• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anybody else live back in time??

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerdude92

Veteran Member
I live in the mid 2000's every day with no trouble. My computer is beige but with modern hardware inside running modern Linux, I use a CRT for my PC and television, I skipped every console newer than the 2002 XBOX and Gamecube, I don't have a cell phone, but a landline only. I don't use social media. I just use the internet for email, forums, browsing, shopping, and youtube. As a result I don't use up many gigabytes. I haven't changed my fashion either. I still dress the same, same haircut too, even though it looks like it's from the 70's. Medium, curly and blonde with a mustache and side burns. If that isn't scary enough, i'm only 26 years old and speak like they did in old movies from the 50's or 60's. I'm delightfully corny and loving it!!

you know I'm sure we will see more of this. Modern society is awful and severely flawed. I think the smarter of the young people can feel it too.
I'm with you on most of your points, I am really thinking about getting rid of my cell phone. (which I use to make calls).
I don't use the internet for Facebook or any of that crap, I use it for the same things I did in the dial-up era, only difference is now I stream video.
I don't run modern OS's and I don't update anything other than malware/virus definitions (and all my sh*t works fine)

You can be stuck in the 2000's, Im stuck in the early 90's... after which point music and culture died.

Game consoles? SNES was as far as I went, I dont care for the 3d FPS perspective on EVERY game title. Warcraft orcs and humans is still fun to me.

Do you ever get that feeling, I'm not sure what to call it, sort of a momentary feeling of shame or guilt just because you aren't doing things the exactly the same way as everyone else even though you know you are in the right? I hate it when that happens.

Just the other day, of all places, I was at the public library and the librarian was pointing me to a schedule they had posted on the wall. I commented that information was not on their web site, and he was like "just take a picture of it with your cell phone". Cell phone? Why would I want to spend thousands of dollars buying, owning, maintaining, and constantly replacing a smell phone just to take some picture? He said it almost like every last person on the planet had one, and a cell phone was a requirement for living. So instead I asked if there was a scrap of paper and a pencil, and he seemed surprised in the way that gave me the feeling like "thats an oooooold way of doing things. Nobody does it that way any more.".

And on another forum I was talking about how I wish I could find a new no-nonsence beige/white case. I couldn't believe the idiotic responses. They all had their heads wrapped around the idea that all beige computer cases MUST turn ugly yellow after a few years. And a beige computer case is somehow REQUIRED to have sharp metal edges. And even if it didn't beige is oooooold. And beige is uuugly, even though much of their furniture is probably beige. W T F ?!?!?! Consumertard corporate brainwashing at its best.

Last year I had a lengthy post about a particular "smart" thermostat I didn't want but the AC installers kept trying to shove down my throat and the AC unit almost requires. Ug.

I even bought a spare VCR at the thrift store the other day because I like the idea of being able to record stuff off of OTA TV without having to worry abut DRM or building some custom complex home made digital media box that will do that. (Not that there has been anything worth recording in a long time). I'm so sorry I don't want to be raped up the butt like how everyone else loves so much these days.

As far as cloths, I don't really exist in any particular time period. Although I'm getting fed up with how less expensive shorts/t-shirts these days all seem to be made from some really thin lightweight plastic-feeling material. When I wear shorts I want to feel like I am actually WEARING something. The only other choice are "cargo pants" or whatever they call them that require a belt.

I could go on and on.

There were no game consoles after the Atari 2600 :p

Someguy, I like that bit about asking for a scrap of paper.

This was before I met my wife and right when I got out of the military, but I remember it so perfectly as it changed me as a person. I was just giving some free advice to this cute blonde in her late 20's. I Wasn't really hitting on her, just helping her decide on some tech stuff. anyway when we were all done with the conversation she asked me If I was on Facebook. I gave her the usual, "God no! Why would I be?" answer I give most people. The look on her face was AMAZING. Like I said something incredibly racist out of context... Her face lost all expression and she turned around and walked away with no answer at all.

So whats that tell us.... per your line "He said it almost like every last person on the planet had one, and a cell phone was a requirement for living." Is everyone has a phone, but noone uses it as such. Couldn't she just ask for my number? Or email or something? Am I the only person who likes to email? Text messages are horrible.

An about clothing, I dont wear name brands.. I'm not a billboard. So I just wear mostly plain colors and non assuming stuff. Fashion? Im like a modern day greaser with white tee shirts, jeans and boots. I cant stand the way people dress today. I havent changed much as what I like since high school.. Why bother? Who is shallow enough to care to impress people with trendy name brand clothes? I have tons of other things Id rather spend money on.

Just the other day, of all places, I was at the public library and the librarian was pointing me to a schedule they had posted on the wall. I commented that information was not on their web site, and he was like "just take a picture of it with your cell phone". Cell phone? Why would I want to spend thousands of dollars buying, owning, maintaining, and constantly replacing a smell phone just to take some picture?
My cell phone was FREE and it costs less than $7.00 per month to make/receive calls.

