the other way around as well, but “rare” doesn’t automatically mean “valuable,” and “valuable” doesn’t automatically mean “rare.”
                  Compaq - It simply works better

Comment

Originally posted by whartung View Post
                    No handy Honda dealers? Generic Japanese bike, interesting it's so hard to service
                    generic japanese bike!? take that back CB750's are excellent!

Comment

generic japanese bike!? take that back CB750's are excellent!
                      Right there with the Kawasaki KZ1000.

Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Comment

Originally posted by norwestrzh View Post
                        Yep. There's a guy who lists S-100 items on ePay. Every last one of them is described as "rare". Have to laugh at some of them. "Rare", when I've got a half dozen of them in my closet. What a bozo!

Roger
                        At least S-100 stuff is uncommon enough to be somewhat forgivable.

It is stuff like this that really annoys me:

"UNiSYS Windows for Workgroups 3.5" Floppy Disc Set Of 8 Version 3.11 1994 Rare"
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/324784413683
                        Yea, like this is the last copy of Windows for Workgroups on the planet, and there are thousands of rabid Unisys collectors out there.

"Microsoft Word for Windows 95 on Nine (9) Vintage 3.5" Diskettes - RARE"
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/255116714638
                        Yea, absolute unique one of a kind because it has been installed and serialized.

"Rare Windows Magazine 8 Issues 1998-1999 + Microsoft Mag Ships Worldwide"
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/194403545128
                        Cuz, ya know, like, what's a boooook? (Wait, is toilet paper getting "rare" again?)

"Vintage Microsoft Word For Windows Version 1 on 5 1/4 Floppy Disks ULTRA RARE"
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/274963887619
                        Vintagey and ULTTRAAA RAAARE! From Australia? Perhaps these are some of those disks that spin the other direction. :P

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                          At least S-100 stuff is uncommon enough to be somewhat forgivable.

It is stuff like this that really annoys me:

"UNiSYS Windows for Workgroups 3.5" Floppy Disc Set Of 8 Version 3.11 1994 Rare"
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/324784413683
                          Yea, like this is the last copy of Windows for Workgroups on the planet, and there are thousands of rabid Unisys collectors out there.

"Microsoft Word for Windows 95 on Nine (9) Vintage 3.5" Diskettes - RARE"
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/255116714638
                          Yea, absolute unique one of a kind because it has been installed and serialized.

"Rare Windows Magazine 8 Issues 1998-1999 + Microsoft Mag Ships Worldwide"
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/194403545128
                          Cuz, ya know, like, what's a boooook? (Wait, is toilet paper getting "rare" again?)

"Vintage Microsoft Word For Windows Version 1 on 5 1/4 Floppy Disks ULTRA RARE"
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/274963887619
                          Vintagey and ULTTRAAA RAAARE! From Australia? Perhaps these are some of those disks that spin the other direction. :P
                          I can tolerate 'rare' better than 'literally'. This is really bad: "I literally think that's rare".
                          Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Comment

I cant tolerate men in thier 40's or older sending me text messages or emails with "lol" in them. Check that, anyone above the age of 30... Has everyone become a stupid teenage girl when it comes to language?
                            Last edited by VERAULT; October 1, 2021, 04:53 AM.

Comment

I'd like to go back to <G> from the BBS days, but I doubt anyone would understand me, unless they are also 40 and up.

Comment

Working...
                              X