Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Wanted: Pair of Slot 1 Pentium III CPUs - 750MHz and up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted: Pair of Slot 1 Pentium III CPUs - 750MHz and up

I've been restoring an old workstation of mine lately, it has a SuperMicro P6DGU motherboard and two 500MHz CPUs at the moment. This thing was a beast but I would like to push it even further and as slotkets have failed me I have taken to the internet to try and locate some better cpus but to no avail.

So I figured I would try my luck here if anybody has any cpus of this type, even if you only have one feel free to say so and suggest me a price (unless you'd rather I made you an offer) as someone else may have another of the same model. - if you do this I want the model number though (i.e; SL5QV) as they must be exactly the same. If you feel more comfortable sending a PM than posting in the forum for some reason, that's fine.

I am only interested in CPUs of 750MHz or higher, they must be Slot 1, they must have an FSB of 100MHz. I'd prefer them to come with a heatsink but looking at the thermal ratings I can probably bolt the ones from my current processors onto them if I have to.

I am of course prepared to pay shipping and any customs charges that may arise if you are outside of the UK. I am only prepared to pay via paypal though. I can assure you I'm a reliable buyer.
    YouTube (Mostly DOS Stuff) | Let's Plays (Mostly DOS Games) | Twitch.TV | Duke4.net
    DOSBox sucks, my Casio is better than your Roland and my clone is better than your overblown proprietary box.

if I recall correctly, that board and chipset will only accept 100mhz fsb processors. So if you are looking for s-specs and such, i'd look here: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentiu...H1000256).html
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

I run a P6DGE (no onboard SCSI) with two 1GHz/133 P3 Coppermine CPUs. At the default 100MHz FSB, they run at 750MHz.

However, the board's BIOS does have overclock settings and the 440GX chipset is certainly capable of a certain amount of abuse (arguably one of the best chipsets Intel has ever made). I have run this thing at 133MHz FSB, but look out--the weak point in all of this is the naked northbridge chip--even under normal operation, it gets pretty warm and it will pack up in short order when overclocked.

Adding a heat sink to it helps tremendously and a fan with the heatsink should be even better.

The default cooling arrangement for the CPUs is also somewhat inadequate--it relies on the little-fan-on-a-heatsink philosophy and the board is pretty cramped for good airflow. I use the "naked" heatsinks with a 120 mm fan positioned above both CPUs, blowing air down into them. That works a treat.

A bit of warning is that if you use ECC RAM, this thing seems to take forever to get through POST. On mine, I have only 1.5GB installed as there seems to be an issue with some operating systems leaving room for the AGP aperture.

I run Debian, XP and Win98SE (takes a bit of tinkering, but it works reliably). All in all, a great US-made motherboard.
      Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

i actually just won an auction for a Supermico P6DGH, so ironically... I'm in the same boat you are in now. However I've been told my board will only accept up to 600mhz katmai chips. :P

Comment

@luckybob; It does only accept 100MHz CPUs (And 66MHz). Thanks, that page will be useful - I was using the list at Wikipedia which has poor formatting in places. Edit: Congrats on your purchase. Mine officially only supports 750 but I have seen people run 800Mhz chips in the P6DGU at least, I think this is due to the multiplier being fixed on the CPU.

@Chuck(G); I thought that would happen with those. I can actually get a pair of those cheap on ebay at the moment but was avoiding it in the hopes of getting something faster and I wasn't sure what they would do, I may grab those as for 10 it'll be worth it and I can always change them later. My BIOS has no overclocking options (the manual) but my chipset already has a heatsink - probably because of the extra features on the DGU boards adding heat to the case. I doubt I could fit a fan on there anyway.

My current processors run at 30C under load, confirmed by external probe. Funny thing is, I was going to add a 120MM fan above them, because if I add some 90 meccano (seriously useful stuff!) there are some perfectly spaced holes in my case for it. This board has overheat protection anyway. Mine always takes a while to POST, even since I switched to non-ECC. I have the full 2GB installed and due to some trickery I can sort of use it all under Windows 98. XP runs fine as it is.

Indeed a quality USA product, I only ever use SuperMicro anyway... I'm a sucker for products made or designed in the USA
          YouTube (Mostly DOS Stuff) | Let's Plays (Mostly DOS Games) | Twitch.TV | Duke4.net
          DOSBox sucks, my Casio is better than your Roland and my clone is better than your overblown proprietary box.

Comment

Well, using 133MHz FSB 1GHz Coppermines will still get you 750MHz at 100MHz FSB, so I'd say the outlay if they're cheap is worth it. Mine are from an old IBM server, so they're even a pair.

As regards overclocking, we share the same manual and BIOS. Look at Chapter 5, page 5-13. See the "Manufacturer's Setting" and the "leave this at Mode 0" admonishment? I'll bet you never touch things with "wet paint" signs, either. At any rate, a few years ago, SuperMicro actually mentioned the overclocking capability of the P6G boards (it's not there any longer). But here are the FSB frequencies for that "Wet Paint!" menu choice:

Mode 0 - 100Mhz
            Mode 1 - 100Mhz
            Mode 2 - 106Mhz
            Mode 3 - 112Mhz
            Mode 4 - 83 Mhz
            Mode 5 - 133Mhz

As far as a fan support, I was more brutal. This motherboard is in a 4U rackmount case with plenty of room topside. So I made a small fan holder out of a few strips of acrylic stock. These lock into the heatsink's ridges and support a fan right above the 2 CPUs. Since this is a rackmount case with several fans, I'm not worried about general case heating, just "hot spots".

Now, tell me how I can run 98SE with 2GB of memory... I've already applied the "unauthorized 2nd service pack".

