• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

American Engrish

KC9UDX

Space Commander
I shan't be one of these kids unholstering their phones to take pictures in public places, else I could have gotten a few good ones yesterday.

One was a sign advertising "More Downroad" and the other, instructions from Honeywell requiring a 3/17" drill.

Here's a sign at a used car lot.

attachment.php

And here'e the same sign... from the other side.

attachment.php

Here's some of the State's beautiful work. The sign on the left is approaching the intersection from the south, the the other from the north.

attachment.php

P2050897.jpgP2050896.jpgProject2.jpg

I'm unable to see the discrepancy in the signs. If you're coming from the south, Runnemede is to the left, or west I guess. If you're coming from the north it's to your right then to your right, same direction. Am I right about it?

I thought Mt. Ephraim was in Pennsylvania? Maybe every state has one. Why do you specify south Jersey? Is there still a conflict between the north and south factions? I know a lady that calls the state New Jerky lol.

We have a sign at work that says "PEDERSTRIAN CROSSING".

I wonder what is the point of an approval of it's gauranteed?

Poor Ephraim, they could have at least made it say "MIARHPE TM" and "EDEMENNUR".

Our ship went to Jamacia once, my buddy snapped a picture that showed what looked like 1 sign but really two stacked up. Top sign "Sleeping Police Ahead" Bottom sign "Quiet <br /> Hospital Zone" Careful camera work got a picture that left off the hospital zone part. I had never heard speed bumps called sleeping police, apparently it's a pretty common term in England.

I had never heard speed bumps called sleeping police, apparently it's a pretty common term in England.

Another expression which puzzled me is that in Canada, an unmarked police car is referred to as a "ghost car".

And then there's this emergency battery-powered "open" sign... :confused:

....I had never heard speed bumps called sleeping police, apparently it's a pretty common term in England.
Yes we have lots of them around the estate where i live, They are a pain in the arse, But they do the job, They keep the boy racer's away, It was quite funny when they were first installed, I often saw some idiot driving too fast in their noisy stupid looking car with lowered suspension, It was even noisier when they got their exhaust ripped off going over the bumps. :)

Not far from where I live there was a sign that said left lane closed fallowed by a sign that said right lane merge left. It was up there for about 4 months before it was taken down.

Last edited:
Not far form where I live there was a sign that said left lane closed fallowed by a sign that said right lane merge left. It was up their for about 4 months before it was taken down.
There's three examples (in one short sentence) of this thread's topic. :) :) :)

Thats IOS's auto correct for you. It's supposed to learn your typing habits and work better as a result. But when added to vision problems, fat fingers and border line dyslexia it doesn't work all the time.

I hate typing on a phone so many spelling mistakes. Then again I suck at typing on a real keyboard anyway.

I shan't be one of these kids unholstering their phones to take pictures in public places, else I could have gotten a few good ones yesterday.

One was a sign advertising "More Downroad" and the other, instructions from Honeywell requiring a 3/17" drill.

Or, more precisely, a 0.1764705882352941-inch drill bit. Spell-check will only take you so far.

-CH-

Another expression which puzzled me is that in Canada, an unmarked police car is referred to as a "ghost car".

Not that it adds much to the thread, but a ghost car is a very specific type of marked police car, with low visibility decals (usually low contrast vs the paint colour). Example here.

UNIX System V ... Golf club??

UNIX System V ... Golf club??

Found this at St. Vincent de Paul thrift shop:
IMAG0135.jpg

It's a junior size (very small) 9 iron.

In Calif., we call police cars, that are hard to notice, "stealth" cars. The CHP uses all while or silver. As required, they have marked white doors as well as on front and rear. The lights are inside of the car.
Dwight

We simply call them unmarked cars. And there's no way to identify them as police vehicles unless you're close enough to see through the window tint. That ordinary-looking Hellcat or Suburban tailgating you could well be one.

Back