• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CNN Scoops the World!!!

Yea, wow. Something "old" can still actually work. Who would have ever thought? Totally unimaginable!

He was quoted as saying, "It's probably the oldest working Apple ever! I'm gonna put this on eBay as 'super-rare' and ask a jillion dollars for it!"

-CH-

He was quoted as saying, "It's probably the oldest working Apple ever! I'm gonna put this on eBay as 'super-rare' and ask a jillion dollars for it!"

-CH-

Awesome! We definitely need more of these fools cluttering up eBay!

*said with heavy sarcasm*

So, the nostalgia that the professor feels was nice to see, it's really the same way most of us feel, and if you're not in the retro community you might not know that there are groups out there that know all about this stuff and have been into it for years. I'm not going to fault the professor, I like to see when people rediscover their childhood computers and share them with their children, family and friends.

That said, like everyone else here, the fact that this made it to CNN as something amazing and rare is crazy. The humor and annoyance really is pointed to CNN as further proof that there is no such thing as researched news articles anymore. In the old days, they would have used that as a catalyst into an article on the retro computing hobby, not the sole article itself.

So, the nostalgia that the professor feels was nice to see, it's really the same way most of us feel, and if you're not in the retro community you might not know that there are groups out there that know all about this stuff and have been into it for years. I'm not going to fault the professor, I like to see when people rediscover their childhood computers and share them with their children, family and friends.

That said, like everyone else here, the fact that this made it to CNN as something amazing and rare is crazy. The humor and annoyance really is pointed to CNN as further proof that there is no such thing as researched news articles anymore. In the old days, they would have used that as a catalyst into an article on the retro computing hobby, not the sole article itself.

I don't mean to demean the discoverer or discount the discovery. I am simply pointing up the tendency for people to ask "What's it worth?" and the tendency for eBay to inflate people's expectations.

As an example: the 50-pin SCSI drive that you used to find for $20 - $50 has become a $70 - $150 eBay listing now. Not more reliable, not even more desirable, just floating upward in price due to tacit agreement by sellers that more $ is better. The 68-pin drives, presumably newer and possibly better-built, are considerably lower in price; still around the $20 - $50 range.

As for the "news": It's entertainment. Actual, factual, important news went out of fashion long ago. Anybody remember the movie "Network"? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/

-CH-

Ha, machines built back in the day generally will last a long time! I think if you sneeze near an Apple iphone now, then it'll fall apart :D

Back