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
              ...Now, tell me how I can run 98SE with 2GB of memory... I've already applied the "unauthorized 2nd service pack".
              honestly, that should be a moot point. these are dual cpu systems and should be running a dual cpu operating system.

that said, there is this: http://computermemoryupgrade.mysuper...f_memory.shtml

then there is a "patch" that you can pay for:
              http://www.pcworld.com/product/95357...ion-patch.html

Comment

If Win98SE was all I wanted to run, then I'd agree. But as I mentioned, this is a triple-boot system (XP, Debian in addition), so I'd like to be able to use the extra RAM that I have. For Win98, I've already got a 1GB RAMDisk in upper high memory memory (using XMSMEM.SYS as the XMS driver and XMSDISK.SYS as the disk).

Comment

Quick Edit: I wrote this before the two posts above appeared, you may be able to modify your existing RAM Drive, but it MUST be at the end of RAM.

Funny thing is, the reason I tracked down the manual was to find out what that did and was planning on testing it today. Now I know what it does, so I shall be attempting to run the CPUs at that speed.

To run Windows 98 with 2GB you will have to mess with the vitrual memory, it has the potential to actually decrease performance if you run a lot of large apps as you limit the memory size a lot, otherwise, it actually increases performance. This method is not practical on an OS that can address the memory properly.

First, open SYSTEM.INI in the Windows folder and find the line [386Enh] under which you either need to add or edit the line MaxPhysPage= so it reads MaxPhysPage=1FFFF - this will limit the OS to 512MB of RAM only. Make sure the OS still boots before continuing.

Download HIMEMX and install it somewhere (I use C:\Windows\Command\) and edit the CONFIG.SYS file, if you have HIMEM.SYS loaded, you don't need it anymore. Instead use DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\HIMEMX.EXE.

You may also need to add
                  DOS=HIGH
                  FILES=240
                  BUFFERS=64,8
                  FCBS=40,8
                  STACKS=18,256

You might want to edit your MSDOS.SYS with BootGUI=0 for troubleshooting.

Download XMSDSK and put it in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ before editing AUTOEXEC.BAT
                  Add the line LH XMSDSK 1536000 /T /Y (This is a little ocer 1.4GB, you can tweak it later) and reboot the machine. This was for a 2GB install, you would have to use a lower value... Maybe around 983040 (Try 980000 to be safe - assuming AGP Apeture is 64MB)

You should get a message saying which letter the disk is on. Assuming you did stop the gui boot and the ramdisk is E: you can EDIT C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI and go back to the [386Enh] section, now add or edit the line PagingDrive=E:

Back on the DOS prompt, type WIN to load Windows. Check the MS-RAMDRIVE in My Computer, there should be a WIN386.SWP on there. Leave the drive alone and try to run a few things. Windows may fail to boot and get an out of memory. This seems to be related to poor allocation and the AGP Apeture, lower the size on the XMSDSK line in Autoexec.bat. If everything works, you can try raising that value. The RAMDISK must be loaded BEFORE Windows.

Comment

Pretty much what I do, but I still get 98SE GUI hanging. It could be the AGP card I'm using (3dfx Voodoo).

Comment

3dfx
                      Eww, I'd blame anything that went wrong in the machine on that. Recently had a real hard time removing one from a single P3 system I use and it still freezes when I try to start 3D applications - no doubt I'll have to re-install the OS and spend a week setting my MIDI gear up again. I know they have a following and all, I can respect that even though I don't understand it, but I have never had a good experience when running 3DFX cards.

Oh, and if anyone is bothered, I bought these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-IN...item3c9ceab5f9 - (Caleb from Blood) "Hmm, this promises to be fun."
                      Last edited by High_Treason; May 21, 2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Here's my CONFIG.SYS as it now stands with 1.5GB installed:

Code:
                        DEVICE=C:\XMS\HIMEM\HIMEMX.EXE /NUMHANDLES=64
                        DOS=HIGH,UMB
                        FILES=50
                        LASTDRIVE=Z
                        DEVICEHIGH=TIMCD.SYS /D:MSCD0000
                        and then in AUTOEXEC.BAT:

Code:
                        C:\XMS\XMSDISK\XMSDSK.EXE S: 768000 /Y /T
                        Works fine with 1.5GB, but hangs at Windows GUI startup with 2GB.

Comment

That's a mystery to me as I can't reproduce it without raising my disk size above 1.43GB, presumably something tries to allocate that memory or else the system simply can't allocate it.

All I can say is to play with it given that I'm still tweaking my own setup. I suspect the whole thing is kind of "hit-and-miss" as to wether it will work though. Keep in mind I only discovered this around two days ago (despite the idea being in my head for around a decade). Mostly because the system was running Windows 2003 the last time I used it and didn't require such things to be done.

Comment

Right, I don't like double posting, but I'm also not sure wether to start a new thread, so I'll use this one. If admins/mods/whoever thinks otherwise, I'll create a new one.

So @chuck(g); My SL4BS processors arrived today, the system will not boot with these installed - blank screen although the keyboard LEDs flash, did I miss something?

I set the multiplier to 7.5 (jumpers seem to be right to left, but I tried it the other way too) and also set the FSB jumper to 100MHz (as opposed to auto) but neither combination seems to work. I have only one other S1 board capable of using P3's and it's not reliable though they seem to run in that one. I did update the BIOS with the newest one I could get from archives of SuperMicro's site (though as far as I can tell, R3.1 was the only release they ever did outside of R2.1 that the board came with) - oddly the POST screen still says R2.1

There are no beeps from the PC Speaker.

Comment

SL4BS processors are 133 fsb. Not 100. Also, if the bios revision did not change, you didnt flash it correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X