A tablet will take pics like a cell phone and do nearly everything else (except make calls [and it can do that too via WiFi]) as well and there's no monthly fee.

A tablet will take pics like a cell phone and do nearly everything else .....

Including making its user look like an idiot.....

Ever been to an aquarium or Zoo and see someone whip out a full size "Tablet" to take pictures.. I have to fight myself back from slapping it out of thier hands... Meanwhile the guy behind them grimaces because his field of view is gone.

Full size?

My 7" tablet looks a lot like a phone. :)

I was gonna say some of the bigger phones look like a board,

Tablets start at 6.5”, but yeah there is that one guy with the 17” pro wandering around that does look stupid

My cell phone was FREE and it costs less than $7.00 per month to make/receive calls.
And you know darn well if all cell phones were like that then we wouldn't have people literally shooting each other over cell phones every couple of days. (According to the news there was at least one here today already). I've had my car broken in to by some piece of dirt looking for cell phones. A while back there was some news/advertising story about someone getting "scammed" buying some second hand new in box latest and greatest Apple(R) iPhone(TM) - they knew it was fake and made a huge stink about it because it didn't have that retarded Apple voice assistant Siri crap or some such on it.

Even 7 dollars a month, over lets say ten years, still adds up for something I still don't need.

As they say, the first one is always free...

Even 7 dollars a month, over lets say ten years, still adds up for something I still don't need.
Of course you don't... A landline is a much better bargain at $35 or more per month.

Plus, it's got the advantage that you don't have to worry about losing it.

Times change. Most of the people I went to college with did not have a home computer at the time and didn't need one which I found kind of odd. Then in the late 1990's everybody had a home computer for games and AOL. I purchased a cell phone in the 1990's because I drove an hour to work every day on the highway and if I broke down I was pretty much screwed without a phone (never did break down but still). These days everybody needs a cell phone (unless they never leave the house, don't have a job, and have no friends or relatives). I can't complain about people buying $800 iPhones today when I paid $1100 for a CD burner back in the day. We all have our vices.

As far as clothes go I think people pick up a style in highschool and college and just keep it for a long time. You might have to wear something different for work, but outside of that you tend to keep the old style. People don't like change.

I don't use facebook. I do have an account with like 6 friends because of 1 person who only used it to keep in touch with people. Even when I don't use it I have to turn off everything or else I get a million emails from facebook. Can't image the work involved keeping up with all the notifications if I actually did use it.

And you know darn well if all cell phones were like that then we wouldn't have people literally shooting each other over cell phones every couple of days. (According to the news there was at least one here today already). I've had my car broken in to by some piece of dirt looking for cell phones. A while back there was some news/advertising story about someone getting "scammed" buying some second hand new in box latest and greatest Apple(R) iPhone(TM) - they knew it was fake and made a huge stink about it because it didn't have that retarded Apple voice assistant Siri crap or some such on it.

As they say, the first one is always free...

I had some degenerate walk into my office while I was talking to a coworker in our work room. For like 30 seconds. Walked in, swiped my brand new galaxy S5 ($500 new, paid with cash) off my desk and walk out. Found out the guy stole 14 other phones that day. Cameras? Security you ask? Apparently cameras are for show since "they werent working" and security could care less. Way to earn your paychecks schmucks. yeah degenerates kill each other over used sneakers too, just because a celebrity who retired from the sport a million years ago endorsed them.

These days everybody needs a cell phone (unless they never leave the house, don't have a job, and have no friends or relatives).

NOBODY NEEDS A CELL PHONE!

Thats the same bullsh*t argument I hear parents make when they give thier 11 year old a smartphone.... you people are insane.

I'll say this: the reason I have a cell phone rather than a land line is because they make road emergencies a whole lot more manageable (and/or survivable, depending on what kind of climate/conditions you're in.) Other than that, I'd never have bothered.

Don't forget to download our free news app/adware!

Don't forget to download our free news app/adware!

Sorry, but I need one to keep in contact with others that I know here on planet earth.
Instantly and every second of the day? Really?

This is another one of those sorts of things people sort of shame you in to thinking you must do. People these day want to micromanage eveyone around them. Everything must be INSTANT! AT ALL TIMES!

They actually had to pass a "hands free" driving law here because too many people felt they HAD to take or make calls while driving, causing all kinds of accidents and fatalities. Of course, the only reason the corporations allowed it to pass was because everyone had to run out and buy all new hands free phone stuff.

For people who are always on the go and out and about, fine. I'll be at my desk with a normal desk phone that doesn't make me sound like a robot trying to rape your ear. And if I'm out driving, well leave me a message or send me an e-mail. I'll get back to you whenever. :p.

A mostly true story (we didn't order it yet).

Yesterday, a gentleman asked me for a pencil sharpener (which I didn't have with me this time). So I decided to bust on him a bit and handed him my mechanical pencil from 1983. He liked it so much we went up online and found him one, then ordered it. He should have it today. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back