• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WANTED: 3DFX Voodoo2 PCI card

CU_AMiGA

Hi

Am on the lookout for a pci version of the 3dfx voodoo2 graphics card. If anyone has one then please get in touch.

Thanks for your time

It's unlikely anyone here will sell you one. However, there are quite a few on ebay lurking around.

Here's a V2 12MB for $50, cheap as they'll get for ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3DFX-VooDoo-2-12MB-PCI-Video-Card-Tested-Good-/280948620828?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4169d7be1c
(has the nice trapezoidal-headed pass through cable)

I was able to obtain a voodoo 2, voodoo 3 2000 & 3000, a voodoo 4 4500 (AGP 4x!), and a voodoo 5 5000 PCI w/ DVI.

I'd recommend any voodoo 2 except the STB manufactured ones: they use SMT electrolytics which are far inferior to tantulums. Also, the creative ones may have a messier output, but I don't have one to confirm that.

PS: AGP voodoo 2s are super, super rare.

/shrug I like my SLI set of STB cards hmmm wow, bought them ... 14 years ago? but playing Quake 2 @ 1024 was awsome hahaha

I think I actually have the Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 lying around somewhere.
That was after I picked up a set of Diamond's Voodoo2 SLI cards + Hercules' ET6k card.

I think I actually have the Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 lying around somewhere.
That was after I picked up a set of Diamond's Voodoo2 SLI cards + Hercules' ET6k card.

Yeah, I have the X24 in a bin somewhere, too. Works great - I just need a system to put it in.

Hhmmm the prices on amazon seem to be a lot cheaper than on ebay us! Indeed the ebay uk site has some listed that are much cheaper!

Contact The Hackery. I do believe they have at least one available.

A pair of voodoo 2's on a single card, some jerkwad is showing off on ebay FIVE of them. He is selling one and the bid is already at $140.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160870675610

Quantum Obsidian bricks and the slices of thereof are highly sought after simply because they are power hungry beasts. Their polygon pushing count could even stand up rather well against the higher end Silicon Graphics systems at the time.

I know this is a litle off topic but how do you identify a v2 with 8 or 12mb ram?
I have a Diamond monster 3d II in my collection and i'd like to know.

I know this is a litle off topic but how do you identify a v2 with 8 or 12mb ram?
I have a Diamond monster 3d II in my collection and i'd like to know.
12MB models have EDO RAM chips soldered on both the top and the bottom. 8MB models only have them soldered on the top (so at the bottom of the card you'll see empty solder pads).

Are you talking about the banshee (2D+3D on one card)?
Absolutely not: Quantum made a few AGP based Voodoo 2 cards, like this one:
quantum3d_obsidian2_agp_tilt.jpg
Although that's not the one I was thinking of. It literally looked like a standard V2 reference board, except with AGP.

The price is absurdly low, then again it is an 8mb card. From my experience people avoid them as if they are the cause of cancer.

Technically, if you get the 90Mhz EDO chips that'll work, you could solder them on and make it 12MB.

I never realy seen a breakdown on what games needed the extra texture RAM or if the 8/12MB difference affected SLI performance. Think I have an 8MB model on the shelf along with other spare Voodoo 1/2/3's. What is harder to find are the video cables needed to connect a V2 to your 2D card.

Back