• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Nerds

I've been happy with 10 since it first came out. 8.0, on the other hand, was barely usable (multiple people had asked me 'how do you turn off the computer now'..).

I've been happy with 10 since it first came out. 8.0, on the other hand, was barely usable (multiple people had asked me 'how do you turn off the computer now'..).

The power button works (causing Windows to do an orderly shutdown).

The power button works (causing Windows to do an orderly shutdown).

Not that it even matters anymore, but it was a laptop where, by default, the power button puts it into suspend (back then anyway - now newer laptops with windows 10 tend to obey the power hold down as shut down). But, either way, sometimes you want to choose whether you shutdown, suspend or restart, and in 8.0 they hid that a few levels deep. They fixed it in 8.1.

Yep - and the larger point, as with 90% of all complaints about Win8/10, is that there was no conceivable reason to change it in the first place.

Windows 8 had one of the best quotes I've ever read in a review associated with it, and perfectly summed up how I felt about it. I can't find the original review, but here's some paraphrasing: "Let's assume you are an expert in Mac OS X, and fully understand its interface. Let's also assume you are also an expert in Windows 7, and fully understand 7's interface. Despite being an expert in the leading current interfaces of the day, you will have NO IDEA how to get anything done in Windows 8."

Windows 8 had one of the best quotes I've ever read in a review associated with it, and perfectly summed up how I felt about it. I can't find the original review, but here's some paraphrasing: "Let's assume you are an expert in Mac OS X, and fully understand its interface. Let's also assume you are also an expert in Windows 7, and fully understand 7's interface. Despite being an expert in the leading current interfaces of the day, you will have NO IDEA how to get anything done in Windows 8."

Yeah, that charms menu in windows 8 was horrible and half the stuff went there while the other half was still on the start menu side. To be fair, i'm not sure i know where anything is anymore even in windows 10 because I just hit the windows key and type what i want to do. This actually caused me issues the other day since I was building a win 95 machine and needed to get to the device manager which took me forever to find again since in 95 it was in a different place that it was in more recent versions and even with that, it's been forever since i've maneuvered the actual start menu folders to do anything.

But that's an improvement. That's not a fault of Windows 10, it's a fault of Windows 95 not having that feature. That's a GOOD feature. It's way, way faster to type what you want to launch than to go hunting for it.

Sure. The problem is the part where it's actually harder to find things without the search bar than it was in Windows 95. Like the way they moved like a quarter of the system settings into the Settings application, but not the rest, which you still need the Control Panel to access, but they removed the Control Panel from its prominent place in the Start menu (and, in 10, even from its place in the right-click-on-the-Start-menu menu that it never tells you about) and hid it in a subfolder in the applications list because they want you to use the Settings application that doesn't have the majority of the functionality that the Control Panel does instead. That is...not great.

But that's an improvement. That's not a fault of Windows 10, it's a fault of Windows 95 not having that feature. That's a GOOD feature. It's way, way faster to type what you want to launch than to go hunting for it.

I actually wasn't complaining about the search feature, I prefer it to the menu system.

But john does make a good point, that without the search, it's much harder to find your way around... I'm not even sure if you can get anywhere without it, which is fine if you know what you're looking for already (which i do since i've used windows forever), but if you don't.. that might be a problem. :)

Just for the record on this whole thing, as I stated from the start, I actually prefer windows 10 to every other version of windows. For instance, windows 10 is the first version of windows that actually worked properly with a laptop and dual screens/docking. But, as well, I hated windows 8.0 more than every other version of windows.. (I never used ME even though I had a copy, and I was okay with Vista)

Last edited:
How does Windows 10's search-as-you-type functionality really improve on the one in Windows 7?

Like you guys I find the text search much easier and faster than crawling through the menus, so I use it constantly in both systems (7 at home, 10 at work), and I can't really think of anything that makes it noticeably better or more useful in 10. *shrugs*

How does Windows 10's search-as-you-type functionality really improve on the one in Windows 7?

Like you guys I find the text search much easier and faster than crawling through the menus, so I use it constantly in both systems (7 at home, 10 at work), and I can't really think of anything that makes it noticeably better or more useful in 10. *shrugs*

I think some of the complaints was that with windows 10 you rely on the search more than you did with windows 7.

It's identical, actually. The comparison, I thought, was to Windows 8 and earlier.

Basically it's the same. Although, windows 10 search expands on the search functionality in Windows 7. Windows 7 would only search apps and files/folders where-as windows 10 search will do all that (and i've found it to do it better, meaning more ways to find the same application or specific areas in settings) along with including internet/store searching (for better or worse).

Windows 10 is pretty much the best features of Windows 7 and Windows 8 combined (windows 8 removed a bunch of functionality that came back in windows 8.1 and later 10), with a much cleaner UI and more modern functionality. Windows 8 had the problem that microsoft thought we all wanted a tablet UI on our desktop and removed much of the desktop UI.

Last edited:
I don't know about 10 having a cleaner UI; there's that schizophrenic "two of everything" syndrome where most of the internal dialogs, applets, etc. have both "old-style" and "new-style" versions, which also never seem to be consistent in which options are available and how they're organized. (And when I use the search to find them, there's no telling in which one I'd end up without memorizing the specific differences in icon styles or wording, or whatever.)

If they got rid of that all that jarring inconsistency then UI-wise I'd be a happy camper.

Back