• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kitchen Whiz Computer MIT Works, Like new.

solarpv

Experienced Member
Kitwiz.JPG
Working, Like New, never used. $20.00 includes shipping and paypal.

Attachments

• photo62731.jpg
    photo62731.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1
Interesting device, but doesn't do what a lot of cooks want. Recipes in Europe and other countries use weights of ingredients; US uses volumes. So, for example, in the US, a recipe will call for a cup of flour; in Europe it will be 140 grams, if white all-purpose flour is being measured. A cup of semolina or whole wheat flour will weigh differently. A cup of granulated sugar, as another example, weighs somewhere around 200 grams. So I keep a kitchen scale around, rather than try to figure out conversions.

But it's an interesting calculator nonetheless.

Absolutely true. I worked in restaurants for a while. Weights VS volumes is a big deal. A cup of flour can weigh all over the place.. Weights work best. Want to see something even stranger.. Look at any iron curtain cook books. They call for 1 unit of yeast or 1 unit of soda.. How much is a UNIT!? they were the rationed size of that item during the cold war....

Reminds me of my grandmother cooking. A pinch of this, a smidgeon of that. Only she knew what those translated to in real quantities. Yet she was a fantastic
cook and made lots of pastry type stuff that I miss even to this day.

I recall my late father-in-law visiting with his notebook watching me cook supper. I'm another one of those "pinch of this" cooks, but he was a retired university professor. So he was always asking "how much of that do you use?" My response was "enough".
I was raised in a large-ish family (5 kids) and chores were assigned. I had my choice of doing the cooking or the cleaning up. I chose cooking--something I do not regret to this day.

I thought that I was doing the OP a favor by trying to get an active discussion going, rather than having the post age into oblivion. This is, after all, the "off topic" forum.

I won't do it to you again, solarpv.

No worries, I just thought I did something wrong when listing it. Maybe I will list more items here.
Thanks

Hmm in fact this off-topic about kitchen measures is quite interesting, and in my opinion raises interest about it. For me it is not affordable at the moment(need money for holidays) but I think this Kitchen Whiz may be interesting part of collection, especially for people who collect some computers like Jornada etc.

Back