• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I live mail-in rebates!

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
This is absolutely hysterical! Sort of an impulse buy, I order 2 Asus usb bluetooth 4.0 adapters. Abouy 6$ per all said and done, after rebate mind you. So I kind of don't remember to jump through all the hoops until the evening of the day the envelope is supposed to be postmarked. Damn. So I say what's the harm in the cost of a stamp. I register on the website, print out a horribly illegible rebate form, jam everything in the envelope, and drop it in the box the morning *after* the cutoff date. Then drive away and with solemnity contemplate all the sorrow and suffering going on in the world at that very moment. And that kind of sort of made me feel less ticked off. And nothing, absolutely nothing gets my goat more then screwing up a rebate. It's my money and I want it!

Alright so a week or so goes by and I receive this taunting little email stating they received my submission and they're looking it over, and will keep e abreast of their findings. Aww bless yer black greedy little hearts. Then a few hours later I get another email stating my rebate was approved!!! And in 8 - 10 weeks I'll get to stuff my fat face with Burger King just like I did today. And it's on them!! Beggorah, wot a country!

And do you want to know the strangest bit of all ... I sent it to the wrong address!!! I couldn't read the address on the rebate form, that printer is so mangled up, so I found *an* address with google that corresponded to some other Asus rebate. Wrong address, wrong state even! But I'm still getting it. I got the email, they.can't deny me now!

So it just goes to show it never hurts to try. You'll never know unless you try. Hot damn.

Every trip to Menards means another rebate. Some you actually get*, some just disappear somehow. The worst though is Jägermeister. I got a "Thank you for sending us all your personal information for our uses, but you did not fill out the form correctly so sorry but now you are not eligible for our rebates anymore." They even sent back a fax-quality copy of the form which I obviously correctly filled out.

*Does in-store credit even count?

I've been bombarded by that jingle almost constantly for almost half a century.

I tend to buy things from Newegg.com that have rebates as well as sale prices, have yet to be denied. Those prepaid credit cards are kind of a pain and I just buy Newegg gift certificates that don't run out and spend them that way. Why don't they still use checks people can cash?

I tend to buy things from Newegg.com that have rebates as well as sale prices, have yet to be denied. Those prepaid credit cards are kind of a pain and I just buy Newegg gift certificates that don't run out and spend them that way. Why don't they still use checks people can cash?

Because they're hoping that you won't redeem them.

Well it's far easier to register the card, online or on the phone, then it is to deposit a check. Unless you have a funky app. It *may* be less of a book keeping hassle to supply cards, don't know.

And that reminds me, I lost a 10$ card lol somewhere in the house. But I vow to find it. They're not jipping me out of that 10$.

I once got an 850 watt power supply from NE for 20$. They lowered the price, there was a substantial rebate, then I looked later in the week and they lowered it again. 20 bucks. Granted it's a no name, unknown name probably overrated thing. But still, 20 bucks. When I want a deal I'll get it. Barring that mystery meat Xeon :(

Last edited:
The cards are good for face value for something like a year then after that they take out a fee until they are empty. So if you lost a rebate card a few years ago it is probably worthless now.

Are you sure? That's illegal in Wisconsin. I'm not sure which other states might have done this, too.

This rebates card thingy is mainly an American phenomenon, isn't it? Can't say I've run into it anywhere else. It sounds like a lot of hassle though..
(I've got enough issues with 'point cards' for fuel - at one point I got rid of them all, and now I have a single credit card which I connected to a rebate system that gives me an automatic and immediate price reduction on the pump price if I fill at a couple of specific stations. Anything more complex than that I don't want to handle.)

Possibly; but then I haven't run into it in the USA either. Only "rewards" cards. All the rebates I've ever tried involved paper checks, vouchers, or coupons.

I wouldn't call those "rewards" cards rebates because there's no work involved in receiving them. Purchase something, points accumulate, and the cards (annoyingly) show up in the mail.

Possibly; but then I haven't run into it in the USA either. Only "rewards" cards. All the rebates I've ever tried involved paper checks, vouchers, or coupons.

If I had to I would have guessed I'd see 'cheque' in the preceding sentence.

I don't know the cards seem easier to deal with then.cheques. Perhaps that's even the reason they started using them. People moaned over cheques, and fewer people use banks these days.

I thought the days of not needing a bank account were long gone. Even small employers require direct deposit these days.

Back